OVH Community, your new community space.

Strange problem..

Busby
19-11-2009, 19:08
Ah right..

The shows are supplied by over 100 different DJ's who use different encoders and they are put on the server in different ways. However, the 'problem' can effect any file..

Someone suggested it could be a language problem, its currently set to English [UK]..

freshwire
19-11-2009, 18:42
I don't mean when you set the tags.

When originally encoding the file use another converter. That is what I am saying. It is possible the character is there from the converter but just doesn't come to light until edited.

Busby
19-11-2009, 17:50
OK, sorry - I just use explorer to set the tags, but have tried other ideas..

freshwire
13-11-2009, 23:59
I am saying that don't use that program to do your encoding originally.

Busby
13-11-2009, 23:22
Thanks for the reply..

I have tried 'MP3 To Wave Converter PLUS 2.5 b9' and it shows up in ID3v2 but not version ID3v1.

I doesn't matter how I set the tag, it still happens..

freshwire
13-11-2009, 23:09
MP3 To Wave Converter PLUS 2.5 b9
Try to convert with another converter.

Also the character is not present in the ID3v1 Tag.

Busby
12-11-2009, 19:33
I have tried an MP3 tagger and it made no difference..

Let me describe a senerio under which the character might appear - I say might, because it isn't possible to create it at will, it happens randomly..

The majority of the files are 'shows' - maybe 1 or 2 hours long and anything up to 300Mb in size. The show will be downloaded from a remote ftp, client such as Megaupload, or uploaded onto my server via my ftp. I then set the tags, if they haven't already been set and everything is fine [no character]. Next time the next edition of the same show is up/downloaded, the previous show is renamed 'Artist Name - Show Title [Replay]' and moved to another folder called 'Replay'. At the point of renaming I can get 'Artist Name* - Show Title [Replay]', or sometimes the character will appear after the file has been moved to the 'replay' folder..

You can download a file with the character in here: File

Thanks for your continued interest..

Tz-OVH
12-11-2009, 17:02
Try using an ID3 tag application?
Maybe the font character got corrupted, try re-installing the fonts.

Got a screenshot?

Busby
12-11-2009, 02:08
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
Is the character visible on just the shoutcast stream or with any editor/player?
The character is visible when you view the file [Right Click] or the folder selecting the 'Artist' and 'Title' in the 'Choose details' tab. When the file plays is shows an english character in the listeners player - often a question mark 'Artist Name? - Track Name'

Hope this helps..

freshwire
12-11-2009, 01:54
Is the character visible on just the shoutcast stream or with any editor/player?

Busby
11-11-2009, 11:56
Hi, thanks for the kind replies..

No, I've made no changes - and because I am a complete novice with servers, I leave everything I don't understand alone

Any suggestions for any checks I can run please?

Andy
11-11-2009, 10:54
As above it sounds like corruption to the data. I've had similar occurrences where entire folders of files have become badly named and the data is corrupt.

DedicatedPros
11-11-2009, 09:10
These types of characters generally appear when there is some data corruption or system incompatibility, so have you recently made *any* changes to your setup?

Busby
11-11-2009, 02:13
This is an unusual one - but here goes..

I have a Windows 2003 server on which I run my radio station. I have the playout system, music files and shoutcast streams all on the same server..

A couple of months ago I started having problems with the id3 tags in the MP3 music files. Basically, the files are named 'Artist Name - Track Title', then I right click and fill in the 'Artist' and 'Title' tags.

Everything has been fine for almost 2 years but now I find that in the 'Artist' tag I randomly get a Chinese character after the Artist name - like 'Artist*' where the * is a Chinese character.

I am at a total loss as to why this is happening. The character appears at random, and can be different, and appears after the tag was originally written..

Any ideas would be much appreciated