OVH Community, your new community space.

routing ip failover to another server (not via ovh manager)

freshwire
26-10-2009, 17:34
There is some software called packet-proxy that would do what you want. But you would need 1 instance per tcp/udp port you wanted to forward.

http://www.cs.uit.no/~daniels/PacketProxy/index.html

There are other options too. This is just once that I use for the purpose (but only with a few ports).

bago
26-10-2009, 16:23
What you need is tunneling. That's because dedicated are not in the same subnet so you can't simply reroute them unless you touch OVH routers/switch configuration.

So, the easier way to make a tunnel is using http://vtun.info/ on linux.

Myatu
10-10-2009, 21:46
The one that's got the "iptables -t nat ..." command should have been setup for the failover IP. So that would be something like "eth0:0" with the IP and broadcast address. In Proxmox you wouldn't be able to route it based on the failover IP, I think (never tried it this way).

zimsters
10-10-2009, 12:55
no luck with the above command. no error on issuing it. on the 2nd box i've run the ip route command (its a proxmox box) to the vmbr0. then on the vps running i've given it this ip, no luck.

should the gateway set on the vps be that of the proxmox box, or the box that's assigned the ip that's got the iptables set?

Myatu
07-10-2009, 03:29
You can use this:

Code:
iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -d 91.2.2.2 -j DNAT --to 91.1.1.1
Where "91.2.2.2" is a failover IP on server #2 and "91.1.1.1" is server #1 on which you ran out.

Do keep in mind that this is as reliable as server #2...

zimsters
07-10-2009, 01:53
anybody?

derchris
03-10-2009, 17:15
You could try and play around with route and iptables.
But I don't have a working solution as such available at the moment.

zimsters
03-10-2009, 11:49
hey guys,

wondering if this is possible.

Situation: 2 servers. 1 is using all its ip failovers, the other has 2 available ips.

is it possible to register the 2 available ips on server 2, and route the traffic to server 1?

can't route using ovh manager as server 1 has no slots.

basically server 1 is one of the new servers, and its unrealistic to expect me to pay 15gbp/mo professional addon fees plus 50+GBP for ripe ips when i just need a single ip.

ovh: getting rid of the ip failover option, IMHO, was one of the sillier things you've done!