OVH Community, your new community space.

Some updates in the London OVH network

marks
04-11-2009, 14:05
We've passed your ideas on the head offices. It'll be taken into consideration there.

Thanks for the feedback everyone

elvis1
01-11-2009, 05:50
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
@Andy you should have external email even if it is just forwarded back to your other account. This way you can still read the emails @gmail or whatever when your server is offline.
that was my point

Andy
30-10-2009, 19:14
External mail is no more reliable than my own anyway, so I see no point. I always keep at least one backup e-mail account anyway incase my server or the the DC is inaccessible.

freshwire
30-10-2009, 18:28
@Andy you should have external email even if it is just forwarded back to your other account. This way you can still read the emails @gmail or whatever when your server is offline.

DedicatedPros
30-10-2009, 17:53
Use Polish mail.. you'll get the letter after a month, torn up, most likely read by the guy driving the delivery truck, with an invoice asking you to pay for a delivery fee

Myatu
30-10-2009, 16:26
Use Royal Mail! 5 weeks from now you'll receive a letter saying "Planned network maintenance for October 27th".

Andy
30-10-2009, 11:31
Gmail don't offer the features I require, or I probably would.

elvis1
30-10-2009, 06:21
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
E-mail is also a bad idea, especially for those whose e-mail is hosted on an OVH server... Such as mine
bad idea.. use gmail

Andy
29-10-2009, 23:36
Perhaps, but some maintenance has to be done on the short-term warnings, especially if it's an urgent routing change, etc. Remember not everyone may check their e-mails every day either.

As above, just having a site hosted away from OVH would be beneficial to us.

LawsHosting
29-10-2009, 19:44
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
E-mail is also a bad idea, especially for those whose e-mail is hosted on an OVH server... Such as mine
Not if they send it days before (to warn us), like I suggested.......i'm talking of planned maintenance warnings here, not on-the-spot failures, that'll be unlogical

marks
29-10-2009, 19:03
All the works have finished now.

No downtime.

freshwire
28-10-2009, 21:03
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
I saw that LOL
Yeah a few people did. They were wondering what had gone wrong lol.

Myatu
28-10-2009, 18:56
I saw that LOL

freshwire
28-10-2009, 18:54
I will demonstrate how it's done

Myatu
28-10-2009, 18:52
I'd still like to see a blog... Not just for Oles' posts in one spot but for things like these. Plus a blog gives you an RSS feed, so that would also satisfy automatic updates in whichever client you use.

Twitter is of course a good thing too (but you already use that anyway -- just not as often as you should). Added benefit is that this is off-site, so in a worst case scenario where OVH is whiped off the Earth, you can still tweet "Uhoh".

Andy
28-10-2009, 18:25
I do have a backup e-mail, but I don't have access via POP/IMAP, it's webmail only. Had the address years so I'm not changing to another just for OVH... That e-mail is my backup for OVH too where all OVH e-mails go already.

freshwire
28-10-2009, 18:11
You should have a backup email for such things..

Also if you get a problem with your server how do you get like netbook/vKVM emails?

Andy
28-10-2009, 18:00

MicroChip123
28-10-2009, 17:50
A Blog with would be a good idea.

Marks i have emailed you.

sonia89
28-10-2009, 17:22
my server is called biatch cos she can be 1 at times heheheh

Razakel
28-10-2009, 17:17
Quote Originally Posted by Tz-OVH
Twitter page
RSS feed
Blog type update site

Just ensure its offsite hosted so if the OVH datacenter is facing trouble, the page should still be accessible
Yeah, a status page hosted off-site would be an idea. Even if it's just a blog or something.

Automatically send emails announcing outages to customers with affected services, too.

epscylonb
28-10-2009, 17:07
Quote Originally Posted by Marks
To this aim, it would be very interesting to know what ways this could be done to suit you. All your ideas will be taken into account and passed on for consideration to the developers.

Thanks
I vote for email...

MicroChip123
28-10-2009, 17:01
attack for sure. Check if your IP hasn't been router-protected to mitigate the effect. Drop us an email to the support.
I made a ticket at 7AM but no one has looked at it.
Whats your email?

Domain: ks306017.kimsufi.com

marks
28-10-2009, 17:00
BTW, tomorrow the works in the DC will be finished early in the morning.

Knowing already the bug found today, there won't be any problem this time.

Tz-OVH
28-10-2009, 16:59
As you've probably seen, the problem's been sorted a few hours ago. Overall, there were 5 micro-cuts of 2-6 minutes each the maximum.

That was due to a problem/bug in one of the routers, so you have this tasks http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=3508&edit=yep

OVH always tries to be as transparent as possible, for which you'll see the latest updates in http://travaux.ovh.net (with the help of google translator better, and no, I'm afraid there are no plans in the near future to have it in English) and as much as we can from the UK support in the forum.

Of course, you've also experienced the need of better communication with the customers in case of such problems. To have a more pro-active system to warn or keep you informed if there is any issue is something we'll be requesting to the French head office for consideration.

To this aim, it would be very interesting to know what ways this could be done to suit you. All your ideas will be taken into account and passed on for consideration to the developers.

Thanks
Twitter page
RSS feed
Blog type update site

Just ensure its offsite hosted so if the OVH datacenter is facing trouble, the page should still be accessible

marks
28-10-2009, 16:55
Would this work explain this on my MRTG Graphs?

http://i34.tinypic.com/oif7mu.png

Or was i attacked?
attack for sure. Check if your IP hasn't been router-protected to mitigate the effect. Drop us an email to the support.

