OVH Community, your new community space.

Interventions

elvis1
11-09-2009, 21:10
I know you guys have only good intentions with customers, but: why not ask before acting? changing the default port of ssh is a smart move and the eng got sloppy in it ( as he does not know the selected port by customer.. he would have if he would have had the proper data). As usual, I am not intending to do any harm, just suggest to help what I believe is a very strong company offering nice stuff that could be even better if customers voice was heard

marks
10-09-2009, 15:22
Fair enough.

But the engineers put it in rescue mode after checking all the ports, not just the default. So there was a problem earlier on this morning, and it would be better if you can check more information about what exactly crashed (through the logs). There might be something unstable on the system.

m0z
10-09-2009, 14:51
I dont use the default port of 22 for SSH but surely that cant be the problem as any other server I've had with yourself or any other hosting company hasnt been an issue before. I also have a firewall set up blocking all inbound ports apart from the ones I've allowed and my SSH port is in this allowed list.

BTW my server is up and running fine and has been since this morning when I booted it back in HD mode again

marks
10-09-2009, 14:48
Basically, our monitoring system detected the server down earlier on this morning, and as usual, an intervention was planned automatically.

When the engineer went to check it, and restarted the server, found that the server started (ping answered) but the SSH service wasn't opened. So after restarting again and finding the same result, the server was put in Rescue Mode for your to check.

Actually, I can see that you've tried again to boot up from the hard drive again and you've got the same issue: no SSH port open.

Basically, you can see this behaviour if you check the log for the server, and find out more about what's the problem with the services. Mainly, I would check why the SSH services is not coming up, which is the essential service.

m0z
10-09-2009, 12:44
Ok this is the 2nd time this has happened in the fortnight I've had my EG BestOF 09 server.

I woke up this morning to see my server was down and 5 emails from OVH.

Our system of monitoring has just detected a defect on
your server ns29200.ovh.net.
Seems during the early hours a fault was reported on my server and the technicians put my server into Rescue Mode and when finished left it in that state

Why does this keep happening and why did the technicians leave my server in Rescue Mode? The tickets left which I have read over makes no sense and I'm none the wiser as to what the problem actually was as I dont want to put up with this happening all the time.

Edit.

Ok I see my server again wasn't pinging

PING ns29200.ovh.net (91.121.xxx.xx) from 213.186.33.13 :
56(84) bytes of data.
From 213.186.33.13: Destination Host Unreachable

If this is the same problem as last time with someone attacking the ip address can I at least get a bloody ip address that someone isnt attacking.