OVH Community, your new community space.

installing vmware 2 woes - kernel issues?

zimsters
28-09-2009, 01:04
urgh! such a pain, i remember going through a similar ordeal with my last attempt. no clue how i managed to get one of my servers running it fine, but i'm slowly migrating to proxmox anyway.

Myatu
27-09-2009, 21:51
Quote Originally Posted by zimsters
- when asked for header files in vmware install i've set /usr/src/linux-2.6.31/include and that's ok
Apparently not

/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c: In function 'LinuxDriverSyncCallOnEachCPU':
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1423: error: too many arguments to function 'smp_call_function'
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c: In function 'LinuxDriver_Ioctl':
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1987: error: 'struct task_struct' has no member named 'euid'
"smp_call_function" is defined in the kernel headers. Apparently VMWare is expecting a different version than what you have used. Same goes for the "task_struct" structure, VMware is expecting to have certain fields defined, but are not in your kernel headers.

zimsters
27-09-2009, 18:56
yep, compiled with kernel support, and built the headers too.
did heaps of digging around, found some thread at vmware communities where people were patching the config.pl file. i tried it out, eventually threw in the towel and stuck with proxmox.

extremed
27-09-2009, 18:55
did you compile kernel with module support? and did you build kernel headers from source after reboot?

zimsters
27-09-2009, 12:55
hey guys,

gotten stuck with the vmware 2 installation on centos 5 64bit. Here's the error:

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /usr/src/linux-2.6.31/include

Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.

Building the vmmon module.

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only'
make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.31/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.31'
CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
In file included from /tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:31:
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/./include/compat_wait.h:78: error: conflicting types for 'poll_initwait'
include/linux/poll.h:70: error: previous declaration of 'poll_initwait' was here
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c: In function 'LinuxDriverSyncCallOnEachCPU':
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1423: error: too many arguments to function 'smp_call_function'
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c: In function 'LinuxDriver_Ioctl':
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1987: error: 'struct task_struct' has no member named 'euid'
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1987: error: 'struct task_struct' has no member named 'uid'
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1988: error: 'struct task_struct' has no member named 'fsuid'
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1988: error: 'struct task_struct' has no member named 'uid'
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1989: error: 'struct task_struct' has no member named 'egid'
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1989: error: 'struct task_struct' has no member named 'gid'
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1990: error: 'struct task_struct' has no member named 'fsgid'
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:1990: error: 'struct task_struct' has no member named 'gid'
/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.c:2007: error: too many arguments to function 'smp_call_function'
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.31'
make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config1/vmmon-only'
Unable to build the vmmon module.

For more information on how to troubleshoot module-related problems, please
visit our Web site at "http://www.vmware.com/go/unsup-linux-products" and
"http://www.vmware.com/go/unsup-linux-tools".

Execution aborted.

Basically what i've done:

- install centos 5 64 bit from ovh manager
- recompile kernel (2.6.31) without issue, update lilo, reboot successfully
- when asked for header files in vmware install i've set /usr/src/linux-2.6.31/include and that's ok

following this the error above appears.

any ideas?