MicroChip123
28-10-2009, 16:46
Would this work explain this on my MRTG Graphs?

Or was i attacked?

freshwire
28-10-2009, 16:45
Just have an option to subscribe to OVH travaux thing via email. Have it automatically fetch a google translated copy and send that out?

marks
28-10-2009, 16:32
As you've probably seen, the problem's been sorted a few hours ago. Overall, there were 5 micro-cuts of 2-6 minutes each the maximum.

That was due to a problem/bug in one of the routers, so you have this tasks http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=3508&edit=yep

OVH always tries to be as transparent as possible, for which you'll see the latest updates in http://travaux.ovh.net (with the help of google translator better, and no, I'm afraid there are no plans in the near future to have it in English) and as much as we can from the UK support in the forum.

Of course, you've also experienced the need of better communication with the customers in case of such problems. To have a more pro-active system to warn or keep you informed if there is any issue is something we'll be requesting to the French head office for consideration.

Thanks

Euan
28-10-2009, 16:30
Quote Originally Posted by stalks
A mailing list for future disruptive events would be a good idea. Or simply mail all your subscribers.
Yes because thats just what we need is french mails being sent to us lol.

freshwire
28-10-2009, 15:53
Servers are not just machines they have feelings also
Yes and names. My server is called george

As for the downtime this is what I saw:

Razakel
28-10-2009, 15:44
Quote Originally Posted by AdamD
Out of curiousity, what IS the London Datacentre? I thought all OVH servers were in France?
Or is it used for connectivity of some sort?
It's used for connectivity. They don't have any servers in London, but they peer at LINX, so obviously they need to have some datacenter space to actually put the routers. :P

AdamD
28-10-2009, 15:20
Out of curiousity, what IS the London Datacentre? I thought all OVH servers were in France?
Or is it used for connectivity of some sort?

Myatu
28-10-2009, 14:43
By the way, for those using twitter. OVH UK has its own account now (twitter.com/OVHuk) and the French team uses twitter.com/ovhteam.

Even if you don't understand French, their French team's tweets are generally easy to figure out, for example: "ldn-1-6k: Nous avons un problème au niveau du routeur ldn-1-6k impactant le trafic v.. " ... I can pick out "London 1 6K, Problem, Router, Impact Traffic" from that. Et voila!

That way you don't have to continuously check back in this forum.

epscylonb
28-10-2009, 13:54
An email would be appreciated.

I did look for a service status page in google and couldn't find anything, as others have said that page being french is in chocolate teapot territory for me I am afraid.

All that being said I know why companies sometimes don't announce this sort of thing, often if the register (or sites like it) runs a story on a outage the source will be service status pages of the company concerned. If the outage is not announced then often the register won't notice even if lots of customers do. And once a story is on register it is there forever and potential customers can find it when looking up providers.

Its a very tricky balance between good customer relations and avoiding negative publicity.

That being said I would like to echo other posters statements about OVH's reliability, I have in the past had minor network blips but this is the first time I have ever experienced anything like an outage. However I did emails from ovh about the network blips so I was surprised when I heard nothing about this and had to find out about it on this forum.

I can only surmise that the work was routine and something did indeed go unexpectedly "wrong", at least they didn't make up some **** about flux capicitors

danieln
28-10-2009, 13:26
Often when our box is down the OVH site is also down meaning I cant always check the forums... so I call ovh which ends up wasting their time too!

I do agree an email advising of any planned maintenance would at least give us a little notice, and should things go wrong (which I do admin is rare with ovh thankfully) we would all be less irate...

Oh yes and the site being in french isnt great...

sonia89
28-10-2009, 13:19
@Lawshosting i understand what your saying maybe some warning should of been put in place. But it wasn at least they posted here and told us

darkfyre
28-10-2009, 13:11
i wondered why i kept getting kicked from vent every 15 mins or so ...

I dont understand the Travaux site as i dont speak or understand French .. is the work still ongoing ? I was last d/c'ed about 10 minutes ago.. (dont wanna raise a ticket incase its a network problem you already know about rather than an issue with my server)

LawsHosting
28-10-2009, 13:10
Quote Originally Posted by sonia89
They probably didn relise the changover mite of gone wrong!!
Im not having a go, its just good business to warn a week beforehand. I even warn my customers when I upgrade my servers (apache, php, etc), then they'll be aware if things go wrong, and wont get irritable.

stalks
28-10-2009, 13:00
A mailing list for future disruptive events would be a good idea. Or simply mail all your subscribers.

sonia89
28-10-2009, 12:58
They probably didn relise the changover mite of gone wrong!!

Thx for letting us know marks

LawsHosting
28-10-2009, 12:56
Couldn't OVH somehow warn its customers way beforehand by email so we have time to prepare and tell our customers? As I surely have no time to check the forum and Travoux frequently.

Cheers.

marks
28-10-2009, 12:29
check the progression of the work at:

http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=3482

We switched traffic through linx226 Telecity but the changeover has gone wrong

All the cuts so far are just 3-6 minutes long. Again, sorry for the inconveniences

marks
28-10-2009, 12:12
There is some update works going on in the London OVH datacenter. This is related to the improvements and upgrades done last week to our network devices and peering/transit connections in LINX.

Apologies if there are some temporal interruptions in the connection to the OVH datacenter. They've been 2 this morning, but around 5 minutes long, anything else.

I'll keep you up to date here