OVH Community, your new community space.

Get a legit free copy of Windows and install it on your server!

fozl
25-11-2009, 18:06
Best bring the thread to a close now I think.

Using the forum to sell your services is as you can see frowned upon by other forum users, and advertising is not what the forum is intended for on our part.

everwicked
25-11-2009, 17:09
Quote Originally Posted by dima1236
Dear everwicked,
The problem is not with the fact that you ask for money, most of the users here do business on daily basis related to servers and ask for money for our services,hosting etc... ,
but in my personal opinion this forums are meant for something else then just coming here and offer your SERVICES, we all provide some sort of services on OVH networks but do you see us opening threads like this selling servers to non-ovh users?
Dima,

Perhaps I would see you opening threads here advertising/selling your services if this forum was where your target customers are. In other words, this would be a very bad place for you to sell a server - 99.9% of the people who register on these forums ALREADY HAVE a server so you wouldn't sell very many!

On the other hand, I am offering a service that is targeted to people who already have a server and want to install their own copy of windows on them. In other words, the people who need this service are here, hence I let them know, here.

So if you were in my position, perhaps you would offer your services here or perhaps you wouldn't. But whatever the case, and in the nicest way possible: what you would do or would not do does not concern me. We're different people, we think differently, we do differently. Unless I've broken any written, explicit forum rules, we both have to live with that!

NO, but that's what you doing, you are SELLING something that OVH SELL in other way and doing it on THEIR forums and this is rude, like mentioned before if you would ask for donations the responses would be much more positive and more people would donate instead of paying right now and would make you more good.
Regarding your concerns about me being rude towards OVH, I will offer you two points.

First of all, I am offering a service very different to that of OVH. OVH offers you to rent Windows on their terms or add your own SPLA license to their system.
I am offering installing your own Windows OS on your server. I'm sure I don't need to go further into why that's different. Several people have understood that well, asked me for my services, happily paid for it and were happy with the service they received.

Secondly, OVH has several members of staff reading and replying to the forums. And even though I am sure they appreciate your concern, I'm also sure they'd let me know themselves if they wanted.

Let's cease this flaming here - I was enjoying seeing people throw ideas around much more - flaming will get nobody nowhere whilst sooner or later someone else will figure it out if you keep the discussion going.

dima1236
25-11-2009, 16:22
Dear everwicked,
The problem is not with the fact that you ask for money, most of the users here do business on daily basis related to servers and ask for money for our services,hosting etc... ,
but in my personal opinion this forums are meant for something else then just coming here and offer your SERVICES, we all provide some sort of services on OVH networks but do you see us opening threads like this selling servers to non-ovh users? NO, but that's what you doing, you are SELLING something that OVH SELL in other way and doing it on THEIR forums and this is rude, like mentioned before if you would ask for donations the responses would be much more positive and more people would donate instead of paying right now and would make you more good.

Thanks,
Dima.

Quote Originally Posted by everwicked
Thank you Neil, that should cease the flaming.

And thank you to monkey too for an intelligent, civilized reply too.

Once again, thank you for expressing your opinion on what you think I should be doing and how.

Once again, and hopefully for the last time: those people have figured some things out, in their own time and they chose to share it that way. I figured some things out, in my own time, and I chose to share it this way. They had their reasons, I have mine.

Also, to set the record straight, I am not *demanding* anything. Just like the petrol station is not demanding you anything either. If you want petrol, you go buy some and that's the end of it.

everwicked
25-11-2009, 12:06
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
This has been moved to to the other on going thread everwicked
Thank you Neil, that should cease the flaming.

And thank you to monkey too for an intelligent, civilized reply too.

Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
The point is that, on a forum where people like Myatu and Andy (I've not been here very long, so I can't remember everyone's names :P) provide some very in-depth technical and customer support to other OVH customers for free - purely out of the kindness of their heart - it is somewhat rude to come in and start offering commercial services.

There's the guy who created a PHP script to automate the generation of the kickstart file, the one who worked out how to do a custom install over VNC, the one who worked out how to install VMWare with OVH's kernels, everyone who's written up explanations on some of OVH's more... unconventional... ways of doing things. None of them demanded money.

You're the only person who's asked for payment for his work. Asking for donations wouldn't get you this reaction, and I'm sure plenty of people would be perfectly happy to donate. It's just that you've worked out how to do something that a lot of people are interested in how to do and, unlike everyone else who's done the same, are demanding payment for it.
Once again, thank you for expressing your opinion on what you think I should be doing and how.

Once again, and hopefully for the last time: those people have figured some things out, in their own time and they chose to share it that way. I figured some things out, in my own time, and I chose to share it this way. They had their reasons, I have mine.

Also, to set the record straight, I am not *demanding* anything. Just like the petrol station is not demanding you anything either. If you want petrol, you go buy some and that's the end of it.

Neil
25-11-2009, 08:56
This has been moved to to the other on going thread everwicked

freshwire
25-11-2009, 01:51
If you want to advertise your services then go ahead.. but really there is no need for all these new topics.

Razakel
25-11-2009, 01:22
For someone who is accusing me of flaming, you're awfully righteous dima1236. Are you seriously suggesting that I somehow owe to share this information and I'm being rude not to? Please. When you find spend enough time on this to figure it out on the expense of other important things in your life, you can set the polite, be "polite" and tell us all about it.

This thread is about letting everyone know about how to use the trial versions of windows to their advantage. The topic says so clearly. "That" thread is about installing it and there are several pages of suggestions on how to do it yourself.

Please, if you find this thread or any other offending, refrain from reading it or replying to it - it actually takes much less effort.

Thank you.
The point is that, on a forum where people like Myatu and Andy (I've not been here very long, so I can't remember everyone's names :P) provide some very in-depth technical and customer support to other OVH customers for free - purely out of the kindness of their heart - it is somewhat rude to come in and start offering commercial services.

