OVH Community, your new community space.

HG 2010-10G

freshwire
03-12-2009, 16:36
(Just me who thinks Oles should write these posts out in english by hand so it makes more sense in english?)
Posts do get translated by the OVH UK team once they get a chance. But I would rather have the news in french than have to wait for it to be translated.

dansgalaxy
03-12-2009, 16:05
Ok, might just be me but I barely understood any of the initial post mainly because it seems to have been translated... (Just me who thinks Oles should write these posts out in english by hand so it makes more sense in english?)

But is this basically where you pay a fixed amount each month and pretty much pay for all the hardware/config upfront in a setup fee?

IainK
03-12-2009, 00:22
Did someone at OVH get the dates confused and think that today was April 1st? No? Someone please tell me this a joke? :/

£4480!?!?!?

Update: Ok. Ok. I've done a little pricing up, and this isn't seeming to be the worst deal I've ever heard. Here's what I worked out it would cost for only some of the parts to build a server like the HG-10G XL for yourself. These are the cheapest prices I found without making a huge effort.
I have used pricing exc VAT as that is closer to what OVH will be paying, but imagine that for yourself this will cost an additional 15% unless you are a business and VAT registered.

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5530 (£472.78 each) = £945.56
RAM: 24GB kit (8GBx3) = £1350.99
HDD: 20x 1TB SAS 7200rpm Drives (£189.00 each) = £3,780
Motherboard: Intel® Server Board S5500BC = £246
Case + PSU = £200ish

So with no CD/DVD, no SAS controller cards and no cooling we're already totalling £6,532.55.

Still, the setup fee is covering 68.58% of the server up front. That's a bit much.

RapidSpeeds
02-12-2009, 13:12
Quote Originally Posted by glidewave
Once again, seems like someone, while intoxicated, came up with the pricing scheme for this new line. One year cost on the HG 2010-10G Extra Large is £10,407 including the setup fee. One can purchase a supermicro or equiv server and co-locate it at ovh for less than the 1 year cost of "leasing" from ovh. In fact, you can just about purchase outright an equivalent box for the setup fee alone (w/10G nic). £4480 setup fee would be considered a joke if not so outlandish.

Edit: Actually, you could purchase a dual X5570 box and still colocate for less than the 1 year cost....
Good comment..

I think anyone who has that kind of money is off there head to not purchase there own hardware and colo.

glidewave
09-11-2009, 02:56
Once again, seems like someone, while intoxicated, came up with the pricing scheme for this new line. One year cost on the HG 2010-10G Extra Large is £10,407 including the setup fee. One can purchase a supermicro or equiv server and co-locate it at ovh for less than the 1 year cost of "leasing" from ovh. In fact, you can just about purchase outright an equivalent box for the setup fee alone (w/10G nic). £4480 setup fee would be considered a joke if not so outlandish.

Edit: Actually, you could purchase a dual X5570 box and still colocate for less than the 1 year cost....

tim2718281
31-10-2009, 09:09
Well, people are often frustrated at having to pay monthly fees for things like RAM and disk upgrades. So having a fixed monthly cost regardless of configuration will be attractive to some.

But I did not understand the network transfer; looking at the ovh.com web site, the new HG servers have an aggregate of 200mbps for the customer's infrastructure.

On the UK site, the old HG servers have traffic of 40TB per month., which is an average of over 100 mbps per server. That's better than the new HG servers.

Andy
30-10-2009, 19:18
For those who want the translation...

Hello,
The new HG 2010-10G is here! It is a little different from
Dedicated servers that you've known up there at OVH. For
different reasons. We tried to combine several
"good" ideas in this range to better meet the needs.

A different server you say? Yes, it's already the 1st server
Roubaix Valley with the 10G network interface by default.
TenGigabitEthernet. Default. Sorry sir, no less
that 10Gbps ...

Most importantly, we have tried to regroup in the HG 2010-10G
the best of the rental of servers and the best leasing.
2 worlds that opposed to this and trying to offer
now a solution.

Indeed, when talking with our customers HG, we do not speak
a standard server, catalog, but as soon as a server or
custom servers. Each server has a specific role in
a cluster, each server type is different. It takes
RAM for the SQL, it takes a lot of fast disks for
storage, you need a server to Web BestOf must record
Fast SSD for receiving emails, it takes a lot of RAM
and DSS for server virtualization that will work with
Another iSCSI remote server which will have many records.
In short, personalization, role-based server in
infrastructure.

And therefore, we speak often qu'Ovh options until there trying
transcribe in monthly rent. This gave rise to
server lines ... standard. And therefore not adapted to 100% at all
needs. Then, the rental price that changes as
the type of server is a source of uncertainty in the model
growth of infrastructure. If I need to add a
new server, I must look at what type it is,
then how much it costs each month.

We tried to do otherwise and call into question "a little"
the principle of the monthly (after we see whether this new
model will appeal or not, but it seems to fit quite a few
Wholesale customers type HG. at all? you give us feedback).

