OVH Community, your new community space.

DNS Question

crowarth
10-05-2008, 14:56
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
I wouldn't. I've seen the state of their control panel, its not nice. It looks like its been made by someone who doesn't quite know proper HTML yet.
i use it for ~7 domains. the control panel is a bit poop, but the functionality is there. the per domain controls is better though, a simple config page, with the various options.

http://weezel.co.uk/123reg/1.JPG
http://weezel.co.uk/123reg/2.JPG
http://weezel.co.uk/123reg/3.JPG
http://weezel.co.uk/123reg/4.JPG

apart from the rather poorly designed control panel, the service is actually rather good, and even when ive phoned them to enquire about domains before, the staff were helpful and honest.

IainK
10-05-2008, 03:04
Of course you could transfer your domain to OVH and it wouldn't cost much to renew anyway and it would be next to your server in the manager

I'm sure they would be willing to help once the backlog on the servers is cleared.

war10ck
09-05-2008, 21:42
Thanks everyone for your input and help.

Palad1n
09-05-2008, 18:34
I use UKREG.COM to register and control my domains, then these point to rollernet.us who does mailscanning/primary DNS requests, the mail is then forwarded to my dedi-box, which is also backup DNS. It allows me to control everything at the front, and change servers at the backend without major disruption to customers.

Andy
09-05-2008, 17:53
Quote Originally Posted by crowarth
123reg is one example i would consider.
I wouldn't. I've seen the state of their control panel, its not nice. It looks like its been made by someone who doesn't quite know proper HTML yet.

crowarth
09-05-2008, 17:40
123reg is one example i would consider.

IainK
09-05-2008, 16:27
You should definately request to transfer to another registrar right away. Any registrar that won't allow external nameservers is lacking basic functionality offered by all - setting A records with them is an un necessary effort even for a single domain.

If they refuse the move, make sure that you are the contact listed on the whois records and then contact NetworkSolutions if it is a .com/.net or Nominet if .uk.

Andy
09-05-2008, 16:07
Quote Originally Posted by war10ck
Here is the response I received when asking to change the NS servers:

>unfortunately we do not accept external nameservers with domain names >managed by Innter.Net.
>Therefore it is not possible to change the nameserver data in your application.

When I asked how to go about using a different provider to host my site I received this:

>an A record will work, if you create a host handler on your web host - also if >thewebhost is using shared ips.
>Please ask your webhosting providre to create a host handler for your domain >name on your webserver account.
>Than all will work fine.

I've never heard of a host handler and I have no idea if OVH will be able to do this... Now I am in a bad situation because the domain is already purchased and there was no way to know ahead of time I could not change the NS data.
I'm pretty sure that by law if you ask to move your domain away they have to oblige. If they don't you could try going to a higher authority (eg whoever handles the top level domain, eg its Nominet for .uk domains). They will be able to sort it out for you.

war10ck
09-05-2008, 15:43
Here is the response I received when asking to change the NS servers:

>unfortunately we do not accept external nameservers with domain names >managed by Innter.Net.
>Therefore it is not possible to change the nameserver data in your application.

When I asked how to go about using a different provider to host my site I received this:

>an A record will work, if you create a host handler on your web host - also if >thewebhost is using shared ips.
>Please ask your webhosting providre to create a host handler for your domain >name on your webserver account.
>Than all will work fine.

I've never heard of a host handler and I have no idea if OVH will be able to do this... Now I am in a bad situation because the domain is already purchased and there was no way to know ahead of time I could not change the NS data.

Andy
09-05-2008, 09:10
The company must allow you to change the name servers some how. They can't keep it fixed to their services. I don't think they have the right.

E-mail their support to find out if they will allow you to change it. If not ask if you can move your domain elsewhere. They must oblige to either of those since you own the domain.

war10ck
09-05-2008, 04:35
The company that I purchased my Domain name through does not allow me to change the NS record for the domain.

I recently purchased shared hosting with OVH and my question is:

Is there a way to point the domain to OVH using the A record in order to get my site online? How would this work in a shared hosting plan?