OVH Community, your new community space.

A small reflection

marks
08-10-2009, 18:07
we do translate the posts, just give us time to get to the office. When we get our hands on these posts, we translate them properly (not google-translate them) and what is said on it will be what it is (no more confusions for translations not really accurate).

You don't have to translate them anymore, guys. we'll make sure that we don't leave any post in French in the forum.

Tz-OVH
08-10-2009, 17:46
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Can't be bothered translating anymore. Oles, it's not hard to do this yourself by going to google translate, pasting it in and copying it back here... Oh, and ONCE is enough to post in the forum, not 3 times.
Or he could ask one of his many staff? I'm sure being a huge hosting company they can afford the services of a proper translator.

Myatu
08-10-2009, 00:13
OVH is running a bit behind on this actually... 2010 means we're already into the SaaS business for at least 12 years (which is when I wrote my first SaaS CRM system).

Anyway, if OVH wants to get into this (and I know this field well), first thing they need to do is have guaranteed turnaround of servers OR scalability. It's one reason why I'm not using OVH for this... Cloud services need the scalability at the flick of a switch. Like Amazon, Rackspace or UK2.net...

Myatu
08-10-2009, 00:08
[ Cut ]

Winit
07-10-2009, 23:46
Indeed Andy

Andy
07-10-2009, 23:23
Can't be bothered translating anymore. Oles, it's not hard to do this yourself by going to google translate, pasting it in and copying it back here... Oh, and ONCE is enough to post in the forum, not 3 times.

oles@ovh.net
07-10-2009, 22:58
Hello,

1 to 2 months ago, we launched several PoC's (Proof Of Concept) on several subjects. We launched our ideas and we have your feedback on various issues.

We were EXTREMELY surprised by what we read. We took the time to digest your feedback in order to translate them into different projects but also to try to find a strategy and OVH will
now try to apply this. It will be the main theme as 2010.

How do we explain our findings from your feedback?

It can be summarised in 2 sentences:

Yesterday it was shareware. Tomorrow we will have it all on the websites.

Hmm .. whats this? ... be a little more specific. It has been on your PC for 10 years, you ran a software one .exe. This software replies with a specific function. For example, a software to edit your
photos. Photoshop. To have another function, such as an album creator, you need to run other software. For 10 years things have been evolving. Now, you have websites where you can show
your photo album(s) and soon you'll have to rework your site for your photos online, the same way you were doing locally. Ok?

Yes, but this means that your PC is moving towards implementing a local and a single program with your browser. In this browser (Firefox, IE, safari, chrome) you will run all this software. And you have done a little already. Because a website is software. It is written in a language like PHP, Perl, C, C++ or Java, JavaScript a sort of HTML tag, that eventually does almost the same thing that your software would have done long ago locally. Windows that appear, buttons to click and the fields to fill. Beyond that, nothing is really stored locally on your PC, but stored on servers in a datacentre.

We think this will be the main issue in 2010 and in years to come. Because the stakes are enormous: the browser becomes the equivalent of an operating system. Your Firefox that runs under Windows, Linux or Mac, displays the same software: your site or your software. So, you expand your "software", not only for Windows, Linux or Mac, but for a new OS type: Firefox, IE, Safari or Chrome. It is
the new execution platform for all software.

Until now, I haven’t said anything interesting. It's just a quick summary of what's developing before our eyes. It’s just that OVH wants to intervene in this process and wants to become an indispensable player. This new software industry is taking shape before our eyes. The role of OVH in the years ahead will be to adapt to this natural evolution of engineering development within the software industry. The software may develop the same way that QT, C++ Builder or VBasic or perhaps not, but they are compiled with HTML/PHP/javascript and hosted on storage platforms and implementing software(s) that will be in huge Internet datacenters. This is our job. There will also be new development software that allows to develop a website, no actually a new software in a few hours and then thanks to Hosters like OVH, this new software can be used by thousands of people. The challenge is to accompany these developers who will naturally shift from "selling software once,
then the next version is a new sale "of the model" aka SaaS service access to a website to use the software with online payment / login where you always have the latest software "or “Cloud model , aka I pay as much as I really use the application, so if I store photos, I can pay for the GB of storage". Therefore the storage platforms and enforcement of such software requires the payment for the rent of applications which must be an alias software applications for the Web bills and simplify the accounting for this new generation of developers. They, the developers will need to develop. And our role is to accompany and help in every way that they will need to run their software.

And this is how OVH puts together our packages at this time. We have changed and continue to change the internal organisation to generate internal resources for providing fast beta frameworks. The goal is to provide hosting(s) for all sorts of developments. You can do whatever you want with the MMI, whatever the software development, whatever the language development whoever the buyer of these applications. OVH is now known for LAMP (PHP / MySQL) but there are already other languages. Ruby? Java? Google Web Toolkit? jQuery? Modori? Dojo? Rico? Pyjamas? We want to support all of them, any offer and in this way to support this new generation of software companies who rely on the Web (not a shareware executed locally).

Feel free to give us your feedback on this little reflection.

We love it when questions arise here oles@ovh.net

Regards,

Octave