OVH Community, your new community space.

How do you upgrade your linux kernels?

yatesco
01-10-2009, 22:58
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
yatesco can I have your server address? Because running updates should not break the server and we use the official kernel on our Proxmox Distro.
Sure: ns208541.ovh.net

As Myatu states doing an apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade fails as it fails to update /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-7-pve which is newer than it expects.

Forcing it with
Code:
update-initramfs -tu /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-7-pve
works fine though (I explicitly set up grub - not sure if I needed to do this or not).

Myatu
01-10-2009, 20:26
Neil, it does break it for Proxmox. During the upgrade, a different ramdisk image is used, which does not include all the required drivers for some of the OVH servers (ie., md / softraid).

Neil
01-10-2009, 13:02
yatesco can I have your server address? Because running updates should not break the server and we use the official kernel on our Proxmox Distro.

yatesco
01-10-2009, 09:37
Hi Kitty,

First off, congrats on your first kernel recompile - I remember the utter joy of the machine rebooting successfully, and the utter horror when it doesn't

I actually don't want to compile my own - the whole point is that I want to use the standard proxmox kernels.

I tried installing grub and then the proxmox kernel but it failed. I think it was because I was using software raid and I didn't install grub on both drives. No I am using hardware raid I will try again.

Kitty
26-09-2009, 23:55
I built my own from scratch - http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2056

freshwire
25-09-2009, 20:41
Compiling your own makes more use of your CPU! CPU's love the attention! Go ahead and compile you own

yatesco
25-09-2009, 09:09
Is there any reason I can't just apt-get install the pve kernel and install grub/update the existing lilo?

You mention "compiling your own" which takes me back a good decade to when I first started using Linux

Myatu
25-09-2009, 02:29
Yeah, if you're using Proxmox like you mentioned in your other Q about EG/MG/HG, then be careful with the "apt-upgrade". It fails to create the bzImage [EDIT: initrd image, not bzImage] on the kernel update and you end up with a Kernel Panic. I had that happen about a month (?) ago... Bad bread flying all over the place...

But if you're not using Proxmox and don't mind a non-modular kernel, use the netboot option instead. OVH keeps these up to date for you, so no messing around with compiling, etc. But if you need it to be modular, then you're stuck with compiling your own...

freshwire
25-09-2009, 01:12
I think if you replace the kernel with a nice non OVH one its best. You don't always have to replace it with an OVH like one. But this could be very dangerous

However see: http://help.ovh.com/KernelInstall

yatesco
25-09-2009, 00:59
Hi,

As soon as I received my very reasonably priced EG machine proxmox machine I immediately did an apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade. And broke it. Turns out these boxes have an OVH specific kernel.

There documentation does indeed describe the motivation, and the workaround, but it sounds kinda painful.

How do you keep your linux distros up to date - what tips can you give me to avoid updating anything that will break the ovh distro (cause that is really what we are using ).

Thanks,

Col