We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

OVH's bandwidth regime explained [Updated 04th Sept 2009]

fozl
29-09-2010, 18:56
Thread has degenerated into a muckfest, so I'm closing it.

There Must Be Order.

RapidSpeeds
28-09-2010, 22:47
Quote Originally Posted by Winit
A great way to describe your website.
I think the 'sold out' sign speaks volumes

Don't take your anger out on me, you picked the name.

Winit
27-09-2010, 21:27
Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpeeds
pos
A great way to describe your website.

RapidSpeeds
26-09-2010, 22:16
Quote Originally Posted by winit
did it occur to you that my nick might not be english? Probably not, you're that narrow minded.
pos

gregoryfenton
26-09-2010, 22:11
Can we tone it down a little please.

Attacking someone on a forum does nothing to strengthen your argument - it just takes attention away from the matter at hand.

Winit
26-09-2010, 20:33
The point is you are talking crap as per usual - it can't be done on single, nor multiple thread - so learn your product before you comment on it.
[/URL]
Go fix your crappy vmware setup before you give advice on other subjects. Oh no! That's right, you couldn't so you canned it completely. LOL.

Did it occur to you that my nick might not be English? Probably not, you're that narrow minded.

RikT
26-09-2010, 19:31

Btw,

do you actually know what winit stands for idíot? you couldn't have picked a more perfect name for yourself if you tried.

urban dictionary definition of winit
Haha I love it!!!

RapidSpeeds
26-09-2010, 18:55
The point is that it can be achieved using several threads. Run back to your pathetic template site and failed virtualisation project.
The point is you are talking crap as per usual - it can't be done on single, nor multiple thread - so learn your product before you comment on it.

Btw,

do you actually know what winit stands for idíot? you couldn't have picked a more perfect name for yourself if you tried.

urban dictionary definition of winit

Winit
26-09-2010, 11:22
Neither did anyone else - be more observant.
The point is that it can be achieved using several threads. Run back to your pathetic template site and failed virtualisation project.

RapidSpeeds
26-09-2010, 00:38
Andy didn't say anything about single thread.
Neither did anyone else - be more observant.

Winit
22-09-2010, 21:57
Andy didn't say anything about single thread.

Andy
22-09-2010, 10:05
That could work, but sending to a single location would also likely never happen due to TCP/IP constraints, yada yada. Even the best DC's don't get the full 1Gbps to anywhere outside their own network.

NickW
22-09-2010, 01:32
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Unlikely to ever happen as the HDD would bog down before anything else unless it was an SSD.
RAM disk. Or use /dev/shm

Andy
21-09-2010, 22:46
Unlikely to ever happen as the HDD would bog down before anything else unless it was an SSD.

RapidSpeeds
21-09-2010, 22:28
If it is a gigabit server, it can get gigabit up and down to and from the internet.
Andy, you show me an OVH server pushing 1Gbps to Internet (with peering, as transit would never even get close to those speeds) and i'll pay for your server for the rest of your life.

Oleg
19-09-2010, 00:06
Okay, great.

Andy
19-09-2010, 00:05
This regime is out of date. If it is a gigabit server, it can get gigabit up and down to and from the internet.

If it is 100Mbps, then it is 100Mbps up and down, to and from the internet.

The 200Mbps unmetered option only applies to servers ordered by French residents on the .com website.

Oleg
19-09-2010, 00:03
Okay, if I understand it correctly, kimsufi servers will have a gigabit speed from OVH to the Internet if one decides to sign up for the gigabit switchport option? How come someone else told me that the maximum speed kimsufi servers can upload to the Internet is only 200 Mbps even with the switchport option? So, who's right and who's wrong? What's the maximum speed that gigabit kimsufi servers can achieve when uploading to the Internet?

