OVH Community, your new community space.

What does OVH do if HD fails in Pro server

pdu
10-10-2009, 07:46
Please correct me if i'm wrong, but I'd be very very surprised if the SP range of servers with sata disks have hardware capable of hotswapping disks, I suspect the server would have to be powered down to perform the replacement, that shouldn't take more than a few minutes though, especially for a tech who probably spends his life walking around a datacentre doing hardware swaps.

darkfyre
09-10-2009, 16:13
ahh, thanks for taking the time to reply :-)

nice to know the official stance is that you aim to replace without taking the server down.

sleep easy time!

Neil
09-10-2009, 16:10
I cannot guarantee as it depends how the drive has failed, if the drive has degraded and you have noticed it and opened a ticket, we verify and then intervention scheduled then we *should* be able to replace with it no problems.

Of course if there are other problems, or we are unable to diagnose the problem in the rack, then we may have to disconnect it and move it, but this is all covered under the SLA.

darkfyre
09-10-2009, 15:58
Neil, so if one disk fails .. there would be no need to power down the server ? (simply hot swap)

if so, u put my mind at ease :-) its something ive been thinking about lately.

Neil
09-10-2009, 15:56
Hi

That is completely unture, they person maybe refering to Kimsufi which we would, since there is only drive, so we a forced to reinstall it.

We only replace the faulty drives only, so on an SP BestOF we will replace the faulty drive and you will need to copy the contents to the new drive, which you can do with this guide, http://help.ovh.co.uk/RaidSoft (This is because it is Soft RAID) for Linux and for Windows you would just use Server Management page to Rebuild the RAID.

For servers with RAID Controllers we replace the drive and then let it rebuild itself.

Also we would never replace drives that are working fine, as that would be a big waste!

darkfyre
09-10-2009, 15:56
Im sure i read in a previous post on this forum that they could not hot swap disks if one failed and ur server would need to be powered down etc.

I also read what you read, if a disk fails .. you loose everything and need to reformat.

What I read was posted by users and not staff so I wasnt totally sure. The entire thing made me wonder, whats the point of using Raid if OVH cant utilise it...

Again, what I read might be totally wrong and OVH might be able to hot swap and replace only one disk if one fails, rather the both.

Would be interesting if someone at OVH might be able to confirm this ?

tim2718281
09-10-2009, 15:45
What does OVH do if a hard disk fails in a Pro server (This particular server was SP Bestof.)

This guy reckons you replace all the disks in the server, so the user needs to reinstall, reload data, etc.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...64#post6434264

"... in every case I have ever heard of they *always* replace *all* the HD's when they pull a rack because it's so costly in manpower to pull a rack at all."

That seems vanishingly unlikely to me.