There's the guy who created a PHP script to automate the generation of the kickstart file, the one who worked out how to do a custom install over VNC, the one who worked out how to install VMWare with OVH's kernels, everyone who's written up explanations on some of OVH's more... unconventional... ways of doing things. None of them demanded money.

You're the only person who's asked for payment for his work. Asking for donations wouldn't get you this reaction, and I'm sure plenty of people would be perfectly happy to donate. It's just that you've worked out how to do something that a lot of people are interested in how to do and, unlike everyone else who's done the same, are demanding payment for it.

This thread is about letting everyone know about how to use the trial versions of windows to their advantage. The topic says so clearly. "That" thread is about installing it and there are several pages of suggestions on how to do it yourself.
No. This thread is an excuse to repost your advert in a forum that gets more traffic than the one it was moved to. To pretend otherwise is just insulting to everyone else's intelligence.

everwicked
25-11-2009, 00:47
For someone who is accusing me of flaming, you're awfully righteous dima1236. Are you seriously suggesting that I somehow owe to share this information and I'm being rude not to? Please. When you find spend enough time on this to figure it out on the expense of other important things in your life, you can set the polite, be "polite" and tell us all about it.

Please, if you find this thread or any other offending, refrain from reading it or replying to it - it actually takes much less effort.

Thank you.

dima1236
25-11-2009, 00:35
everwicked,
i think it is rude enough that you don't share the information about how to make this windows thing work ( don't really need it myself but i think a lot of people would like to know how to do that) so now you are flaming too ???

i think you should be banned from this forums, just my 2 cents.

IainK
24-11-2009, 23:36
@everwicked: i think it's safe to say that everyone has read your other post considering the discussion it has become.
Double posting about exactly the same topic is really rather annoying.

everwicked
24-11-2009, 19:58
As some of you may have already read, I reported last week about successfully being able to install Windows on an OVH/Kimsufi server, something that in the past has been a nightmare.

Since then, I did some research on how people could use Windows on their servers for free and here's what I found:

- You can get Server 2008 / 2008 R2 as a trial, for free, for 180 days
- You can get Windows 7 as a trial, for free, for 120 days
- You can install Windows 7 Release Candidate 1 and use it for free until March 1, 2010
- If you are a student, you can get Server 2008 / 2008 R2 for free from DreamSpark.

There are obvious limitations with the trials - after they expire you have to get a new OS or buy a Windows license - but if you only want Windows on your server for less than 6 months, then you're OK.

For £25, I can install any of these OSes on your Server. Needless to say that I can also install any of these OSes with your own key.

If you are interested, please contact me through this form or by e-mail on everwicked (at) yahoo (dot) gr.

For any questions, please check the FAQ first and e-mail me or reply to this thread.

Razakel
23-11-2009, 16:50
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
It will fail on installation and you will receive an email, I will point as well you can install your own Licence however if OVH/ Microsoft / Any other authority finds pirated Windows copy on your server it will be shut down.
Well, the idea was to put a fake SPLA license in just to get into WinRescue and start your own install.

Neil, is there any chance of OVH modifying that "Add an SPLA license" thingy to allow you to input a non-SPLA key?

Neil
23-11-2009, 16:31
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
Well the OVH system doesn't seem to have a problem with an incorrect SPLA key but I have my doubts as to whether or not Windows would install/work with such a key

I might give it a try on my test server and see if Windows will operate, but I have a feeling I would be breaking the T&C by doing so.
It will fail on installation and you will receive an email, I will point as well you can install your own Licence however if OVH/ Microsoft / Any other authority finds pirated Windows copy on your server it will be shut down.

Razakel
22-11-2009, 21:44
Hmm, maybe try booting into a WinPE image using VKVM?

everwicked
22-11-2009, 21:35
Gentlemen, I see you have been busy enterprising - I hope it works for you

I've also kept myself busy also and can now report on having done successful installations on the following systems:

OVH SP-09 SSD - Windows 2008 R2 Standard x64
OVH SP-09 Mini - Windows 2003 Standard x86
Kimsufi C-05G - Windows 2003 Standard x86
Kimsufi C-05G - Windows 2008 Standard x86

I've also created a website where you can order an installation with Paypal and find information on the setup and how to you use the Linux recovery options.

See http://visumalchemia.com/windowsdedicated/

gigabit
22-11-2009, 21:23
Cant get WinRescue to go, says "not allowed". I tried the SPLA licence, and even tried installing windows (and letting it fail) then trying WinRescue again but no luck.

Razakel
22-11-2009, 20:10
Quote Originally Posted by gigabit
Heres something im stuck with - ive done everything down to install.bat, but how do i get this running on the server/VM?
Boot into OVH's winrescue. Then partition your drive and run it from there.

If you need to, set an SPLA license in your OVH manager with the key AAAAA-AAAAA-AAAAA-AAAAA-AAAAA.

gigabit
22-11-2009, 20:08
Heres something im stuck with - ive done everything down to install.bat, but how do i get this running on the server/VM?

gigabit
22-11-2009, 19:54
Sorry yeh, just found that out now after downloading that second link - which i thought was just some more drivers

Razakel
22-11-2009, 19:51
Method 1?
The slipstreaming tool allows you to select the method. Pick the one labelled method 1.

gigabit
22-11-2009, 19:49
- Slipstream using Method 1
Method 1?

AdamD
22-11-2009, 19:22
Do I get £25 if it works? :P
If the method works, I'd be willing to donate £10!

Razakel
22-11-2009, 19:15
Ahh I see never actually installing Windows with the illegitimate SPLA key. Well I don't see how this would negatively affect the T&C as OVH are not supporting such a method.

