OVH Community, your new community space.

Changing SSH Port

Neil
12-11-2009, 09:52
Hi

If you are looking at moving ISP's have a look at Sam Knows, it tells you everything about your exchange and what services you can get:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/ch...e-availability

demoneye
12-11-2009, 09:44
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
For the ISP virgin media (cable) provides a really large download limit.
Ahh - if only - no cable where I am, which I assume there would be as I'm on a pretty new estate ( < 5 years old ).

Any how...

Tested the OpenVPN connection this morning, and surprise, I get my full bandwidth when downloading. Tried with WinSCP again and it is indeed throttled down to 4Mb (My max speed is 6.2Mb).

I now look forward to discussing this issue with BT tech support and seeing what they have to say!

Again, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, and helped me to thwart the evil BT.

freshwire
12-11-2009, 02:01
For the ISP virgin media (cable) provides a really large download limit. On there middle plan you can do 6GB during the day before receiving a speed limit and 3GB during the evening time. That is on a per day basis.. so it resets. The speed limit also resets after 5 hours of being applied. Compared to BT it seems limitless.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html...t/traffic.html

For the ADSL be broadband tend to get good reviews. Try http://www.bethere.co.uk/

mack
11-11-2009, 22:28
Quote Originally Posted by demoneye
Hi,

I want to change the SSH port from the default of 22 on my Ubuntu Desktop installation...

I changed it in "/etc/ssh/ssh_config" and "/etc/ssh/sshd_config" and was able to connect to the machine with Putty and WinSCP using the new port with no problems.

When I tried to connect using the NXClient on the new port it fails being unable to authorise the user.

Where else do I need to update the revised SSH port information?

The reason for the change is that it appears that British Telecom (my ISP) is throttling FTP/SFTP constantly and I want to try a new port to see if it's port specific or the whole protocol.

Can anyone suggest an appropriate port number to try - I plucked 64 out of the air! Failing this, I'm going to have to try moving away from that protocol altogether, and I assume the only alternative will be to through the whole process of setting up a website and using HTTP instead.

Thanks

D
sudo nano /etc/nxserver/node.conf
#SSHD_PORT=22

Remove # and change to the port.

sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
AllowUsers nx user

demoneye
11-11-2009, 21:09
All done

Took a few hours of Googling to find out how to actually share a folder from Ubuntu, but got that working too (Samba - doh!)

Tomorrow morning for another trial and fingers crossed it should all work!

I assume a simple copy/paste from the folder I can see on the VPN to the folder I want to download to is all I need to do? Anything else I need to consider?

Winit
11-11-2009, 18:57
Use OpenVPNAS: http://openvpn.net/index.php/access-...penvpn-as.html

demoneye
11-11-2009, 07:19
Damn you BT - port 80 has made no difference...

TBH though my non FTP/SCP rate has gone up! From 6.2Mb to 7.2Mb

Time to look at setting up OpenVPN now - got to admit, coming from a Windows environment background, and having read a few tutorials it all seems like a black art to me!!!

Oh well, izzy whizzy, let's get busy...

Now, the big question is, can anyone point me to a good tutorial on setting up OpenVPN on a cheapo Kimsufi box (C-05G)... Thanks in advance...

demoneye
10-11-2009, 20:32
OK - all files updated to port 80 and I can now connect to the server with Putty on port 80, WinSCP on port 80 and (Woot!) NXClient on port 80.

I can't test if this makes any difference until the morning as I'm in my 1Mb throttle period from good old BT.

I'll test in the morning and let you know if it makes any difference...

Thanks for all the help from you guys on here.

Razakel
10-11-2009, 19:29
Unfortunately broadband infrastructure in the UK is piss-poor. BT are planning to roll out FTTN/D, but I'll probably be dead before that happens.

Myatu
10-11-2009, 16:03
Yeah, those "fair use" policies make those "unlimited broadband" statements false advertising. The Gadget Show had a story on it (http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/blog/unlimited-broadband) -- they've got a list of whom to complain to. I think Sky was the only one who honored "unlimited" without a fair use policy...

unclebob
10-11-2009, 16:00
If you're not running a web server, run SSH over port 80 or port 443.

Also, we really need a good unlimited (or high allowance) broadband provider in the UK. If OVH provided broadband, I'd sign up in a heartbeat. I can live with 15ms to London then 4ms to France and a geo-localised IP

demoneye
10-11-2009, 15:48
Yep - every month I get a regular email from BT saying I've breached their fair usage policy (sic - I have a unlimited connection!!!) informing me that I will be throttled to 1Mb from 6pm to midnight.

The throttling of port22/ftp(and other) protocols seems to be in place all day!

On a standard HTML download (e.g. GPU drivers from Nvidia website) I will get my full available bandwidth (6.2Mb) - when I use WinSCP to download from my server the highest speed I can get is 4Mb!

I've discussed this with OVH support and we've examined pings and traceroutes and they've confimed that the delay is taking place within the BT infrastructure.

I even had a BT engineer out yesterday to test the line (even though I know this is not the problem) and he confirmed the line is crystal clear. More annoyingly, I received a follow up call from BT OpenReach yesterday evening to ask if I was happy with the service from the engineer - I explained the issue and queried why I was being throttled 24/7 on port 22 - he promptly put the phone down on me! (Grrrrrrrr....)

derchris
10-11-2009, 15:11
They are not doing it on a port basis, bt on a line basis.
There is a Fair usage policy here in the UK.
Almost all of the ISPs have one, and restrict the users line if it reaches certain limits.

MIODude
10-11-2009, 14:35
you need to modify the server.cfg file for the NX server in two places, the SSHD port and then the SSHD Auth port.. The file is located is /usr/NX/etc/server.cfg

Then recycle (but... i forget the command offhand to recycle NX)

I'd be very suprised if an ISP is throttling port 22 though..... thats an important port for most support folks

Myatu
10-11-2009, 14:09
NX Server uses SSH to authenticate and create the VNC/X-Windows tunnel. So basically, you should be fine running SSH on any other port, as long as you tell the NX client about it For example, I'm using one on port 11122 (try not using ports below 1025 if you can).

Also, you may want to look into the use of OpenVPN or another VPN product. Reason being that it is on an encrypted, private pipe so you don't have to worry about snooping - including protocol throttling, etc.

demoneye
10-11-2009, 13:25
Quote Originally Posted by derchris
And why use FTP/SFTP if you can use SCP ?
Sorry - should have included that as well - SCP suffers from the same apparent throttle...

derchris
10-11-2009, 13:06
NX is using its own SSH server afaik.
Have a look at their documentation.

And why use FTP/SFTP if you can use SCP ?

demoneye
10-11-2009, 13:04
Hi,

I want to change the SSH port from the default of 22 on my Ubuntu Desktop installation...

I changed it in "/etc/ssh/ssh_config" and "/etc/ssh/sshd_config" and was able to connect to the machine with Putty and WinSCP using the new port with no problems.

When I tried to connect using the NXClient on the new port it fails being unable to authorise the user.

Where else do I need to update the revised SSH port information?

The reason for the change is that it appears that British Telecom (my ISP) is throttling FTP/SFTP constantly and I want to try a new port to see if it's port specific or the whole protocol.

Can anyone suggest an appropriate port number to try - I plucked 64 out of the air! Failing this, I'm going to have to try moving away from that protocol altogether, and I assume the only alternative will be to through the whole process of setting up a website and using HTTP instead.

Thanks

D