OVH Community, your new community space.

How to update SSD's firmware?

derchris
03-10-2009, 16:18
Why is there no RAID0, No RAID test with a 64bit Version ?

gigabit
03-10-2009, 15:52
Quote Originally Posted by Higgs
]

Verdict, RAID1 is working but raid0 isn't working properly, noraid isn't working properly too
as u can see at the pics.
poor results.
Which also ties up with being 64bit.

Higgs
03-10-2009, 12:49
Some serious issues going on there :/

Higgs
03-10-2009, 12:21
Quote Originally Posted by Marks
if you show the engineers the problem you have due to this old firmware version, there won't be any charge, it'll be for free. All the hardware is guaranteed for life.

But they'll have to look into the issue and agree on the solution.
My results:

SSD_Debian5.0_32bits_RAID0

SSD_Debian5.0_64bits_RAID1

SSD_Ubuntu_Desktop_32Bits_RAID0

SSD_Ubuntu_Server_32bits_NORAID

SSD_Ubuntu_Server_64bits_RAID1

Verdict, RAID1 is working but raid0 isn't working properly, noraid isn't working properly too
as u can see at the pics.
poor results.

Myatu
02-10-2009, 21:50
Quote Originally Posted by Higgs
"Intel released a firmware update for their X-25M and X-18M SSD drives on Monday, fixing a fragmentation issue first reported in February."
so how can i update my ssd firmware?
You forgot to quote another part of it: "Keep in mind that the risk of a typical PC user experiencing this issue is very low. "

Fragmentation is normal on any storage device (be it HD, RAM, SSD, etc). Intel just considered this to be a little more than acceptable for their QA norms (so should be considered an enhancement rather than a bug fix), but given the speeds of SSDs, you probably won't even notice it unless you some 100 GB uncached MySQL DB stored on it with a few 1000 users accessing it per minute or so...

As for firmwares in general, these are hardware related and so you can't change them yourself -- just like you can't swap change the NIC or HD for another.

Also keep in mind that the hardware is (and will remain) OVH's property, not yours. So if you were to do so something that could potentially damage the hardware (ie., perform a BIOS upgrade which happens to be for a different motherboard, rendering it useless), then you're likely to be held liable for that (although it'd be difficult to prove it was your fault).

I'm sure you can understand why OVH would prefer their techs to do this instead of the end user.

marks
02-10-2009, 18:18
they will charge me for the update?
if you show the engineers the problem you have due to this old firmware version, there won't be any charge, it'll be for free. All the hardware is guaranteed for life.

But they'll have to look into the issue and agree on the solution.

gigabit
02-10-2009, 16:53
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
It probably isn't possible. The instructions indicate you have to boot to a CD.. in that case it won't be possible.
So you could use the vKVM?

Higgs
02-10-2009, 16:46
another thing...
they will charge me for the update?

Higgs
02-10-2009, 16:45
thanks for all the support peeps

freshwire
02-10-2009, 16:00
You have to consider the number of servers they would have to update... And the servers are offline during the update..

Ring the support team and ask them. I can only provide suggestions on what YOU can do. OVH may be able to apply the update just for you right now.. but you won't know without ringing.. Or you can open a ticket.

The forum is for customers helping customers really.

marks
02-10-2009, 15:58
our engineers will take care of applying the patches needed on the hardware. Think that we won't use a patch unless it's been tested properly.

You can also open a ticket with the error/issue you've found related with the SSD disk and they'll get back to you.

Higgs
02-10-2009, 15:53
well that's just unfair and immoral
Pay in order to fix an internal bug.

freshwire
02-10-2009, 15:51
It's possible that the OVH team will prepare a system for mass updating the servers with intel disks. My comments above were answering your question literally... how YOU can update it.

Higgs
02-10-2009, 15:25
how come?
i gotta pay them to fix a bug?
that's a little bit odd and unfair
I bought in good faith this box precisely for the benefits of ssd and it would be a fair expectation to now have the issue fixed withe the official update and this issue is making my server perform at an exceptional poor standard and it should be fair to assume this could be rectified

all I'm asking is to update the firmware to prevent further errors

freshwire
02-10-2009, 15:11
It probably isn't possible. The instructions indicate you have to boot to a CD.. in that case it won't be possible.

The only way you could do it is using full kvm.. but that is a bit costly and still tricky.

Higgs
02-10-2009, 14:58
"Intel released a firmware update for their X-25M and X-18M SSD drives on Monday, fixing a fragmentation issue first reported in February."

http://technologyexpert.blogspot.com...o-fix-ssd.html

so how can i update my ssd firmware?