If I have the time tonight I will work out how to do it and post how I did it.
I've been meaning to try it myself. This is what I reckon is worth trying:

- Setup your partitions and format
- Extract i386 folder from ISO. I got my ISO from DreamSpark. I have the ISOs for Standard on my OVH server - email me (razakel@razakel.co.uk) and I'll give you a link. I'm not going to post it publicly because of obvious piracy concerns.

There's copies floating around - you can either upload your own, torrent it (provided you have a license ) or just grab it from Google (I saw an Iranian FTP server with it).

For Win 2k3 Standard it's called "en_win_srv_2003_r2_standard_with_sp2_cd1_X13-04790.iso".

- Grab chipset, LAN and mass storage packs from http://driverpacks.net/driverpacks/latest
- Get this tool: http://driverpacks.net/applications/...ks-base/8.12.5
- Slipstream using Method 1
- Create or replace winnt.sif in the i386 folder with this content:
;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
AutoPartition=1
UnattendedInstall="Yes"
MsDosInitiated=No

[Unattended]
UnattendMode=FullUnattended
OemSkipEula=Yes
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
OemPreinstall=Yes
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
OemPnpDriversPath="D\C\A1;D\C\A2;D\C\AM2;D\C\AM3;D \C\AM4;D\C\AM5;D\C\AM6;D\C\AM7;D\C\AT;D\C\AU;D\C\D ;D\C\F;D\C\H;D\C\I1;D\C\I2\1;D\C\I2\2;D\C\I2\3;D\C \I2\4;D\C\I3\1;D\C\I3\2;D\C\I3\3;D\C\I4;D\C\I5;D\C \IN;D\C\IT;D\C\N1;D\C\N2;D\C\N3;D\C\N4;D\C\SM;D\C\ T;D\C\V1\2K;D\C\V1\2K3;D\C\V1\XP;D\C\V2;D\L\3A;D\L \3B;D\L\3C;D\L\3D;D\L\3E;D\L\3F;D\L\AC1;D\L\AC2;D\ L\AC4;D\L\AC5;D\L\AC6;D\L\AC7;D\L\AD1;D\L\AD2;D\L\ AG;D\L\AL;D\L\AM1;D\L\AM2;D\L\AM3;D\L\AS1;D\L\AS2; D\L\AS3;D\L\AS4;D\L\AS5;D\L\AS6;D\L\AT1;D\L\AT2;D\ L\AT3;D\L\ATE;D\L\AU;D\L\B1;D\L\B2;D\L\B3;D\L\B4;D \L\BE1;D\L\BF;D\L\BU1;D\L\BU2;D\L\BU3;D\L\C1;D\L\C O1;D\L\CO2;D\L\CO3;D\L\CO5;D\L\D10;D\L\D2;D\L\D3;D \L\D4;D\L\D5;D\L\D6;D\L\D7;D\L\D8;D\L\D9;D\L\DA1;D \L\DA2;D\L\DA3;D\L\HP;D\L\I1;D\L\I2;D\L\IC1;D\L\IC 2;D\L\L1;D\L\L2;D\L\L4;D\L\L5;D\L\L6;D\L\L7;D\L\L8 ;D\L\M;D\L\MI;D\L\MO;D\L\N1;D\L\N10;D\L\N2;D\L\N3; D\L\N4;D\L\N5;D\L\N6;D\L\N7;D\L\N8;D\L\N9;D\L\ND1; D\L\NS1;D\L\NV;D\L\NV3;D\L\NV3\PreNRM\Win2K;D\L\NV 3\PreNRM\WinXP;D\L\NV4;D\L\NV5;D\L\NV5A;D\L\NV6;D\ L\NV6A;D\L\NV7;D\L\NV8;D\L\O1;D\L\O2;D\L\O3;D\L\O4 ;D\L\O5;D\L\O6;D\L\O8;D\L\R1;D\L\R2;D\L\R3;D\L\R4; D\L\SB1;D\L\SB2;D\L\SIL;D\L\SIS;D\L\SIS2;D\L\SM1;D \L\SM2;D\L\SM3;D\L\SM4;D\L\SM6;D\L\SM7;D\L\SM8;D\L \SM9;D\L\SU1;D\L\SU5;D\L\SU7;D\L\SU8;D\L\SU9;D\L\S UC;D\L\U1;D\L\U3;D\L\U4;D\L\U5;D\L\V1;D\L\V2;D\L\V 3;D\L\X1;D\L\X2;D\L\Z;D\M\3;D\M\3B;D\M\3C;D\M\A;D\ M\A2;D\M\A3;D\M\A4;D\M\A5;D\M\A6;D\M\A7;D\M\A8;D\M \AD1;D\M\AD2;D\M\AD3;D\M\AD4;D\M\AD5;D\M\AD6;D\M\A D7;D\M\AD8;D\M\AD9;D\M\ADA;D\M\ADB;D\M\ADC;D\M\AM; D\M\AM1;D\M\AM2;D\M\AM3;D\M\AR;D\M\AT;D\M\AU;D\M\A U2;D\M\AU3;D\M\B;D\M\C;D\M\C1;D\M\C2;D\M\C3;D\M\D; D\M\D1;D\M\E;D\M\H;D\M\H1;D\M\H10;D\M\H1S;D\M\H2;D \M\H3;D\M\H3K;D\M\H3S;D\M\H5;D\M\H6;D\M\H6S;D\M\H7 ;D\M\H7S;D\M\H8;D\M\H9;D\M\H9S;D\M\I1;D\M\I2;D\M\I 3;D\M\I4;D\M\I5;D\M\I6;D\M\IB1;D\M\IB2;D\M\IB3;D\M \IB6;D\M\INI;D\M\IT;D\M\J;D\M\L;D\M\L1;D\M\L10;D\M \L11;D\M\L2;D\M\L3;D\M\L4;D\M\L5;D\M\L6;D\M\L7;D\M \L8;D\M\L9;D\M\M;D\M\M2;D\M\M3;D\M\M4;D\M\NV123;D\ M\NV4;D\M\NV4IN;D\M\NV5;D\M\NV6;D\M\NVTM;D\M\P;D\M \P\K;D\M\P\S;D\M\P1;D\M\P1K;D\M\P1S;D\M\P2;D\M\P2\ K;D\M\P2S;D\M\P3;D\M\P4;D\M\P4K;D\M\P4S;D\M\P5;D\M \P6;D\M\P7;D\M\P8;D\M\P9;D\M\PA;D\M\PAS;D\M\PC;D\M \Q;D\M\Q2;D\M\Q3;D\M\Q4;D\M\S;D\M\S2;D\M\S2A;D\M\S 3;D\M\S4;D\M\S5;D\M\S7;D\M\S7A;D\M\S7B;D\M\S8;D\M\ S9;D\M\SA;D\M\SA2;D\M\SB;D\M\SB2;D\M\SB3;D\M\SB4;D \M\SB5;D\M\SC;D\M\SC2;D\M\SC3;D\M\SC4;D\M\SC5;D\M\ SIS;D\M\SIS1;D\M\SIS2;D\M\SIS3;D\M\V1;D\M\V2;D\M\V 3;D\M\VM"

