OVH Community, your new community space.

Plesk 8.0 Distribution

undisclosedp
10-05-2008, 22:31
I would probably go through the effort of doing that had I still got a plesk box, unfortunatly I gave up on plesk at ovh over a year ago (because fc2 was so ancient) and all my stuff is admin'd now without a web panel by hand by myself so I don't have a plesk back up to try it with. The reason for wanting to go back to plesk is to allow some people access to change things without necessarily giving them shell access and the ability to fck up everything but its not an urgent thing, I'll keep an eye on the new beta distros and see what happens.

IainK
06-05-2008, 15:19
undisclosedp, I would really recommend you giving the install a try but then just backing up your plesk to the ftp backup space.

Then re-install again with CentOS 5, Debian 4, Fedora 8, something sufficient and fresh install Plesk yourself then all it takes is one command to restore nothing but the license key on your fresh server.

I don't see any reason what so ever that would prevent this from working.

If you aren't up for it I would be glad to help out as unfortunately my kimsufi doesn't come with a license but this is what I would be doing if I was going to pay for one so would be nice to hear/see how it goes!

undisclosedp
06-05-2008, 14:30
Thank you IanK, shame it so out of date Will have to think about it. Although I did notice while looking around the forums in the reloading threads that Octave did mention they have plesk 8.3 coming out soon based on Centos 5, if thats the case then I will definitely switch over. FC4 is just too ancient, and honestly isn't what I want a nice stable web hosting box to be running on.

IainK
06-05-2008, 05:38
I can answer this one for you.

I've just re-installed the Plesk 8 distribution and can confirm the following from the welcome email:

FURTHER INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR SERVER:

Your server is based on a Ferdora Core 4 Linux system. Several
softwares are installed in order to use them in a classic
web hosting context.
- Web: apache2 / php5 / ssl
- Base: MySQL4
- E-mail: qmail
- FTP: proftpd
- Admin: Plesk8.0

If you have ordered a Plesk license of 30 domains or more, it will be effective in few minutes. Meanwhile, it is possible for you to use the interface, which is limited to 1 domain.

So it's fedora core 4, I thought I should double check and a quick vi /etc/fedora-release confirms it.

Sorry to say still outdated by 4 versions - the software from the repos is somewhat up to date ... but there are no new packages and some software is quite old.
I read on the plesk forums that performing a full backup of your fresh installed server could work and that you can restore just the license key.

Try /plesk_installation_directory/bin/pleskrestore --restore -license
Cited: http://forum.swsoft.com/showthread.php?t=52426

Hope that helps!

yiso
05-05-2008, 15:39
i think you should contact the support team directly for answering this question , and anyway plesk is quite easy , sure and reliable , so i dont think that the new verision will present you something fancy

thanks ,,

undisclosedp
05-05-2008, 15:28
Hi there,

I used to have a dedi with OVH running plesk 7.5 which was based on the ancient (even at the time) fedora core 2. It was a right pain in the arse to keep up to date and had none of the latest apps I wanted in its repos. So in the end I ditched it for CentOS with no admin panel. I'd like to now go back to Plesk 8 (I need to give some clients access to a web admin panel) but I don't want to be lumbered with an out of date/useless base distribution. So my question is. What base is the Plesk 8 distribution, and if its something useless (fedora core 3 for example) can i use a license from OVH to do my own install on say, centos 5?

Cheers

UDP