OVH Community, your new community space.

Deliveries 28/08/2009

impstimp
09-09-2009, 00:04
same here, I've had to pay for a few days longer on the hope that it will arrive soon.

gigabit
08-09-2009, 23:17
i was hoping to get it before my other server renewed on Sunday... damn

impstimp
08-09-2009, 22:39
From my phone conversation today, I was told I had a couple people ahead of me on the list and that it would probably be another WEEK! Not entirely happy about having my £140 sitting in OVH's bank account gaining interest rather than mine, but not a lot I can do about that...They're continuing to list the servers as 72hrs which I think is a little bit sneeky

gigabit
08-09-2009, 19:14
I hope the EG SSDs wont be too much longer!

drrmoa
07-09-2009, 20:25
Quote Originally Posted by gigabit
My order status for an EG SSD has looked like this for a couple of days now:
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/1940/egssd.jpg
Is it stuck or is that just how the delay for the EG SSDs is being shown in the manager?

I think so, my EG SSD order is showing the same (ordered last week)

gigabit
04-09-2009, 13:54
My order status for an EG SSD has looked like this for a couple of days now:
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/1940/egssd.jpg
Is it stuck or is that just how the delay for the EG SSDs is being shown in the manager?

Andy
30-08-2009, 17:11
Yes, but I'm talking about what Intel advertised. They may have used a certain cluster size on a Windows machine for testing, we don't know. Only an Intel representative could probably tell you that.

derchris
30-08-2009, 17:02
There is no cluster size on a Linux FS. It is only on FAT/NTFS.
On Linux you have inodes. But the good thing with Linux us, that you can tweak the FS to your requirenments.

Andy
30-08-2009, 16:48
Cluster size also has a lot to do with it too remember. It might be based on a different size to what you used. EG a smaller cluster size is better for lots of tiny files, a larger cluster size is better for low numbers of large files. Read/Write speeds also change in accordance with this.

Of course the manufacturers are going to quote the maximum speeds obtained with large files and large clusters to show off the speed of the drive. And as always real life vs advertised rates will vary in the real world because of such decisions.

Myatu
30-08-2009, 16:17
@derchris: It doesn't show the Intel SSD that OVH uses

@impstimp: Bonnie++ does a nice job of giving realistic values. It's pretty easy to install as well. On Debian/Ubuntu it is:
Code:
sudo apt-get install bonnie++
Or on CentOS / Fedora:
Code:
yum install bonnie++
And to test:
Code:
bonnie++ -u nobody -d /tmp
It takes quite a while to complete the test, but I assume that with SSD's it'll burn through this test like it's nothing, if it lives up to the hype...

Here's a sample output of a production SP BestOf (2x 750GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA [32MB Cache] in a softraid RAID-1 setup -- advertised as capable of doing 120 MB/sec sustained ):

Code:
Version 1.03d       ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
                    -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
Machine        Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP  /sec %CP
ashanti          8G 63401  88 80299  18 42638   7 57556  69 73694   5 187.0   0
                    ------Sequential Create------ --------Random Create--------
                    -Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- --Read--- -Delete--
              files  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP
                 16  4596  96 +++++ +++ +++++ +++  4854  97 +++++ +++ 16105  96
So, an 8GB file written byte for byte was 61 MB/sec (63401 / 1024) and block-writes at 78 MB/sec. So it shows that advertised rates vs. real world (especially when used with a softraid) are quite different.

Andy
30-08-2009, 12:47
Quote Originally Posted by impstimp
@ Myatu,

What you want me to do?
I expect he would want some figures for read/write times. Something like CrystalDiskMark would be a great place to start (windows program tho).

impstimp
30-08-2009, 12:41
@ Myatu,

What you want me to do?

derchris
29-08-2009, 17:03
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Just out of curiosity, could you run a benchmark on the SSDs? I could get them from Intel, but having them from an OVH server gives a bit more "real world" numbers of what to expect... Only if you don't mind, of course -- it's not of huge importance
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts...ttern,732.html

Myatu
29-08-2009, 16:23
Just out of curiosity, could you run a benchmark on the SSDs? I could get them from Intel, but having them from an OVH server gives a bit more "real world" numbers of what to expect... Only if you don't mind, of course -- it's not of huge importance

impstimp
29-08-2009, 13:47
Waiting for this also, I currently have one of the MG SSDs as well. Nice machine

yonatan
29-08-2009, 00:56
go EG SSD !!!
can't wait for it already , i already paid for it a week ago
new hardware is always a good thing to have!
hope to get it s soon as possible!

*Mikee*
28-08-2009, 14:13
Hello, it delivers almost 95 % of orders in 1 hour. The problem of Windows has been resolved and all orders have been delivered.
We have always small delay on the fat.

The i7 - XX Kimsufi and EG DSS: the 1/09 Tuesday night should deliver all orders for Kimsufi i7 - XX. It was all parts and it is under manufacturing orders.
To Thursday/Friday 3 - 7 / 09 should deliver all orders of EG DSS with new Xeon Nehalem i7. The new bomb at Ovh in the brief, for orders that you have spent for the Kimsufi i7-XX/EG DSS will power all deliver current next week. For new orders, everything depends on amount. As the new references it is based on your orders. Therefore the deliveries are not in 1 hour but in 2-3 days during the start of these new offerings.
As soon there are commands, it produces servers. To end September should arrive at the usual in 1 hour but not before delivery.

Best regards octave

oles@ovh.net
28-08-2009, 13:52
Hello,

We have delivered almost 95% of orders within 1 hour. The problem with Windows has been resolved and all orders have been delivered. We are still running a little behind with MG.

Regarding Kimsufi i7-XX and EG SSD, tuesday night 1 / 09, we should have delivered all our Kimsufi i7-XX orders.
We have all the parts to complete the orders. Around Thursday / Friday 3-7/09 we should have delivered all the EG SSD orders with the new Xeon Nehalem i7, the new bomb at OVH.

In short, orders that you have made for the Kimsufi i7-XX/EG SSD will be up and running next week. For the new orders, delivery is depending on quantity. As these are new we are going according to your orders. So supplies are not in 1 hour but within 2-3 days of starting these new offerings.

As soon as the orders come in, the servers will be made. Toward the end of September we should arrive at a regular delivery of 1 hour but not before.

Regards
Octave