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword="changeme"
EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
AutoLogon=Yes
AutoLogonCount=1
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=105
OemSkipWelcome=1

[UserData]
ProductKey=AAAAA-AAAAA-AAAAA-AAAAA-AAAAA
FullName="YOURNAME"
OrgName="CHANGEME"
ComputerName=*

[LicenseFilePrintData]
AutoMode=PerServer
AutoUsers=5

[SetupMgr]
DistFolder=C:\windist
DistShare=windist

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=No

[NetAdapters]
Adapter1=params.Adapter1

[params.Adapter1]
INFID=*

[NetClients]
MS_MSClient=params.MS_MSClient

[NetServices]
MS_SERVER=params.MS_SERVER

[NetProtocols]
MS_TCPIP=params.MS_TCPIP

[params.MS_TCPIP]
DNS=No
UseDomainNameDevolution=No
EnableLMHosts=Yes
AdapterSections=params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1

[params.MS_TCPIP.Adapter1]
SpecificTo=Adapter1
DHCP=No
IPAddress=1.2.3.4
SubnetMask=255.255.255.0
DefaultGateway=1.2.3.254
DNSServerSearchOrder=213.186.33.99,208.67.222.222
WINS=No
NetBIOSOptions=0

;
; Edited by DriverPacks BASE 8.12.5
; http://www.driverpacks.net/
;

[GUIRunOnce]
command9="%SystemDrive%\DPsFnshr.exe"
obviously replacing the product key, fullname and orgname values, plus setting IPAddress and DefaultGateway to the OVH settings. Change the admin password too if you want.
- Go back to wherever you put the i386 folder, create a file called install.bat with this content:
set AnswerFile=.\I386\winnt.sif
set SetupFiles=.\I386

.\i386\winnt32 /s:%SetupFiles% /unattend:%AnswerFile% /syspart:C /tempdrive:C /makelocalsource
/makelocalsource is VERY important - it copies all the installation files to disk before starting so as to allow you to install without the CD.

- Run it
- Pray

This worked on a VM I tried it with.

Do I get £25 if it works? :P

IainK
22-11-2009, 17:55
Ahh I see never actually installing Windows with the illegitimate SPLA key. Well I don't see how this would negatively affect the T&C as OVH are not supporting such a method.

If I have the time tonight I will work out how to do it and post how I did it.

Razakel
22-11-2009, 17:50
Well the OVH system doesn't seem to have a problem with an incorrect SPLA key but I have my doubts as to whether or not Windows would install/work with such a key

I might give it a try on my test server and see if Windows will operate, but I have a feeling I would be breaking the T&C by doing so.
Nah, what I'm suggesting is sticking that key in, booting into WinRescue, setting up your partitions, grabbing a zipped unattended install from a server and running it.

IainK
22-11-2009, 17:25

Razakel
22-11-2009, 17:11
It won't start without having an SPLA licence installed - i.e. if you haven't got Windows installed anyway.
What, WinRescue?

What about if you put an invalid SPLA key in, say, just fill the field with 25 As?

everwicked
22-11-2009, 15:57
Has anyone tried going into WinRescue, partitioning the disk, then starting an unattended install? Can't see why that wouldn't work.
It won't start without having an SPLA licence installed - i.e. if you haven't got Windows installed anyway.

Razakel
22-11-2009, 15:08
Has anyone tried going into WinRescue, partitioning the disk, then starting an unattended install? Can't see why that wouldn't work.

Razakel
21-11-2009, 01:40
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
I've got a windows server. Its easy to image from one server to another using the same hardware. I've also slipstreamed the drivers into the unattended install but that isn't enough.
Any idea where it's falling over?

DigitalDaz
21-11-2009, 00:57
I've got a windows server. Its easy to image from one server to another using the same hardware. I've also slipstreamed the drivers into the unattended install but that isn't enough.

Razakel
20-11-2009, 23:36
I'm having a poke around with this.

Does anyone have a Windows server with OVH? I'm just wondering whether drivers are an issue.

DigitalDaz
20-11-2009, 22:03
I'd definitely chuck £25 in the pot!

AdamD
20-11-2009, 20:18
Perhaps we should offer a reward of £25 to someone who figures it out and shares it with the community? I'd be up for donating a few £'s

derchris
19-11-2009, 10:30
Quote Originally Posted by PCDiver
Being an IT consultant I tend to disagree with you.
As a Job, yes.
But as a Forum/Community member, no

PCDiver
19-11-2009, 06:37
Quote Originally Posted by AdamD
Withholding information from the community as a whole just to make a profit, is always wrong in my opinion.
Being an IT consultant I tend to disagree with you.

