OVH Community, your new community space.

Peeved: Cant downgrade WTF!

marks
11-09-2009, 13:13
Related question for OVH: I bought a kimsufi Q-1T with additional 1Gbps switchport, for a total of 48€ server+ 30€ for the addon + 60€ setup.
Now I realize I don't need the 1Gbps switchport, so next month I'd like to dump it but keep the server. Is it possible? I really hope so, after paying 60€ setup I'd be *really* pissed if this wasn't possible.
When did you buy the server?

If you are not happy with the server and you're still within the guaranteed days, we can cancel it and you can use the money to purchase the other one.

If you've been using your server for a while already, then no cancellation is possible.

When it comes to the renewal, same story: we cannot remove the parts that were order initially, I'm afraid.

Get back to the support with the information with your server name and I'll be able to tell you more about it.

slacker
11-09-2009, 12:18
Marks, can you please answer my question too?
And since 7 days haven't passed yet, could I possibly remove the switchport even now?
Thanks

dansgalaxy
11-09-2009, 12:17
Understanding what you said, and understanding the logic of what was said is two different things.

Its the latter I am having trouble with.

This is not standard practice and is unfair to consumers, as always the big companies, they get somethings perfect, the rest is sub par.

marks
11-09-2009, 11:49
I'm afraid that this has been like this for a very long time at OVH.

And if i wanted to downgrade i should have done it within the first 7 days… and I agreed to it… sorry… what?!
this is basic consumer protection, no about downgrading conditions.

Yes, the downgrade of RPS space is not possible. It may cause some turnover too, but it's definitely not its main cause.

It's weird because when I explained it to you on the phone it sounded as you understood perfectly. Actually, my colleague explained it to you in your previous call, and so I did. By the second call asking for the same information, you should have it quite well understood.

You can perfectly complain about contract conditions you don't like on our servers (in which case, you'll always have the last word and choose not to buy from us), but there is not need to divert the discussion into manners: as far as I know, you were attended properly and all your questions were answered and explained. And twice.

dansgalaxy
11-09-2009, 11:23
Why wouldnt they let you do that when they could make you ditch the lot order a new server and have to set everything up again... ¬.¬

Grr @ ovh. Really not happy about this, feel like I'm being ripped off.

slacker
11-09-2009, 11:19
Related question for OVH: I bought a kimsufi Q-1T with additional 1Gbps switchport, for a total of 48€ server+ 30€ for the addon + 60€ setup.
Now I realize I don't need the 1Gbps switchport, so next month I'd like to dump it but keep the server. Is it possible? I really hope so, after paying 60€ setup I'd be *really* pissed if this wasn't possible.
Thanks

dansgalaxy
11-09-2009, 11:02
Quote Originally Posted by unclebob
OVH: Not being able to downgrade is causing greater 'turnover' of servers. If you really want to reduce it, allow people to remove IPs, USB drives and additional iSCSI space!
This is TOTALLY illogical and stupid.

THE ONLY benefit of this is so they can say "we setup xxxxxxxxxxxxx servers this year..." half of those are because they have to cancel their current one and make a new one because they wont let them downgrade!!!!

There is NO sense at all in this :@

If anything it makes more work for them, instead of simply changing diskspace or removing IP's they have to process a whole new order! WHY?!?!

unclebob
11-09-2009, 10:58
OVH: Not being able to downgrade is causing greater 'turnover' of servers. If you really want to reduce it, allow people to remove IPs, USB drives and additional iSCSI space!

dansgalaxy
11-09-2009, 10:35
I run a small web hosting company, and work with multiple data centres and software suppliers etc to deliver my products, one of which is OVH.

Been using a server with them for almost 4/5 months now and, while the server seems fine the technical support is terrible.

A month or so ago i added an extra 10GB network storage to the RPS which now found I don’t need, so hey why not save a few quid a month and ditch it right? … No…

I called them up to ask about getting it removed before i renewed the service and paid the last invoice, something I consider to be reasonable, expected a few minutes on the phone and it to be done, however apparently they can’t do downgrades…

And if i wanted to downgrade i should have done it within the first 7 days… and I agreed to it… sorry… what?!

For me to get an RPS server without the unneeded extra disk space I will have to order a NEW RPS and migrate everything over to the new one, now while I can move 1 of the 2 IPs on my current RPS over I would be unable to move the main one… the one I and my customers use for everything.

Now it is my understanding that the process of changing disk space allowance is simple, if i request a upgrade the system puts it through a tech sits there types in the commands to the network storage node and allows me more disk space. So logic dictates that the exact same system should work in reverse, they remove 10GB – end of.

I have now been forced to renew the service, and pay the extra few quid for unneeded, unwanted additional diskspace so as not to have to 1, loose an IP which is in use on multiple websites by many clients. 2, take a server which has been stable and online with NO issues for over 2 months offline disrupting many streams which support radio stations from bedroom operations to large commercial stations, dependant on them.

Not only did I find the outcome dis-satisfactory but also the technical support person on the phone was also, rude and unhelpful add on top of that he sounded like he was half asleep and mumbling does not equal good customer satisfaction.

When the person first answered, and I explained the issue, he mumbled about me emailing instead, to which I tend to think – Hell no, I’m paying for a service and you have phone support to get off your lazy arse and do it instead of trying to pass it off and delay me getting the information i need for another 12 hours – after I replied with “sorry? what.” he mumbles nevermind and spouts the spiel about how if i want a refund – which i don’t – it has to be done within 7 days of purchase. It appears OVH have no understanding that when your purchase addons etc you purchase them as a monthly product, as you do their servers, you pay for them on a monthly basis, and not as a buy and get locked in product, each item i pay for is monthly, and i should have the freedom to discontinue these monthly addons at will – WITHOUT having to completely reorder my server.

In my mind this is totally unacceptable. I do not know of any other supplier even 1/100th the size of OVH which would treat customers in this way.

Am I alone in this view?

... I blogged the rant btw - http://dansgalaxy.co.uk/2009/09/10/o...and-worthless/