OVH Community, your new community space.

Kernel recompile

derchris
03-10-2009, 17:11
You don't need vKVM to install Debian/Ubuntu, thanks to debootstrap.
I installed Debian that way from the rescue System.
Will try to post a short guide later that day or tomorrow on how to do it.

freshwire
03-10-2009, 05:25
I cannot remember what I did for ubuntu on vKVM. But I had the same problems with debian.

Razakel
03-10-2009, 04:04
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
vKVM can be used to install some OS's but it's troublesome with some. Ubuntu 8.04 installed when I last tried it but debian 5 did not.

Compiling a kernel isn't too hard. Just use the .config file from your current server and you should be fine.
I tried and broke LILO.

Got the intervention email, stuck it in rescue mode, fixed it, rebooted. Forgot to change it back to hd in the manager. So now it's rebooted in rescue mode with a different password it hasn't emailed me and I'm locked out. >.<

makno
02-10-2009, 22:55
Razakel just follow this and you'll be fine:

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=933

i did it to install vmware server on ubuntu and worked but i used a newer kernel as on the guide it says linux-2.6.25 and i used 2.6.28.4 but the process is exactly the same.

For monkey would you mind explain me how you installed ubuntu through vkvm? i tried 6 times and failed all of them

freshwire
02-10-2009, 22:08
vKVM can be used to install some OS's but it's troublesome with some. Ubuntu 8.04 installed when I last tried it but debian 5 did not.

Compiling a kernel isn't too hard. Just use the .config file from your current server and you should be fine.

Razakel
02-10-2009, 20:58
Right, I'm on a Kimsufi C-05G and I want to stick VMWare on there (I know it's not really a virtualisation server, it's just I want to play around with it :P) which is requiring me to compile some kernel modules, which bombs out because of OVH's custom kernel voodoo.

So how do I go from here? I've heard a couple of horror stories about trying to compile a custom kernel on an OVH box, so would it be easier to just use netboot (or VNC) and install a fresh copy of CentOS?