OVH Community, your new community space.

Is Windows server 2003 Web Editon with no plesk completly free?

slayer2005
12-05-2008, 20:33
Well i p[layed with ubuntu desktop and now it wont let me install web edtition back on,so is it free on big servers or not?

rs8853-ovh

Marco
12-05-2008, 13:57
Windows web basic edition is free of charge except on any kimsufi server, which will cost 10GBP per month starting from the 3rd month.

If any customer have any doubt, they can contact OVH by phone at the number 0207 222 5500 or by sending an email to customersupport@ovh.co.uk.

OVH.Customer
11-05-2008, 20:03
Regardless of whether you have Plesk or not you can still access the server through remote desktop.

navid08
10-05-2008, 17:16
thanks for the info guys

Andy
10-05-2008, 11:28
Everything is pretty much covered in the post above but I'd just like to add this.

Windows without plesk still costs after 2 months.

The CPU given, as said above has very little difference between them, but its also because OVH will be getting rid of old stock. As you can imagine on the higher ones, a P4 3.06GHz VS a Core2Duo is never going to be the same speed.

I'm on 4Mbps virgin media and I can max out the full 470KB/s no problem. My average ping is 38ms.

Bear in mind on the FTP backup, only your dedicated server can access it, you can't access it outside of OVH.

Bandwidth is totally dedicated, no sharing. It has to be because they give a bandwidth SLA.

I hope this information helps you make your choice!

JALZOO
10-05-2008, 01:40
You should call ovh there number is on the website they could answer your questions better than anyone here..

If you have windows server 2003 with plesk i dont think you can access your server remotley i think you can only access it through the control panel ( Plesk ).

Bear in mind that if you dont like the current operating that you have installed.. you can install any operating system you want through the OVH manager its very easy to use and you have a vast avalibility of operating systems to use.

Servers are hosted in roubiax france but they are expanding there data centers to paris so no your server wont be hosted in the UK.
My ping is very good from my home connection ( UK virginmedia 20mbit )
Average is approx 20ms - 24ms.
Average download speed VIA FTP 1.32Mb/s from home connection.

About the hardware.. According to OVH there is no difference/Little difference between the 1.2Ghz and the 2.00Ghz i dont think you get a choice you get what you get but personally cannot see how they made there decision that 1.2Ghz had close performance to 2.00Ghz. The servers run fine on 1.2Ghz though as i have a kimsufi myself excellent value for money.
Also bear in mind with kimsufi you get 250GB HDD and 250GB Backup space.. So that toatals 500GB total storage.. No other server companys could ever match ovh!. Especially for only 20 quid!!..

If you went with windows server 2003.. You would use remote desktop to create a virtual windows enviroment so you can control it just like your own PC. Very easy indded especially for beginners or just for people who want to run windows aplications.

As for delivery time i believe OVH have a back log but are currently getting it sorted.. I believe you will get your server in less than 7 days max. But best to contact them directly for an ETA.

Im sure the question of how does ovh manage to keep everything so cheap is something everyone would like to know.. But from what ive heard and read about there network they must be spending alot of money on there behalf for our benifit. And believe me the speeds of the network and hardware companants are amazing i can get 100mb/s NO PROBLEM all the time!.. And with upto 30+ TB's of bandwidth your never going to run out. I havent had any down time since ive had my server nearly a month and i didnt have any downtime on the last server i had with ovh and that was 3 months.. so network is very good!.. If you get downtime i believe OVH will compensate you.

IF you dont want to spend an extra 10 quid after 2 months i would reccomend ubuntu desktop as i have reccomended it to few people.. its basically the same as windows.. but linux and very easy to use.. Will take a little bit of getting ust to but for saving 10 quid a month its worth it..

OVH servers are 100% dedicated with a 100mbps connection you do not share resources with anyone else.

navid08
10-05-2008, 01:28
http://www.ovh.co.uk/items/distribut...2003_basic.xml

theres no price there and i saw some people talking about you have to pay after two months?

Please can anybody explain?

also http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/kimsufi08.xml where it says

"Intel Celeron 220
1.2 GHz L2: 512KB, FSB: 533 MHz
or
Intel Celeron D
2.00 GHzL2: 256KB, FSB: 400 MHz "

where do you choose the cpu? and are both of those the same price? also which of those two cpu's is better?

is there full remote desktop access?

how long does it take for the server to be setup once i ordeR?

how will i restart and check the status of my server etc?

Is http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/kimsufi08.xml a full dedicated server? are all the resources non shared etc?

Also if i order (im from the uk) will i get a server thats hosted in the UK?

how come everything is so cheap? i dont get it, most dedicated servers from other hosts start from £40 a month. Is OVH a good / reliable host? and does it have good up time and minimal problems?

Thanks.