DedicatedPros
07-10-2009, 20:48
Quote Originally Posted by gigabit
I dont want to register on the quiet kimsufi forum so I hope someone here has a good memory... I have an old kimsufi and i originaly bought it on the traffic plan (4TB) and i was going to change the type of bandwidth, and in the manager i have two options "Standard" and "Burstable". It's obvious what the later is, but is "Standard" the old infrastructure thingy for Kimsufis? 100Mb/customer split between all the kimsufis you have? I only have 1 so...
Yes the old Standard plan consists of 100Mbps per customer split between your Kimsufi's (though that limit will grow with the number of servers you have, however the average between them all will still be fairly low). If you only have one Kimsufi then you will get unmetered 100Mbps, guaranteed.

gigabit
07-10-2009, 20:10
I dont want to register on the quiet kimsufi forum so I hope someone here has a good memory... I have an old kimsufi and i originaly bought it on the traffic plan (4TB) and i was going to change the type of bandwidth, and in the manager i have two options "Standard" and "Burstable". It's obvious what the later is, but is "Standard" the old infrastructure thingy for Kimsufis? 100Mb/customer split between all the kimsufis you have? I only have 1 so...

Andy
03-10-2009, 11:09
Recently purchased servers where only traffic plan is available, it is either 100Mbps or 1Gbps if you have the 1Gbps switchport. Only the older plans where you could select Standard, Burstable or Traffic are 200Mbps (if you have a 1Gbps NIC port).

DedicatedPros
03-10-2009, 08:16
Quote Originally Posted by layman
Read the post again, it says NEW MG MAX server plan
He wasn't denying you have an MG Max...

layman
03-10-2009, 07:23
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
It depends when your purchased your server. New servers (where stated) are 1Gbps.
Read the post again, it says NEW MG MAX server plan

freshwire
03-10-2009, 05:23
It depends when your purchased your server. New servers (where stated) are 1Gbps.

layman
03-10-2009, 03:52
Quote Originally Posted by layman
So the current MG Max plan, which includes the 1Gbps NIC and 1Gbps switch port, would mean the following:
OVH->OVH = 1Gbps free
Internet->OVH = 1Gbps free
OVH->Internet = 1Gbps BW Limited (MG=15TB)

Am I correct?
People I've talked to seem to say that OVH->Internet is not 1Gbps, and that it is in fact 100Mbps, or 200Mbps. I would like a staff member to confirm which speed the new MG MAX server plan actually gets for OVH to Internet.

Andy
30-09-2009, 21:01
Correct.

layman
30-09-2009, 20:54
So the current MG Max plan, which includes the 1Gbps NIC and 1Gbps switch port, would mean the following:
OVH->OVH = 1Gbps free
Internet->OVH = 1Gbps free
OVH->Internet = 1Gbps BW Limited (MG=15TB)

Am I correct?

Andy
09-09-2009, 15:53
Thanks Marks, I will change the regime later to reflect this.

marks
09-09-2009, 15:48
With the limitation on the switch, all the bandwidth are running at the switch speed.

This way, if your server run connected to a switchport at 100Mbps, "OVH to OVH" and "Internet to OVH" will run at 100Mbps too.

The traffic on those bandwidth doesn't count for your monthly allowance though.

Thanks Bago for letting me know about your question posted here.

With the old bandwidth regime used to work as Angy says, but not anymore

Andy
09-09-2009, 11:33
If you have a 1Gbps NIC when you purchase the server (as stated in the specs) then you should be able to do 1Gbps download from the Internet and 1Gbps between other OVH servers, but upload is 100Mbps.

If you purchase the 1Gbps switchport option, then you get the same as above but the upload to the Internet becomes 1Gbps.

If the server doesn't have a 1Gbps NIC, you can't have anything on 1Gbps, even if you puchase the 1Gbps switchport, since its not available for 100Mbps NIC servers.

bago
09-09-2009, 11:31
I don't know if OVH > OVH also includes other DC's that OVH own. You will have to contact support.
I did (italian support), let's see if they will ever reply.

You have to pay 'per server' if it doesn't already have a 1Gbps NIC.
Mmm. not clear. If I understand correctly NIC is not an option in any plan, only the switchport is an option. So in server having Fast I can't pay for more, in servers having Gbit I already have gbit and I can do gbit to other dedicated without tuning and without gbswitch options: correct?

Andy
09-09-2009, 11:25
Quote Originally Posted by bago
Is "Outgoing" OVH->Internet or also OVH->OVH in output?

