OVH Community, your new community space.

clone vpn into a rps

Myatu
11-09-2009, 21:20
I share what I know, that's all

elvis1
11-09-2009, 21:16
Myatu, your posts are extra interesting!!!
Will check your old posts when I have some time .,, I really enjoy reading em

elvis1
11-09-2009, 21:02
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
I've used VirtualBox but that was before it was acquired by SUN, so a few years ago... From their docs, it does not appear that VT is a requirement though it does support it, so you may have a winner with this one

As for the memory, it could work. Just remember that you won't get 100% of the 1GB on the system though and I don't know the memory requirements for VirtualBox (and if it will run headless -- without a GUI -- with ease, especially from a management standpoint). Windows might tend to swap more as well, and given that you'd be using iSCSI and a virtual disk on top of that, I'm wondering if it'll be practical. Won't hurt trying though!
I like the way you think dude :toast: . I would love to be able to join the power of 2 rps acting as one

Myatu
11-09-2009, 18:44
I've used VirtualBox but that was before it was acquired by SUN, so a few years ago... From their docs, it does not appear that VT is a requirement though it does support it, so you may have a winner with this one

As for the memory, it could work. Just remember that you won't get 100% of the 1GB on the system though and I don't know the memory requirements for VirtualBox (and if it will run headless -- without a GUI -- with ease, especially from a management standpoint). Windows might tend to swap more as well, and given that you'd be using iSCSI and a virtual disk on top of that, I'm wondering if it'll be practical. Won't hurt trying though!

elvis1
11-09-2009, 15:45
maybe this can help me :

Reasonably powerful x86 hardware. Any recent Intel or AMD processor should do.
http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/End-user_documentation

elvis1
11-09-2009, 15:45
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
OpenVPN or OpenVZ? If it's the first, simply install OpenVPN on the other server. But I'm assuming you already knew that, so my guess is you actually meant OpenVZ

In that case, there's a command line utility called "vzdump". Running it as "vzdump --help" will give you all options, but basically you run it as "vzdump --compress " where is the ID of your OpenVZ container. It'll create a complete copy of your OpenVZ container which you can restore using the same tool, this time with "vzdump --restore FILENAME".

Now, the only problem lies here: you said "in a us VPS". Since this tool only works outside of the VPS (on the host node), you need to either have a) access to this host node, b) ask the VPS provider if they can make the dump for you or c) resort to an alternative.

The alternative is various, from installing a bare OS based on the same distribution and version then rsyncing your things over from the original, to what have you not. Perhaps someone can give you some good tips on that...

AFAIK only the Atom Z53+ ("Silverthorne") series supports VT, and again AFAIK the Atoms in RPS 1 and 2 are not of the Z5 series. *BUT* that's something you need to confirm with OVH's team because I can be wrong on this (I should have clarified this when answering your similar question about Atom and VT elsewhere). Or to check for yourself, use the command "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep flags".

If they do not have VT support then you wouldn't be able to use QEMU/KVM, Proxmox or XEN to run Windows (and OpenVZ does not support this at all, due to the virtualisation technology utilised).
does this also apply to virtualbox?

elvis1
11-09-2009, 15:40
the vps I am in currently has openvz as virtualization and has a open vpn server ..
your knowledge is stunning :O

in case proxmox works ( I fear it doesnt from what you said)
your proxmox guide inspired me to part out an rps II ( if the god damn cpu has the needed technologie) and make a 128 meg of ram node for vpn, and part the remaining :

winxp : 640 and 256 for centos .. would that be ok?

edit: seems like nano apart from being faster than intels lousy approach, has VT-x which might do the trick

Myatu
11-09-2009, 14:54
OpenVPN or OpenVZ? If it's the first, simply install OpenVPN on the other server. But I'm assuming you already knew that, so my guess is you actually meant OpenVZ

In that case, there's a command line utility called "vzdump". Running it as "vzdump --help" will give you all options, but basically you run it as "vzdump --compress " where is the ID of your OpenVZ container. It'll create a complete copy of your OpenVZ container which you can restore using the same tool, this time with "vzdump --restore FILENAME".

Now, the only problem lies here: you said "in a us VPS". Since this tool only works outside of the VPS (on the host node), you need to either have a) access to this host node, b) ask the VPS provider if they can make the dump for you or c) resort to an alternative.

The alternative is various, from installing a bare OS based on the same distribution and version then rsyncing your things over from the original, to what have you not. Perhaps someone can give you some good tips on that...

AFAIK only the Atom Z53+ ("Silverthorne") series supports VT, and again AFAIK the Atoms in RPS 1 and 2 are not of the Z5 series. *BUT* that's something you need to confirm with OVH's team because I can be wrong on this (I should have clarified this when answering your similar question about Atom and VT elsewhere). Or to check for yourself, use the command "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep flags".

If they do not have VT support then you wouldn't be able to use QEMU/KVM, Proxmox or XEN to run Windows (and OpenVZ does not support this at all, due to the virtualisation technology utilised).

elvis1
11-09-2009, 14:03
guys! I have an open vpn based vpn under centos in a us vps. I would like to have it cloned to rps. How should i do it? Of course ip would be different. I would also like to have the rps (RPSII) have other OSes: centos in a differente VE and windows in another.

Vpn consumes less than 100 megs of ram.

Thanks