AdamD
17-11-2009, 17:12
I think people are just annoyed that they've tried to get windows to work and failed in doing so, as a result, they have no choice but to use a VM instance to run windows on their machine or pay the rediculous rental prices from OVH

The only person who claims to have a working solution to said problem, is willing to do it for you, but for a fee.

It's just a shame that people have to charge for something because others can't figure out how to do it.

Withholding information from the community as a whole just to make a profit, is always wrong in my opinion.

everwicked
14-11-2009, 01:28
I've updated the FAQ to answer questions about recovery, RAID, what is required from you, whether I need access to your OVH manager, and some more additions/improvements.

I've also added a section with all the OVH/Kimsufi servers and Windows configurations I've tried this with.

everwicked
10-11-2009, 00:08
Hah, that's interesting. I did check whether there is a reseller scheme for OVH but unfortunately there isn't - only a referral scheme.

I'm not going to justify myself any further, I've already done that too much. I am happy to help other people for free and I do so daily in other places - on this particular occasion, I decided to offer this knowledge as a premium service. People are welcome to take it or leave it, there are several working alternatives and in fact, this thread has added several more

DigitalDaz
09-11-2009, 21:48
The reason I will crack it is because now you claim to have done it, and I believe you, is because you have now revived the topic.

My personal opinion, is that if you had cracked it, you should have set your self up as a reseller or something and kept it to yourself. To come on a group that is primarily here to offer FREE support to others and offer something for money, simply because you're the one to have cracked it first is just bad form. I would also hazard a guess without looking at your posts that at some point you have asked for assistance on here as most of us will have.

I have a solution that suits me just fine for my purposes. I can get away with it on Linux if I really want to, I just have an c# application that runs far better on .net than mono. I have my windows solution but like many others I'm sure, I really want to find a way to do this and give it back to the community.

everwicked
09-11-2009, 09:48
Hm... I like the word "free" too:

Anyone is "free" to read all the "how to install windows on my server" and "why does windows installation fail on my server" threads from the past here and on all the other OVH forums and make up their own minds about how valid your statement is.

Just as much anyone is "free" to take my offer, or leave it, and go for one of the alternative solutions. I've taken the time to document all the ones I know of and there have been several others posted since.

Winit
09-11-2009, 03:28
We support each other for free in this forum. We don't take kindly to those wanting to make a quick buck.

everwicked
09-11-2009, 00:02
Ha ha, funny how in all this time no one in all this time cared to find a solution and now that someone offered to do it for a price, everyone is jumping at it like crazy.

If someone finds as robust a solution as mine, I'll reveal it. All the solutions presented so far have several significant disadvantages and are also likely to fail in some cases.

gigabit
08-11-2009, 22:02
I think i know how it's done ive just got a new kimsufi and I'm going to experiment just now, see if it works.

DigitalDaz
08-11-2009, 19:59
No, I completely agree with the DHCP thing, in fact that was one of my worries.

I can absolutely say though that mine got dished out the correct IP info. I have a few boxes nothing with a raw install on but I'm sure ubuntu boxes at least come with dhcp by default.

The fact that the DHCP server gave me the correct IP address implies that ther are at least some servers operating with the MAC addresses having reservations.

Perhaps someone from OVH could clear this up for us.

everwicked
08-11-2009, 18:42
Believe me, I've done it, and I can redo it that easy that I'm gonna trash it again now to try a much more sophisticated method. A screenshot would prove nothing, I could do a screenshot of the licenced one

I'm sure the answer lies with Barts PE, which I'm gonna look at now
Actually I've got no doubts that cloning an OVH server to another, identical OVH server works.

My doubts are with regards to the few other clones that people here claim to have made and how they are accessible if they are given a random DHCP IP. Thinking about it, your solution would have the same problem

DigitalDaz
08-11-2009, 17:13
Believe me, I've done it, and I can redo it that easy that I'm gonna trash it again now to try a much more sophisticated method. A screenshot would prove nothing, I could do a screenshot of the licenced one

I'm sure the answer lies with Barts PE, which I'm gonna look at now

everwicked
08-11-2009, 17:04
Why would you want a screenshot of an rdp session
So that we can all see for ourselves you guys have actually managed to connect to your own server and not just copy a VM image of Windows on it?

derchris
08-11-2009, 16:56
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
After you mentioned LiveCD, now I'm curious if you can use gPXE to bootstrap Windows at OVH. Hmm...
That and some other stuff would be around the 2nd solution.
But that would require an "installation" server.

Funny though everyone is saying Windows is so much easier to use. But when it comes to remote install it sucks

DigitalDaz
08-11-2009, 16:53
Why would you want a screenshot of an rdp session

everwicked
08-11-2009, 16:33
I'm happy it worked for you guys - how about a screenshot of a Remote Desktop into your newly Windows'd server?

Myatu
08-11-2009, 14:36
After you mentioned LiveCD, now I'm curious if you can use gPXE to bootstrap Windows at OVH. Hmm...

derchris
08-11-2009, 14:14
I tested it with an VMware image with Windows 7 on it (don't have any other version).
Image size is 9 GB, can be shrinked to 3 GB when using ZIP or something.
Then I booted the target server with a LiveCD, did a dd via netcat.
Once that was finished, I rebooted the server and it was booting into windows.

DigitalDaz
08-11-2009, 14:02
wierd, I definitely have my IP by DHCP and the correct one, I was sure they were bound to a MAC address.

In fact, all my linux boxes have all been set to DHCP, I was quite surprised to find the box set to a static.

It has cost me more to get my image but I also now have an image that I can customise and clone at will so the outlay is only once.

