OVH Community, your new community space.

Dedicated server for a novice?

Dave
05-05-2008, 12:32
Quote Originally Posted by OVH.Customer
Security will be a high priority if you're running an e-commerce website and therefore I suggest that you pay somebody, or a company, to configure the server for you if you're serious about this which I assume you are if you are running an online business. This won't be cheap though. What budget do you have?
I've got to agree, a dedicated server is a step in the right direction compared to shared hosting but an incorrectly setup/un-secure dedicated server can be as secure as posting your credit card number on this forum

If your set on an un-managed server from OVH then you might want consider finding a company to manage the server for you, there are lots of company's who specialize in setting up and regularly updating servers for a small cost.

OVH.Customer
04-05-2008, 23:23
Security will be a high priority if you're running an e-commerce website and therefore I suggest that you pay somebody, or a company, to configure the server for you if you're serious about this which I assume you are if you are running an online business. This won't be cheap though. What budget do you have?

Andy
04-05-2008, 22:52
Hello,

OVH servers are sold as 100% unmanaged, this means you must control everything on it yourself. OVH will not do this for you. You can hire a 3rd party company at cost to install and maintain the server for you but the price for such a service can be steep.

If you do go for an unmanaged server you will need to know how to correct faults when they occur. Servers don't take care of themselves and will need attention by somebody who knows their way around the system.

Unless you know your way around Linux, Windows might be a better option. It can run everything you have shown below as far as I am aware. I couldn't find the known problems section you mention in your post so I could not see what would affect the software and how it could potentially be solved.

leeaston
04-05-2008, 22:15
Hi, I'd like to setup a dedicated server to run Magento ecommerce software, but have no experience in Linux what so ever. Is it realistic that I can setup a server as described below and are there help docs to walk me through it step-by-step. Or can I even hire someone to do it for me?

Thanks very much
Lee

Link to system requirements or see below:
Linux or another UNIX-compatible operating system (Windows is also supported, but see the Known Issues section below)
Apache Web Server (1.x or 2.x)
PHP 5.2.0 or newer, with the following extensions/addons:
PDO/MySQL
mcrypt
hash
simplexml
GD
DOM
iconv
MySQL 4.1.20 or newer
A Sendmail-compatible Mail Transfer Agent (MTA) - Magento will connect directly to an SMTP server if you don't have an MTA
We also recommend the use of APC as a bytecode cache for performance improvements. You can find it in the PECL archives here: http://pecl.php.net/package/APC. Other bytecode cache systems are not supported at this time.