OVH Community, your new community space.

RIPE failovers: how geolocation works please?

stickman
03-09-2009, 13:43
Quote Originally Posted by zimsters
ip is 94.23.113.150.

your first url points it to germany. second points to france. whois.sc/94.23.113.150 points to UK. i signed up for denmark.
Ok, let's try to solve the puzzle...

inetnum: 94.23.113.148 - 94.23.113.151
netname: den
descr: denmark ips
admin-c: OK217-RIPE
tech-c: OTC2-RIPE
mnt-by: OVH-MNT
source: RIPE # Filtered

% Information related to '94.23.0.0/16AS16276'

route: 94.23.0.0/16
descr: OVH ISP
descr: Paris, France
origin: AS16276

This is the relevant whois information for the network we are dealing with, so...

maxmind takes the DE from country (OVH, you should know that DE stands for DEutschland, not for DEnmark, DK)

geoiptool looks to the descr field of the route info, so we have the IP located in France.

whois.sc has to be using an old database.
Even though they show the updated whois output from the RIPE database, they don't parse it in real time, but instead they surely have a database with all the parsed information.

So, I'm guessing some days (let's hope for days) ago, your IP had in the country field something like: GB or UK, and hence the UK location.

For instance, if you take the ip address 94.23.113.240 and try to locate it in the whois.sc database you'll get it's in Germany.

inetnum: 94.23.113.240 - 94.23.113.255
netname: GLOBAL-INT-S02-DE01
descr: Global Interactive Limited S02 DE01
This one hasn't changed for sometime (can't be sure, but I almost am), so it gets the DE right.

If I got everything right that should solve your puzzle.

Now, solutions... there isn't really one that will work for us unless they change the way they handle the ripe netblocks.

For the failover ip's that should be easy. Just handle failovers that have all the country and descr fields addressed to the correct country.

For the netblocks, if you want contiguous IP for the same country/netblock follow the same procedure.

If you want an ip from each country in a 4 ip netblock for instance, that will never work.

zimsters
03-09-2009, 13:13
Quote Originally Posted by stickman
Well, without knowing the IP Address it's hard to tell.

The only thing I'm sure of is that there are at least two different implementations of GeoIP tools.

One of them just looks to the netname, descr and country fields, so if these change you would get the country it shows once the geoip database gets updated.

This one happens to show this:
http://www.maxmind.com/app/locate_ip

On the other hand, the other implementation (the one used by google or iplayer for instance), seem to look further. in the routing information, where we have just the descr and origin fields.

You can test for yourself the second one here:

http://www.geoiptool.com
ip is 94.23.113.150.

your first url points it to germany. second points to france. whois.sc/94.23.113.150 points to UK. i signed up for denmark.

stickman
03-09-2009, 11:49
Well, without knowing the IP Address it's hard to tell.

The only thing I'm sure of is that there are at least two different implementations of GeoIP tools.

One of them just looks to the netname, descr and country fields, so if these change you would get the country it shows once the geoip database gets updated.

This one happens to show this:
http://www.maxmind.com/app/locate_ip

On the other hand, the other implementation (the one used by google or iplayer for instance), seem to look further. in the routing information, where we have just the descr and origin fields.

You can test for yourself the second one here:

http://www.geoiptool.com

BTW, I just got my ticket closed the only explanation:

IP 94.23.154.81 is from UK, just check the whois info...

% Information related to '94.23.152.0 - 94.23.159.255'

inetnum: 94.23.152.0 - 94.23.159.255
netname: UK-OVH
descr: OVH Ltd

zimsters
03-09-2009, 10:25
ok so here's a puzzle for you.

An IP I purchased that was supposed to be denmark showed France initially, then UK, and this morning it now shows germany.

using www.ip-address.com.

If I use whois.sc, it shows IP location britain.

how is that possible?

stickman
02-09-2009, 13:38
Yeah, had a look to the range you are having problems with: 94.23.0.0/16

This is the routing information for the WHOLE netblock

% Information related to '94.23.0.0/16AS16276'

route: 94.23.0.0/16
origin: AS16276
Now, if you ask them to give you a subnet range, let's say a 16 ip subnet, they create it and change the information for the netblock so for instance:

% Information related to '94.23.113.64 - 94.23.113.127'

inetnum: 94.23.113.64 - 94.23.113.127
netname: FLOSOFT-SEESMIC01
descr: Flosoft.biz - Seesmic Network 01

But, even though there it says this is a DE ip range, some geoip tools will never think it is since they look also elsewhere as I suppose you already read in the UK thread.

We're thinking it might be the first bit where it says:

Some way, either they have a database where OVH ISP == France or they have a look to the second line.

In the UK case:

descr: UK OVH
descr: London, UK

zimsters
02-09-2009, 10:51
looks like people are facing similar'ish issues in the
OVH Uk IP's and Network thread.

zimsters
02-09-2009, 10:47
hey guys,

hopefully one of you can clear up this issue, I've had a ticket open for more than a week with ovh with no explanation or resolution as yet.

ok, in the old ip failover system, i'd select a country to add my ip, get an ip. if i ran a whois of that ip, the location would be from that country. I order spain, i got a 94.23.84.xx ip which shows in whois: "IP Location: Spain Spain Ovh Hispano "

But now, with this new RIPE system I tried to do something similar. got 4x4 blocks, chose from spain, italy, ireland and belgium.

so you'd expect the ips to be from different subnets, with the ability for me to run a whois and see the country.

i get the ips moments later. They're contiguous ips, all showing location: france. block is 94.23.113.xxx.

Needless to say I call and ask what all this is about, how can geolocation ips a) show france under whois and b) all be contiguous range of ips claiming to be from different countries?

ovh's only response is that if you run a whois, ignore the ip location (umm, isn't that the whole point of geolocation?) but look at the "== Additional Information From whois://whois.ripe.net:43 ==" section which in my case shows:

inetnum: 94.23.113.xxx - 94.23.113.xxx
netname: belgium
descr: belgian ips
Well, yeah - this is what I typed in. i could've typed in ooglabooglaland and it'd have shown description / netname as ooglabooglaland. the point is the ip is still french, not from belgium.

am i missing something as to how RIPE functions?

edit: i just ran whois again and now the ips show UK instead of france. still, not what i asked for.