I will also find a much cleaner way of doing this, its just finding time.

Years ago I used to crate some pretty big unattended windows builds so I'm sure this wouldn't be that tough a nut to crack.

I wouldn't mind betting we could slipstream all the drivers into one build pretty easily.

If anyone fancies chipping in for a KVM I'm up for it as a way of solving this once and for all. For the whole community to benefit from though

derchris
08-11-2009, 13:26
DHCP will work, but you don't get your IP. A random one out of the pool.
Just tested it on my box.
I think that is how OVH installs new machines. They set them to DHCP, and the IP they get will be their fixed one.

everwicked
08-11-2009, 12:56
I have successfully installed windows the Monkey way Cost me a months licence on a ded but who cares. I would much rather work it out myself and know what's going on than pay someone who just want's to make a few quid because they have a method before anyone else.
First of all, well done.

Secondly, it cost you more than that: a full month's rental on a windows box = the box itself + the windows license. If you did it on a Kimsufi C-05G, then you paid DOUBLE than you would have paid me If you went on anything larger, you will have paid magnitudes more...

Also, this approach has two significant disadvantages:

a) You have to get two identical or almost identical windows servers. For the C-05G that's not a problem but if you wanted to get a bigger box, your bill would be sky high. If you hired two boxes that are not identical then there's no guarantee this would work, and you're welcome to try it.

b) You're limited to the Windows OS that OVH offers and no customization is possible. With my approach, you can even pre-install software, service packs, setup users, DNS/Web Server etc...

This way, you can do whatever your heart desires!

Sure, you could do the same with your methodology but you'd have to do everything remotely and not from your desktop. And at the end of it, you're left with 30 days of an unused server and a lot less money in your pocket than you would have if you paid me to do it

DHCP? Would that work? I didnt think OVH did DHCP, which is why we have our IPs sotred in ifcfg-eth0 etc by default...
DHCP hasn't worked in my tests either, you can only use a static IP if you want connectivity to the external world. I think DHCP will work but it gives you a local IP address, I think that's how vKVM works. So, forget doing a remote desktop to the windows box that way.

But perhaps I did something wrong. DigitalDaz could clarify.

gigabit
08-11-2009, 12:54
DHCP? Would that work? I didnt think OVH did DHCP, which is why we have our IPs sotred in ifcfg-eth0 etc by default...

DigitalDaz
08-11-2009, 12:41
I have successfully installed windows the Monkey way Cost me a months licence on a ded but who cares. I would much rather work it out myself and know what's going on than pay someone who just want's to make a few quid because they have a method before anyone else.

I guess using the cloning way would work on any server. It wasn't time consuming either, took less than a normal windows install would have done.

Briefly, I will expand later, I did this:

Hire two identical servers, one windows one linux, any distro will do

Set your windows box to obtain IP using DHCP. Shrink the partition well down using partitioning tools.

Reboot both boxes into rescue-pro mode

Clone the disk from the source to the target using netcat and dd.

Reboot the linux box.

You now have a working windows install. Change the registration info and key using methods well documented on google.

derchris
08-11-2009, 08:02
I was able to get 1 of my 3 theories to work, at least at home.
But I don't have an OVH box to test it further.
Anyone willing to help?

Andy
07-11-2009, 22:59
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
That is the exact same way I told you a few days ago
So did another friend of mine

freshwire
07-11-2009, 18:47
I thought of a way, but its lengthly and may not work.

1. Get a Windows License from OVH.
2. Install Windows.
3. Make an image of the drive using software available for Windows and Linux.
4. Put it on an other OVH server or your FTP backup.
5. Boot into Linux rescue.
6. Mirror the drive image across.
7. Cancel Windows license.

My theory, whether it would work or not I don't know
That is the exact same way I told you a few days ago

everwicked
07-11-2009, 18:11
Quote Originally Posted by Palad1n
Run Windows, auto setup hardware drivers etc.
Presto....
Kudos for working it out though...
Have you actually tried this? We've heard several "theories" so far, none of which has been validated.

So why can't you do it on Pro/EG/MG Servers?
Is it the drivers or something else?
I never said I can't do it on Pro servers - what gave you this idea?

What I said that it can work on any box so long the drivers are either included with the Windows flavour you're installing or if you know which drivers they are and can include them with the installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tz-OVH
And I just figured since its this much money, it'd be a good idea to hear it was done properly on a PRO box as well

I absolutely suck at linux...got a quick 10 step "how to" on what exactly you'd like done before hand to keep the cost low? What distro, partitions (assuming a totally clean box)...
Like I said, if for any reason I am not able to complete the installation, I will refund your money back to the last penny. What are the specs of this PRO box? Can you give me a link?

As for requirements:

1. Just re-install a Linux OS on the box - Ubuntu 9.04 preferrably (make one partition for / at 5 GB and a swap of any size)
2. when the installation is done and you get the e-mail with the root password, forward it to me.

3. Meanwhile (to keep the cost low), setup a VirtualBox VM for your Windows OS and install it with your CD-Key.
4. When the setup is complete, turn off the VM and upload the VM hard disk image (.vdi) somewhere. If you don't have another server, I can provide an FTP location for you to upload it.
5. Send me the link!

That's all really - once I have the VDI and the e-mail with the box's IP and root password, I can get started.

Tz-OVH
07-11-2009, 17:48
Thank you for the kudos and also for pointing out that you can't PM users here. I've modified my settings to allow you to send me e-mail (click on my username and choose send e-mail) - the address is everwicked AT yahoo DOT gr.

Re your requirements:

- What exactly do you want OVH to confirm? Back when I was first trying to do this I had called them to ask whether I can install my own copy of Windows and how... They told me that it's extremely hard if impossible and that only one user had managed to do it without other users being able to replicate their results (they're talking about this thread by the way). They also told about the ability to add your own license and install Windows through the manager IF you have an SPLA licence. I asked whether MSDN keys offer that and they didn't know but didn't tell me it was not allowed either.