I guess "OVH -> Internet". Is this confirmed by OVH? Is this true also for bandwith between dedicated in 2 different datacenters? (I cannot choose the datacenter, unfortunately) I tried asking to OVH italia support team but I didn't get an answer.

I need 1gbit cluster but I'm fine with 100mbit internet: do I have to pay 25£ monthly (15 tuning, 10 gbswitch) per server or is it "included" ?

I just asked this question in the dedicated forum, then I found this and it seems more appropriate.
Outgoing is classed as OVH > Internet.

I don't know if OVH > OVH also includes other DC's that OVH own. You will have to contact support.

You have to pay 'per server' if it doesn't already have a 1Gbps NIC. You pay for the 1Gbps Internet, not 1Gbps down/internal.

bago
09-09-2009, 11:22
If your NIC is 1Gbps, then all bandwidth is always 1Gbps, except outgoing traffic which is 100Mbps without the 1Gbps switchport addon, and can become restricted to 10Mbps under the traffic series plan if you go over your allowance.
Is "Outgoing" OVH->Internet or also OVH->OVH in output?

I guess "OVH -> Internet". Is this confirmed by OVH? Is this true also for bandwith between dedicated in 2 different datacenters? (I cannot choose the datacenter, unfortunately) I tried asking to OVH italia support team but I didn't get an answer.

I need 1gbit cluster but I'm fine with 100mbit internet: do I have to pay 25£ monthly (15 tuning, 10 gbswitch) per server or is it "included" ?

I just asked this question in the dedicated forum, then I found this and it seems more appropriate.

Andy
06-09-2009, 11:59
Premium series must mean unmetered then. Traffic series would mean traffic series.

antdgar
06-09-2009, 11:56
It says the same thing. 'You are on Premium Series package'.

freshwire
06-09-2009, 04:19
Mine shows as standard

Andy
05-09-2009, 23:13
Mine shows as Premium and I am not on the business option (it no longer exists by the way). My bandwidth is also un-metered since I am on an older series server.

If you click "change type of bandwidth for free" option it should ask you which one you want, and tell you which you're currently on.

gigabit
05-09-2009, 20:46
This isnt a problem, more a manager bug. Its the same for me, but by "Premium" they mean unmettered and unmettered is the business option - i think. It shows the same for my servers.

antdgar
05-09-2009, 20:33
Ok, so that means I have to wait until Monday

Andy
05-09-2009, 20:20
Your best bet would be to contact support and ask.

antdgar
05-09-2009, 20:19
Hey, I wanted the unmetered series (i clicked the unmetered series link on the front page)

but it says my 'bandwidth management' is 'premium' what is that? And did I get the unmetered plan which I wanted :-s

Andy
05-09-2009, 11:08
Quote Originally Posted by NickW
But you say:

"If your NIC is 1Gbps, then all bandwidth is always 1Gbps"

Which is not the case with Kimsufi unless you purchase the 1Gbps switchport. The NIC is still 1Gbps.
You're right, I overlooked that one. Incoming and ovh>ovh is always 1Gbps but outgoing is restricted to 100Mbps unless you have the 1Gbps port option. I believe thats how it works? If so, its fixed.

Andy
05-09-2009, 11:04
Quote Originally Posted by gueriLLaPunkMoB
So is transit peering uncapped now on the PRO series?
No. You have guaranteed bandwidth over transit and peering if you are within your bandwidth limit. Then it goes to "best effort". The un-metered series is always "best effort".

elvis1
05-09-2009, 05:39
Quote Originally Posted by gigabit
Oh boy... what do you mean by "uncapped"?
that you wont get downgraded connection even if you transfer 24/7

elvis1
05-09-2009, 05:38
REALLY helpful as usual dude!

NickW
05-09-2009, 01:50
Well that's not part of the scheme, since its mentioned clearly on the Kimsufi website.
But you say:

"If your NIC is 1Gbps, then all bandwidth is always 1Gbps"

Which is not the case with Kimsufi unless you purchase the 1Gbps switchport. The NIC is still 1Gbps.

gigabit
05-09-2009, 01:28
Oh boy... what do you mean by "uncapped"?

gueriLLaPunkMoB
05-09-2009, 00:36
So is transit peering uncapped now on the PRO series?

hyster
04-09-2009, 19:57
I like them but the initial bandwidth could have been higher on the PRO servers. I'd expect no less than 15TB on all PRO servers really.
The 5tb limit on SP storage is a good example of things lowering, if you had one a couple of months back, I have, you get 10tb per month which is more than enough for me by the way, now you only get 5tb.

