OVH Community, your new community space.

Big problem...

Neil
08-09-2009, 16:49
If its an SP Server or a Kimsufi without the 1Gb/s then they are limited to 100Mbps on all connections, as they are limited on the switch to this.

impstimp
08-09-2009, 12:30
Would be a hell of a lot quicker if server to server was more than 100mbps... Why is it capped at this for internal transfers?

Myatu
08-09-2009, 12:22
The server ate bad bread, I'm sure

Glad it is resolved though!

impstimp
08-09-2009, 10:29
I won't give out the server address here, but yes, we ran all the tests in Rescue Mode. We have gone over it all again this morning and whatever the problem was seems to have gone now, so we've reinstalled the OS etc and setting everytihng back up.

Very strange indeed, first it came from nowhere and now its just disappeared...

Neil
08-09-2009, 10:05
What is the server address? Did you run a hardware test in Rescue Mode?

impstimp
08-09-2009, 07:59
To be honest I think the server is f'd... I have written to support telling them this, no word back yet, losing money, losing users and have a duff server. The site is running but the main functionality is down.

I tried re-installing the OS and cpanel, but installing cpanel takes like 4hrs... Server seems dead slow

gigabit
07-09-2009, 23:15
If only the manager would be that clever...

freshwire
07-09-2009, 22:12
Do you have a seperate home partition?

Install a new OS using vKVM on the / and this will leave your files intact

impstimp
07-09-2009, 20:17
Thanks for the detailed reply. Unfortunately none of it worked though as I couldnt even get into SSH from vKVM due to the login timing out during boot up becaue of filecheck, ive got a backup with only a 15min data loss, so I will have to reinstall I think and copy the data back. The data copying across is the hardest part, coz it's like 300GB

Thanks again for your assistance

Myatu
07-09-2009, 17:25
Firewalled yourself? SSH died?

Access your OVH manager and the same way you've changed it to rescue mode, use the "vKVM" option and restart the server. Within a few minutes you will receive an URL and username/password combination to access your server.

Once you access the URL, a JAVA Applet will start and you may receive a warning about the SSL certificate (select "Yes").

At the top of the page, you will see two buttons - "Start Server" and "Reboot vKVM". In between those two buttons you have several options, of which you select "On hard disk". If you installed a 64-bit operating system, make sure you also mark the "64bits" checkbox next to "On hard disk". Now click "Start the server" button.

Your server will start and you can see everything that would normally be displayed on an attached monitor. Pay attention to any error messages you may see here. If everything went well, you will eventually be prompted for a username. This is whatever username/password you normally use over SSH (not the ones given in the e-mail about the vKVM).

Now that you have logged in, run the command "netstat -tpln | grep ssh" and check if SSH actually shows up and is listening on 0.0.0.0. Ie:

Code:
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:22              0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      8974/sshd
If it is, double check the port - perhaps it got changed by accident? If it is listening, make sure you don't have anything blocking access to it from the outside (firewalls - use the command "iptables -S" to verify).

If it is not, then the SSH daemon has not started for some reason (perhaps uninstalled by accident?). Try starting SSH manually (ie., on Debian/Ubuntu this is "/etc/init.d/ssh start") and double check with "netstat -tpln | grep ssh" again.

If manually starting SSH worked and it remains up and running for a minute or 2, then perhaps it has been removed from your RC startup list. On Debian/Ubuntu you could re-add it with "update-rc.d ssh defaults". If it says that "ssh" is already in the list then the problem might be a startup conflict - let me know if you get this issue...

But if it will not start manually, make sure it wasn't un-installed by some strange voodoo magic (even if you assume it wasn't compromised). So double check that. Also make sure to check your system logs ("/var/log/syslog" and "/var/log/auth.log").

Hope this will help you on your way to solve it!

DedicatedPros
07-09-2009, 16:57
Could it be a firewall issue?

impstimp
07-09-2009, 16:29
I've got a big problem with one of my servers, I can't seem to access SSH / web or anything. The server is pinging, I have restarted in rescue mode and mounted the drives, I can see all the files and access them all fine. Everything on the server seems fine, I have check dmesg, messages and secure, noone has logged in and changed anything, everything seems fine with the server....

I just don't know what to do now as I have no idea how this has happened and what I can do to fix it

Suggestions?