Having said all that, it's your server so feel free to check with OVH again

- I consider the price reasonable, especially considering the extra monthly fee for a Windows server. If you can install your copy of R2 on a VM and give me that it is going to be much lower than if you give me the key and I have to do it myself. Up to you of course. You can e-mail me and we can discuss this there.

- My MSDN WS 2008 (R1) key worked just fine so I don't see why not

- I don't have the capability to test it with PRO servers but I don't see why it wouldn't. R2 has the latest drivers on it and AFAIK OVH doesn't use any exotic hardware (not in the bad sense anyway). In any case, if I can't deliver, I'll refund your money.

Note that you'll need to backup your data for this. I will need root access to a Linux installation to do it - now, you're welcome to resize your existing installation and I can work with that but I can't guarantee that something will go wrong and your data will go "poof"
Reason I asked about OVH letting users do this is that they might have some agreement with MS preventing it.

And I just figured since its this much money, it'd be a good idea to hear it was done properly on a PRO box as well

I absolutely suck at linux...got a quick 10 step "how to" on what exactly you'd like done before hand to keep the cost low? What distro, partitions (assuming a totally clean box)...

Palad1n
07-11-2009, 17:15
Hi,

Acronis Software....

On an existing Linux Install, Install Acronis.
Take a VM HDD and recover it to the local Server HDD via Network
Adjust partitions.
Setup multi-boot, GRUB etc.
Run Windows, auto setup hardware drivers etc.
Presto....
Kudos for working it out though...

So why can't you do it on Pro/EG/MG Servers?
Is it the drivers or something else?

everwicked
07-11-2009, 16:48
Quote Originally Posted by NickW
How much do you charge for this? As a student I can legitimately get Windows Server OS's for free through DreamSpark, so I may be interested .
If you can supply a VM hard disk with the windows installation that you want, then it'll be £25 - that's less than paying one month of Windows licence.

If not, it'll be more as it needs considerably more work on my part - either way, you can e-mail me to discuss.

Aye, Andy. It's quicker (or at least cheaper) to use a VM.

A rough outline: You can use something like XEN, Qemu or VMWare to install Windows inside a VM. You should also make sure that the drivers for RAID and the NICs are accessible. Once setup, shut down the VM, convert the virtual disk image into a raw image (Proxmox 1.4 support raw images by default). Then use "dd" to copy the raw image to an available, unmounted partition (ie /dev/sdb). Finally, change Grub (or Lilo) to select this partition by default, Windows will detect the hardware changes (for the NIC, etc) and you're golden. So you have Windows, plus a Linux rescue on the first partition, should things not go according to plan. It's similar to the OpenSolaris instructions I have on my website.

You can even do this with a "VM within a VM" setup, so you can test this to your heart's content before you actually do this on the actual server.
This will work for a VM inside a VM or between VMs. In my own tests, it does not work when moving the VM image to an OVH server. Of course, feel free to prove me wrong

Myatu
07-11-2009, 16:30
Aye, Andy. It's quicker (or at least cheaper) to use a VM.

A rough outline: You can use something like XEN, Qemu or VMWare to install Windows inside a VM. You should also make sure that the drivers for RAID and the NICs are accessible. Once setup, shut down the VM, convert the virtual disk image into a raw image (Proxmox 1.4 support raw images by default). Then use "dd" to copy the raw image to an available, unmounted partition (ie /dev/sdb). Finally, change Grub (or Lilo) to select this partition by default, Windows will detect the hardware changes (for the NIC, etc) and you're golden. So you have Windows, plus a Linux rescue on the first partition, should things not go according to plan. It's similar to the OpenSolaris instructions I have on my website.

You can even do this with a "VM within a VM" setup, so you can test this to your heart's content before you actually do this on the actual server.

Andy
07-11-2009, 16:08
I thought of a way, but its lengthly and may not work.

1. Get a Windows License from OVH.
2. Install Windows.
3. Make an image of the drive using software available for Windows and Linux.
4. Put it on an other OVH server or your FTP backup.
5. Boot into Linux rescue.
6. Mirror the drive image across.
7. Cancel Windows license.

My theory, whether it would work or not I don't know

NickW
07-11-2009, 15:28
How much do you charge for this? As a student I can legitimately get Windows Server OS's for free through DreamSpark, so I may be interested .

everwicked
07-11-2009, 14:38
Well, if it doesn't require a VM, kudos to you for figuring it out. I might take the leap depending on a few things

*OVH saying its ok with them
*The price not being insane
*Will my MSDN Win2008 R2 key work :P
*Test it out on PRO servers as well

Also, you haven't given us a way to contact you, iirc PM's are disabled on the forum.
Thank you for the kudos and also for pointing out that you can't PM users here. I've modified my settings to allow you to send me e-mail (click on my username and choose send e-mail) - the address is everwicked AT yahoo DOT gr.

Re your requirements:

- What exactly do you want OVH to confirm? Back when I was first trying to do this I had called them to ask whether I can install my own copy of Windows and how... They told me that it's extremely hard if impossible and that only one user had managed to do it without other users being able to replicate their results (they're talking about this thread by the way). They also told about the ability to add your own license and install Windows through the manager IF you have an SPLA licence. I asked whether MSDN keys offer that and they didn't know but didn't tell me it was not allowed either.

Having said all that, it's your server so feel free to check with OVH again

- I consider the price reasonable, especially considering the extra monthly fee for a Windows server. If you can install your copy of R2 on a VM and give me that it is going to be much lower than if you give me the key and I have to do it myself. Up to you of course. You can e-mail me and we can discuss this there.