My only wish is for the ability to have a gbit port on the box keeping the same limits.

I do like the fact we get dedicated speed to your allowance.

Andy
04-09-2009, 19:28
I like them but the initial bandwidth could have been higher on the PRO servers. I'd expect no less than 15TB on all PRO servers really.

gigabit
04-09-2009, 18:27
What do people think about the new plans? Persoanlly I like them... The given amounts are enough for me just now and having full Gigabit is pretty nice.

*Mikee*
04-09-2009, 18:06
Nice post Andy !!

Andy
04-09-2009, 17:25
Well that's not part of the scheme, since its mentioned clearly on the Kimsufi website.

NickW
04-09-2009, 17:24
You should probably mention that on the Kimsufis you have to pay extra per month for the 1Gbps switchport to make your OVH -> internet speed 1Gbps.

hyster
04-09-2009, 16:58
This is a very clear and easy to understand description. Thanks

Halide
04-09-2009, 16:29
Thanks for outlining and detailing it all

Andy
04-09-2009, 16:16
Purchases After August 2009

OVH's new bandwidth regime as of August 2009 explained

The new regime is very easy to understand, so you shouldn’t have any problems.

Definitions:
Transit: Links which OVH pay for the bandwidth to pass over and billed on how much they use.
Peering: Links which OVH have a contract in to allow bandwidth to pass freely between both OVH and the provider, with no extra costs on bandwidth passing through it.
Peak Times: Defined as 11am that day until 1am the following morning every day.
Non-guaranteed: Bandwidth will not be prioritised and will be transmitted on a “best effort” basis.

PRO Servers (Those purchased from an ovh.xxx domain)

PRO Servers now come with two types of bandwidth:
-Traffic series at 100Mbps or 1Gbps
-Un-metered at 100Mbps
Traffic limits apply to outgoing traffic only.

Traffic Series –
-Traffic is guaranteed while within your allocated bandwidth.
-You receive a default amount of bandwidth per month with each server.
-Once exhausted your outgoing speed will drop to a maximum of 10Mbps and will become non-guaranteed.
-To restore your servers outgoing speed to its original speed of 100Mbps or 1Gbps, you need to purchase more bandwidth.

Un-metered
-Traffic is not guaranteed, and is provided on a “best effort” basis.
-Generally traffic throughout Europe is guaranteed if provided via peering links.
-Traffic to other countries provided via transit links is limited at peak times.

If your NIC is 100Mbps, then all bandwidth is always 100Mbps except outgoing traffic which can become restricted to 10Mbps under the traffic series plan if you go over your allowance.

If your NIC is 1Gbps, then all bandwidth is always 1Gbps, except outgoing traffic which is 100Mbps without the 1Gbps switchport addon, and can become restricted to 10Mbps under the traffic series plan if you go over your allowance.

There is now NO INFRASTRUCTURE. Each server has its own bandwidth and does not affect any other server you own.

Kimsufi Servers (Those purchased from a kimsufi.xxx domain)

Kimsufi Servers only come with one type of bandwidth:
-Traffic series
Traffic limits apply to outgoing traffic only.

Traffic Series –
-Traffic is guaranteed while within your allocated bandwidth.
-You receive a default amount of bandwidth per month with each server.
-Once exhausted your outgoing speed will drop to a maximum of 10Mbps and will become non-guaranteed.
-To restore your servers outgoing speed to its original speed of 100Mbps or 1Gbps, you need to purchase more bandwidth.

If your NIC is 100Mbps, then all bandwidth is always 100Mbps, except outgoing traffic which can become restricted to 10Mbps under the traffic series plan if you go over your allowance.

There is now NO INFRASTRUCTURE. Each server has its own bandwidth and does not affect any other server you own.