OVH Community, your new community space.

Strange FTP speed prob

Andy
04-09-2009, 10:31
Strange, I can still max out to 10Mbps here. Thats technology for you

freshwire
04-09-2009, 10:30
Same speed with SSL.

I doubt it's virgin since I take the very same route to my own server except after arriving in OVH and FTP is maxing @ 2.5MB/s.

Andy
04-09-2009, 10:05
Strange then. Not sure who your ISP is since I forget (Virgin I think?) but maybe there is either something going on with your router or some limiting between OVH and your end. No idea, its a strange one. Try using implicit SSL on port 50000 and see what you get through that.

freshwire
04-09-2009, 10:03
I have always gotten the 400-500KB/s from your FTP. Even from the first few weeks I was with OVH and tested your links. Yet I get full speed over HTTP.

Andy
04-09-2009, 09:26
There are no limits in place on my server, so its probably down to limiting inbetween the server and yourself. I get my full speed on the FTP from all accounts.

freshwire
04-09-2009, 06:35
You just don't have all this sillyness with linux ...

spuggie
04-09-2009, 06:04
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
I get full speed 1.15MB/s on my 10Mbps virgin line no problem. It's down to the software you use. I use filezilla FTP server at the moment, so give that a go and see what speed you get. I also use filezille FTP client as my FTP client.
Now heres the strange thing, I tried a few different FTP server clients & still the same, but put Filezilla on following your suggestion & all's cool..

Damn odd, but seems sorted now, ta for the advice..

freshwire
04-09-2009, 03:30
Andy your FTP doesn't provide great speeds on the 'media' account. I don't know if it's limited thought. I get 400-500 from there.

Edit: More support for the limited idea because on http using an image on BA I get > 2MB/s from the word go.

wackomoo
03-09-2009, 22:25
Bigger packets needed due to high latency?

Edit: Have you checked your server for malware?

Andy
03-09-2009, 21:02
I get full speed 1.15MB/s on my 10Mbps virgin line no problem. It's down to the software you use. I use filezilla FTP server at the moment, so give that a go and see what speed you get. I also use filezille FTP client as my FTP client.

freshwire
03-09-2009, 20:39
Oh yes the damn slowness of windows.

How to fix it? I don't know.

spuggie
03-09-2009, 20:06
Hi all

I have a strange problem I hope someone can help with..

I have a Best Of dedi & until recently I was running Ubuntu 8.04, but after a couple of months I decided it wasnt for me, purchased a windows licence & installed Windows server 2003 basic jobby. Actually I had to put a ticket in to get that done as it was falling over every time I tried in manager, but anyways all up n running now.

On Ubuntu I was running Home FTP server through Wine & anyone connecting to it was maxing out there bandwidth on whatever their ISP was giving them. Myself I would always max out my VM 10 MB line when not being throttled by em.

But now the most I will get from a single connection is around 450 kb/s ish. I can get that twice if I open a new connection, but it will not max out my home line on a single connection. Also others can only get 200 kb/s ish, but they can get that 2 or 3 times if they open further connections.

Ive checked Home's settings & speed limits are per account & set unlimited for all users & as far as I can see theres no global option. Im sure its something to do with windows as its only happened since the OS change?

Any help appreciated & TIA..