OVH Community, your new community space.

Basic Firewall Script for Linux Server

frostystart
07-05-2008, 22:55
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
Hi,
If you are looking for a good firewall and an easy way to use it you could use iptables with Webmin and just remove all the modules you don't need.
Otherwise iptables can be configured from the command line but that's a tutorial in itself, what exactly is it you need to run on the box services wise?
If you need a hand I'm about on msn iain@iain-k.com
Hi All sorted. Cant thank Iain enough, I installed Webmin and then created a limited user, he then set up a basic firewall just what I needed, and then all is well. This guy needs to be employed by ovh as head of support.

Thanks again (and its worth the wait for your server)

Colin
www.ukinternetradio.net
ps dont try and install Virtuozzo on the basic server there isnt enough memory

frostystart
07-05-2008, 16:35
Quote Originally Posted by Allot
You may find the following manual useful:

http://help.ovh.net/Firewall

Allot
It Aint Easy is it??
So many warnings

Allot
07-05-2008, 15:35
Quote Originally Posted by frostystart
Hi All I want to run is shoutcast servers, have access by Winscp and Putty. I need ports 9000-9050 open and required ports for Winscp and putty to run.

Thanks Colin
www.ukinternetradio.net

You may find the following manual useful:

http://help.ovh.net/Firewall

Allot

frostystart
07-05-2008, 14:18
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
Hi,
If you are looking for a good firewall and an easy way to use it you could use iptables with Webmin and just remove all the modules you don't need.
Otherwise iptables can be configured from the command line but that's a tutorial in itself, what exactly is it you need to run on the box services wise?
Hi All I want to run is shoutcast servers, have access by Winscp and Putty. I need ports 9000-9050 open and required ports for Winscp and putty to run.

Thanks Colin
www.ukinternetradio.net

lafkon
07-05-2008, 13:58
Bastille Linux ( http://bastille-linux.sourceforge.net/ ) is a program that you can use to "harden" your box.

IIRC, it simplifies both configuring IPTables (The defacto linux firewall), aswell as giving you the option to implement various security-related tweaks.

You can download it, or install it from your package manager.

--
lafkon

IainK
07-05-2008, 08:41
Hi,

frostystart
07-05-2008, 07:58
Hi
Have just got my basic server installed after 8 days I know how to putty and Winscp and have got a Shoutcast server configured already but how do I install a basic firewall, just one so I can edit the port settings?

I am begining to relise there are different "unmanaged server" levels for Linux.
I started with an unmanaged with Intrahosts they provided 2 free Virtuozzo panels for admin and a great ticketed support, I got another with 1and1 and there server came with a Virtuozzo, with BAD Support.

And now I have this one which seems like a "bare bones" server with no firewall and No control panel unless you included the cpanel which you have to pay extra for?

So just to stop my server being hacked to death is there a basic firewall I can add using copy/paste into putty?

Thanks FS
www.ukinternetradio.net