And therefore, the cost of the server HG is the same whatever the type
server. 299Euro HT / month. You pay 299Euro VAT / month for a
HG with 24GB of RAM and 48GB of RAM, with 2x1To and 8x1To, etc..
This is the "best rent": the fixed cost each month.

By cons, you've setup fee to be paid depending
personalization server. You do not pay once. It is
the best of "leasing".

To simplify the approach: a HG without disks cost 299Euro HT / month
and you pay at the beginning and then only once the RAM and hard
want to have in your HG.

The best of the "location": everything is guaranteed for life. The best
of "leasing" you can customize every moment of life
your server. The best of the "location", you have all the service
included with the server that is hosting, and network support.
The best of "leasing" which invests in options, you
pay more than the price of a HG base which allows for service
Global: server, hosting, and network support.

So much for principle. 4 families of servers "to customize"
are described at:

http://www.ovh.com/fr/produits/hg_2010_bestof.xml

With the HG 2010-10G is starting servers "Leclerc tank" with 20
1TB hard drives. This is a server (with 8 disks) and
SAS a shelf (with 12 disks). Setup Fee: 3415.30 exc
Then 548 Euro HT / month (exc 299Euro per month for the HG 249Euro + VAT / month
for the shelf). The equivalent in a manufacturer costs more
8000Euro (to purchase) then he should host it, connect to the network
and deal with every day. HG 2010-10G is Extra Large
positioned so a simple and extensible (max 144 discs).

http://www.ovh.com/fr/produits/hg_2010_extralarge.xml

Those are examples where we try to go with the HG 2010-10G.

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards
Octave

DedicatedPros
30-10-2009, 18:38
Now let's finally kill the horrible things setup fees are, and enjoy extremely good servers for low prices

Tz-OVH
30-10-2009, 18:03
How nice, 30% discount on the worlds largest setup fee.

oles@ovh.net
30-10-2009, 17:00
Hello,

The new HG 2010-10G is here! It is a little different from the Dedicated servers that you've known here at OVH. For many different reasons. We tried to combine several "good" ideas in this range to better meet your needs.

A different server you say? Yes, it's already the 1st server Roubaix Valley with the 10G network interface by default. TenGigabitEthernet. Default. Sorry sir, no less that 10Gbps ...

Most importantly, we have tried to regroup in the HG 2010-10G the best of the rental of servers and the best leasing. 2 worlds that opposed to this and trying to offer now a solution.

Indeed, when talking with our customers HG, we do not speak of a standard server, catalog, but as soon as a server or custom servers. Each server has a specific role in a cluster, each server type is different. It takes RAM for the SQL, it takes a lot of fast disks for storage, you need a server to Web BestOf must record Fast SSD for receiving emails, it takes a lot of RAM and DSS for server virtualisation that will work with Another iSCSI remote server which will have many records. In short, personalisation, role-based server in infrastructure.

And therefore, we speak often that Ovh options until there trying transcribe in monthly rent. This gave rise to server lines ... standard. And therefore not adapted to 100% of all needs. Then, it is the rental price that changes as the type of server is a source of uncertainty in the model growth of infrastructure. If I need to add a new server, I must look at what type it is, then how much it costs each month.

We tried to do otherwise and call into question "a little" of the principle of the monthly (after we see whether this new model will appeal or not, but it seems to fit quite a few Wholesale customers type HG. at all? you give us feedback).

And therefore, the cost of the server HG is the same whatever the type server. £299 Ex. VAT / month. You pay £299 VAT / month for a HG with 24GB of RAM and 48GB of RAM, with 2x1TB and 8x1TB, etc.. This is the "best rent": the fixed cost each month.

By cons, you've setup fee to be paid depending personalisation server. You do not pay once. It is the best of "leasing".

To simplify the approach: a HG without disks cost £299 HT / month and you pay at the beginning and then only once the RAM and hard disk you want to have in your HG.

The best of the "location": everything is guaranteed for life. The best of "leasing" you can customise during every moment of the life of your server. The best of the "location", you have all the service included with the server that is hosting, and network support. The best of "leasing" which invests in options, you pay more than the price of a HG base which allows for service Global: server, hosting, and network support.

So much for principle. 4 families of servers "to customise" are described at:

http://www.ovh.com/fr/produits/hg_2010_bestof.xml

With the HG 2010-10G is starting servers "Leclerc tank" with 20 1TB hard drives. This is a server (with 8 disks) and SAS a shelf (with 12 disks). Setup Fee: 3415.30 exc Then £548 Ex. VAT / month (exc £299 per month for the HG £249 + VAT / month for the shelf). The equivalent in a manufacturer costs more 8000Euro (to purchase) then he should host it, connect to the network and deal with every day. HG 2010-10G is Extra Large positioned so a simple and extensible (max 144 discs).

http://www.ovh.com/fr/produits/hg_2010_extralarge.xml

Those are examples where we try to go with the HG 2010-10G.

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
Octave