- My MSDN WS 2008 (R1) key worked just fine so I don't see why not

- I don't have the capability to test it with PRO servers but I don't see why it wouldn't. R2 has the latest drivers on it and AFAIK OVH doesn't use any exotic hardware (not in the bad sense anyway). In any case, if I can't deliver, I'll refund your money.

Note that you'll need to backup your data for this. I will need root access to a Linux installation to do it - now, you're welcome to resize your existing installation and I can work with that but I can't guarantee that something will go wrong and your data will go "poof"

Tz-OVH
07-11-2009, 12:24
Well, if it doesn't require a VM, kudos to you for figuring it out. I might take the leap depending on a few things

*OVH saying its ok with them
*The price not being insane
*Will my MSDN Win2008 R2 key work :P
*Test it out on PRO servers as well

Also, you haven't given us a way to contact you, iirc PM's are disabled on the forum.

everwicked
07-11-2009, 11:25
Quote Originally Posted by derchris
No, I don't think we understand that you have to charge for such stuff.
I'm not using W2K myself, but have a solution in mind which I'm going to try.
Once I can confirm this is working I will post back.
I look forward to it!

derchris
07-11-2009, 11:22
No, I don't think we understand that you have to charge for such stuff.
I'm not using W2K myself, but have a solution in mind which I'm going to try.
Once I can confirm this is working I will post back.

everwicked
07-11-2009, 10:43
Quote Originally Posted by bago
AFAIK windows license does not allow you to install the OS on a machine that you rent. The license have to be bought by the owner of the hardware. So I think that your requirement is clueless, unless you only install them for OVH licensed windows and not customer licensed windows.
I cannot check what type of license people have and frankly, it's not my job to do so. I'm merely stating that I won't be installing copies of windows with a clearly pirated key. I have taken your comment into account though and check my original post to talk about "keys" instead of "licenses".

Are you simply running Windows in a VM of linux?

*Edit: I remember reading here that you can point your failover IP to the OS running in your VM
I think you're right, you could assign a secondary IP to a VM in Linux.

Look at the device manager screenshot - the system is running on real, not virtualized hardware (hard disk and NIC).

Re the spam comments:

For the last time, I replied to old threads relating to this particular issue that *I* had found *and* subscribed to while looking for a solution. Nothing spamful about it - this is what forums are for - disseminating information.

Re the why not just tell us comments:

Like I said in my original post, I spent two whole weeks figuring this out. I'm sure you can understand that's a considerable investment of time and money - I have a thesis to be writing. It's not like I'm charging the stars for it anyway.

Winit
07-11-2009, 07:48
Lame spamming other threads just to get traffic. Bahnhammer

Tz-OVH
06-11-2009, 21:20
Have to wait and see if OVH will let this be done as well.

Razakel
06-11-2009, 21:16
It'd be nicer if you just told us how to do it, or at least gave us some clues.

I'm guessing it's something to do with unattended installation.

Tz-OVH
06-11-2009, 21:08
Are you simply running Windows in a VM of linux?

*Edit: I remember reading here that you can point your failover IP to the OS running in your VM

bago
06-11-2009, 20:45
THIS OFFER APPLIES ONLY TO PEOPLE WITH VALID WINDOWS LICENSES - I WILL NOT INSTALL WINDOWS WITH PIRATED KEYS
AFAIK windows license does not allow you to install the OS on a machine that you rent. The license have to be bought by the owner of the hardware. So I think that your requirement is clueless, unless you only install them for OVH licensed windows and not customer licensed windows.

DedicatedPros
06-11-2009, 20:08
This is a very lucrative offer, though I'd like to know more before I act on this. Please email me at admin [at] dedicatedpros.com with a quote

jonlewi5
06-11-2009, 19:57
Why not just give info to those who want to do this rather than charge for it, thats not cricket really.

I knew there was a reason why i prefered the open source community...

everwicked
06-11-2009, 19:47
That was cool until the word "fee". But hey as long as that fee is less than paying OVH for windows - why not!

If you PM me what OS you'd like to install, if you'd be providing just the key or the VM HD and whether you require any customization (and if so, what), I can let you know a price sometime tomorrow.

Dude, a single post would have sufficed. No need to raise month-old topics from the dead, especially when asking for money. That puts you in the spammers league.
I don't expect people that were looking to install Windows on their server months ago to still be cruising the OVH forums for someone to pop-up with a solution. The way I see it, I did a courtesy to the people who have subscribed to those threads, like I had before I found this solution. I'm sorry if you regard this as spam.

Myatu
06-11-2009, 19:44
Dude, a single post would have sufficed. No need to raise month-old topics from the dead, especially when asking for money. That puts you in the spammers league.

gigabit
06-11-2009, 19:21
That was cool until the word "fee". But hey as long as that fee is less than paying OVH for windows - why not!

everwicked
06-11-2009, 19:18
After two weeks of getting nowhere with installing Windows on my Kimsufi Server, I have finally cracked it!

Yes, there is a way to install ANY flavor of Windows on your dedicated server.

Here's the proof:

I have now created a website about this, check it out:

Windows Remote Installation Services

Frequenty Asked Questions

In a nutshell:
- It does not involve any virtualization or running from Linux - the server runs on the native hardware. KVM over IP/vKVM is not required either.

- It works on any hardware configuration - see the ones I have already tried here

- I am able to offer the installation as a premium service for a small fee - pricing here.

- A rescue option is available through leaving a small Linux partition you can Netboot to boot into and use recovery utilities. More info here.

- I do NOT need access to your OVH manager or your NIC handle. Setups are installed usually within 24-48 hours.

Get in touch
Click on my username and e-mail me or directly e-mail me at everwicked AT yahoo DOT gr or visit http://visumalchemia.com/windowsdedicated/

Any questions, please let me know!

everwicked