OVH Community, your new community space.

Some Questions.

freshwire
02-12-2009, 14:54
Even if with the single thread USA only get's 1/10th of your 100Mbit you can still be pushing 100 with 10 gamers

IainK
02-12-2009, 14:04
Heh well that's ok, half the time I'm that sleep deprived I don't make a word of sense :P

Andy
02-12-2009, 14:02
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
Presumably you mean that it goes over transit, not peering, am I correct?
I do. It was late, what can I say I'll correct it.

IainK
02-12-2009, 06:49
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Speed to outside Europe goes over peering, but you still get good bandwidth
Presumably you mean that it goes over transit, not peering, am I correct?

Andy
02-12-2009, 00:09
Speed to outside Europe goes over transit, but you still get good bandwidth. I have people in USA using my website who can pull 20Mbps and more easily. I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone in the world will be able to access it, OVH just have their own peering network to save costs, and pass on the savings to customers.

Razakel
01-12-2009, 20:06
Running a game server on an Atom? o.O

Doesn't exactly strike me as being a great idea.

lukus001
01-12-2009, 17:45
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I found an old post on the forums with someone mentioning about game servers who apeared to be running 3 similar games on an RPS1 package so I feel pretty safe that an RPS1 can handle my needs.

Disk access is obviously going to be a bottle neck since it is limted /shared resource but I'm sure I can overcome this by making a RAM disk ^_^.

I do have one more question and that is about the network. I understand that OVH network /peers is limited to europe (chtix network?) so what happens when people out of europe try accessing my server? I know it will most likely jump on a public network of some sort under a low priority but what sort of speeds can i expect, latency etc.? Specifically america? Would 100Mbit drop to a stupid ammount like 1Mbit or is it quite reasonable?

Also, While I have used linux a few times I'm certainly not in the know-how in regards to running a server (properly) and some of the more technical, networking knowledge i once had is gone and security was nevr something I had to worry about - While google is tabbed right now and I'm certainly not shy of searching, if anyone has a bookmarked resource /page that would help is certainly appreciated .

RapidSpeeds
27-11-2009, 11:22
I think the purpose of the RPS was purely to take on Virtual Servers/Shared Hosting?

You will get better speeds with a RPS than a dedi box shared with 8people.

gigabit
18-11-2009, 03:51
Depends what youre doing really, I've played with some RPSes before, and the disk is reeeally slow (yes i know you can buy better) but by the time you get the full 100mbit disk speed youre paying the same as a SP mini

elvis1
18-11-2009, 03:10
Quote Originally Posted by gigabit
They have always been uncapped, was he not stating that a RPS wouldnt be able to manage 5TB that well, so it was better to get a server with a 5TB limit than try pushing 5TB with a RPS.

question comes to my mind: better to whom?

Id rather pay 10 eu for 5tb than X amount for a kimmy or a dedi for sure.

gigabit
18-11-2009, 02:46
They have always been uncapped, was he not stating that a RPS wouldnt be able to manage 5TB that well, so it was better to get a server with a 5TB limit than try pushing 5TB with a RPS.

elvis1
18-11-2009, 01:14
sorry for kind of threadjack, but: each rps are now uncapped? I recall hearing from Marks this about monthly transfers :

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showpost.php?p=16058&postcount=2

has it changed?

Myatu
17-11-2009, 20:59
No worries As for the inaccessibility, the data is restricted to a single RPS on the storage server's side. My assumption is that this is to reduce security risks indeed.

lukus001
17-11-2009, 20:14
Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions Myatu

In regards to:
That's a bit of an ongoing discussion. You cannot access the same storage from another RPS, however there a few other methods that can overcome this.
Providing it not too complicated, why is data inaccessable via other servers (only due to security risks possibly?)

Thanks again

Myatu
16-11-2009, 13:21
Quote Originally Posted by lukus001
In regards to the dedicated servers, whats the difference between OVH and Kimsufi? They both sell dedicated servers and seem to be owned by the same people? Kimsurfi Appears to be cheaper and with better hardware too?
You're right that it's the same company (OVH). Kimsufi's are meant for the casual users / gamers, whereas OVH's range are meant for professional use (such as a better SLA, more support options and better hardware choices).

RPS - is it really a dedicated server using networked storage? Why such a big price difference? A quad core RPS is cheaper than a dual core dedicated, and with lots of big websites using networked storage anyways, apart from the fact it's shared and thus i/o is restricted somewhat, shouldn't RPS be better?
The RPSes are purpose built to keep costs low, while still giving you an actual dedicated CPU and RAM (unlike VPS systems, which shares the CPU/RAM of one machine). Less hardware (and so, smaller sizes) compared to a full dedicated server is your price difference.

I would say that an RPS would be a good choice if you're not making extensive use of the storage system.

If i have several RPS' and for arguments sake lets just say I buy 2, can my second RPS access the same storage that my first RPS uses, i.e. acts as a load balancer for a web server?
That's a bit of an ongoing discussion. You cannot access the same storage from another RPS, however there a few other methods that can overcome this.

Would it also be possible to use the space the second RPS is allocated to act as a back-up storage, i.e. as If i had a RAID set up?
It already is in a RAID setup at the storage servers itself, nor can you share the partitions as mentioned earlier.

If i buy Two or more RPS can I have my allocated bandwidth 'shared' between all servers or a specific group of servers?
The RPS'es come with 100 Mbit unlimited (though they are not guaranteed to be 100 Mbit at all times). So you are not limited to the amount of traffic, unlike the dedicated servers (except for the "SP Unlimited" series).

Say I use one as a backup server only, I'd rather share this redundant xTB of bandwidth with my other servers before they reach the limit and get capped at 10Mbps.
For the dedicated servers: The amount of traffic is *per* server and you cannot allocate it to other servers.

RPS1 - How much performance can you get out of it? I'd like to run atleast one L4D server which is what im primarily looking at RPS1 to handle
I don't know. I think someone else here's got an L4D server, hopefully he'll notice this post I do wonder how disk intensive an L4D server would be though... You're probably better off with a Kimsufi server, which is specifically meant for these kind of server.

lukus001
15-11-2009, 20:32
Heya,

I've been looking into OVH's RPS /Dedicated servers and was wondering if anyone could answer some questions.

In regards to the dedicated servers, whats the difference between OVH and Kimsufi? They both sell dedicated servers and seem to be owned by the same people? Kimsurfi Appears to be cheaper and with better hardware too?

RPS - is it really a dedicated server using networked storage? Why such a big price difference? A quad core RPS is cheaper than a dual core dedicated, and with lots of big websites using networked storage anyways, apart from the fact it's shared and thus i/o is restricted somewhat, shouldn't RPS be better?

If i have several RPS' and for arguments sake lets just say I buy 2, can my second RPS access the same storage that my first RPS uses, i.e. acts as a load balancer for a web server? Would it also be possible to use the space the second RPS is allocated to act as a back-up storage, i.e. as If i had a RAID set up?

If i buy Two or more RPS can I have my allocated bandwidth 'shared' between all servers or a specific group of servers? Say I use one as a backup server only, I'd rather share this redundant xTB of bandwidth with my other servers before they reach the limit and get capped at 10Mbps. I know this is unlikely and I actually think the prices for extra bandwidth are rather decent (atleast when I've seen people charge £s for 1GB.. )

RPS1 - How much performance can you get out of it? I'd like to run atleast one L4D server which is what im primarily looking at RPS1 to handle