OVH Community, your new community space.

Real world performance between EG, MG and HG for virtualisation

freshwire
27-09-2009, 09:40
There are lots of sneaky people about I will have to double my defenses! This means that I will no longer be able to use the emoticon because people will think I have no idea what's going on and take advantage of me SEXUALLY

I will have to be more sneaky myself...

* buys x-ray vision glasses *

DedicatedPros
27-09-2009, 07:43
Make a new nichandle and pretend you never saw OVH before?

Sneaky.

Btw does anyone know if OVH Poland will introduce this business trial? It would help me a ton not to have to pay the first month's fee

gigabit
27-09-2009, 01:56
"not an Ovh customer yet and with no service with us. "

zimsters
27-09-2009, 01:12
Quote Originally Posted by derchris
That "try for you business" would not work, as you already have 2 servers with OVH.
It is only for new customers.

if i'm not mistaken the 2 are personal servers, whereas try for your business could be one for his registered company?

derchris
26-09-2009, 17:35
That "try for you business" would not work, as you already have 2 servers with OVH.
It is only for new customers.

yatesco
25-09-2009, 09:06
Hi Myatu,

First - thanks for the reply. You, and a couple of others seems to be a really valuable resource on here, so on behalf of the newbie muppets who have a little, but not enough knowledge like me - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
For the EG and MG series, it's about the costs of the servers themselves.

Just like it would be more expensive to produce two small cars with an equal (or better) performance of a single large car -- after all, you need twice as many parts such as tyres, seats, windshields, engines, etc. --, so would it be to produce two servers vs. one. That is, one server doesn't need two motherboards, 4 PSUs, etc., nor does it take up as much space in the server racks. Those savings are passed on to you.
Your point is well made. I am just trying to clarify that my comparison is a valid one. So two EG boxes would be more powerful than a single MG? There is no other difference like faster hard disks or something that I am missing?

Now on that same note, the HG uses SAS @ 1 TB vs SATA2 @ 750GB, uses FBDIMMs vs standard DIMMS, has 2x1 Gbps switchports vs 1 Gbps switchport, 2x NICs vs 1 NIC plus a traffic allowance of 40 TB at *full speed*. Obviously you can expect a price difference between these two, even if it was for the included traffic allowance alone...
I see - yes, good point. The hardware itself is in a different class.

Does anybody have any real world experience on the performance? I am just for a "yeah, go buy one of these and one of these"

I was going to rent one of each for a month so I could kick the tyres, but by the time you add in RAID and external IPs - boy those setup costs really do mount up.... I have a kimsufi (nice little box!) and an EG and I have a HG on order via the "try for your business".

Myatu
25-09-2009, 02:17
For the EG and MG series, it's about the costs of the servers themselves.

Just like it would be more expensive to produce two small cars with an equal (or better) performance of a single large car -- after all, you need twice as many parts such as tyres, seats, windshields, engines, etc. --, so would it be to produce two servers vs. one. That is, one server doesn't need two motherboards, 4 PSUs, etc., nor does it take up as much space in the server racks. Those savings are passed on to you.

Now on that same note, the HG uses SAS @ 1 TB vs SATA2 @ 750GB, uses FBDIMMs vs standard DIMMS, has 2x1 Gbps switchports vs 1 Gbps switchport, 2x NICs vs 1 NIC plus a traffic allowance of 40 TB at *full speed*. Obviously you can expect a price difference between these two, even if it was for the included traffic allowance alone...

yatesco
25-09-2009, 00:57
Hi all,

I currently have a Dell PE2950 (2x4 core, 2TB/RAID1, 16GB RAM) with another company and am considering moving it here to a proxmox machine(s).

My existing box hosts about 15 pretty small virtual machines, most linux but 5 are windows (xp and 2008 servers). The performance is perfectly adequate - the CPU(s) are positively bored silly and it moved about 400GB bandwidth in the previous month. Not exactly a resource monster.

Anyway, I have been looking at the specs of the EG, MG and HG and I just don't get the point of the more expensive HG, or even the EG. For 69/month I can get an EG BestOf which gives a single Xeon 2.83 with 8GB RAM, 1GB switch port. For another 40/month I can get an MG which has (AFAICS) 2 Xeons, but at 2.00 and twice as much RAM. Ignoring the one-off costs, that comes out as 138/month for 8x2.83 or 109/month for 8x2.00. That 29/month for an extra .83MHz looks like a bargain!

I understand that the benefit of a single machine is consolidation of the resources, so yes you could have a VM with 6GB on an MG machine, but not on 2xEG machines.

This "discrepancy" goes even further between the MG and the HG - the cheapest HG-09 is 299 and the only difference between that and the MG BestOf (again AFAICS) is that each core is 2.33 instead of 2.00.

I just don't get what the £190 buys me (i.e. the difference between the HG-09 and the MG-09 BestOff). It is more than double!

I know numbers in specs is nowhere near the definitive answer, hence this post - can somebody more technical than I point out the difference, and make a sensible recommendation based upon what I have told you here. I have spoken to support and they have been really helpful, but nothing beats "in the trenches".

Many thanks,

Col