OVH Community, your new community space.

Microsoft WebSiteSpark programme SPLA

Nuend0
31-01-2010, 12:42
just away to start it goin - well once iis is finished exporting to site package & i've upped it to ftp - will post back my results

**EDIT**

Installed no problems & have now got everything restored & working from backups with a big performance improvement over running from within a proxmox VM.

YouWhat
31-01-2010, 02:01
Nuend0

did you have any luck with your installation?

Nuend0
31-01-2010, 01:59
looks like it's that particular resellers terms of contract - best look for another

ictdude
30-01-2010, 23:53
Quote Originally Posted by Nuend0
There's no mention of that at all in the agreement I sent back to a reseller last week - mbe that's the case if the agreement is direct with MS
Mmh i got that information from a MS reseller. He told me i have to buy 10 of those incidents !? Its a Dutch reseller... Thats strange.

Nuend0
30-01-2010, 10:37
Thanx YouWhat - just wanted someone else to have an opinion since I'm installing over the weekend if anything goes wrong I don't hold out much hope for it gettin looked at till Monday.

Runnin it thru Proxmox just now so it'll be a full install required this time.

YouWhat
30-01-2010, 00:08
Yes the key is right 1, and the only thing you need to do, is to iadd the key to the windows licenses and just leave it there till you come to use it.

You should have something pop up under the options like in pic I did in previous post (bottom of page 2), just tick the box and then install away.

Or if you already have Windows server 2008 R2 Standard installed (I say that because from what you posted, it seems to be your choice) you can do the following;

click start button, to open the menu

right click on "Computer" and select Properties

Now at bottom of the System page that you should be on, is change product key link, just click on that, input your new key into there and activate.

hope that answers your questions

Rob

Nuend0
29-01-2010, 23:54
just got my SPLA email registration from MS (yes it came thu @ 23:32 GMT).
Since my reseller is now closed until Monday (well the phone message says so) I can't ask for advice so I'm asking you kind souls for some help

I've got the pages of keys in the licencing center and hope i'm correct in thinking I should use the key listed as Windows Server 2008R2 Std/Ent - MAK B (SPLA) - I've got it validated in the manager anyway ready to go on Sunday to give users some advanced warning that their sites/email will be down & time to backup properly.

so my question is........ Is that the right key to use for a non-outsourcer single processor SPLA 2008R2 STD agreement & is that all I have to do before reinstalling?

anything else you can think of that I've missed would be great.

Cheers

everwicked
29-01-2010, 18:01
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
But when the server boots are, we check the key then, so using 'any' key will work there, but your server will not boot up.
Of course I was merely pointing out it won't work just because it didn't failed when being added to the manager...

Neil
29-01-2010, 17:23
Quote Originally Posted by everwicked
Just adding the key has no effect, the key is not even checked!! You can add AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC-DDDDD-EEEEe for all it cares...
But when the server boots are, we check the key then, so using 'any' key will work there, but your server will not boot up.

YouWhat
29-01-2010, 17:19
This is with changing the key through the System applet in Control Panel after performing a clean install from 1 of the OVH Server 2008 R2 - Standard Edition, but yes the time when I had the Blue Screen Of Death (the other day when I emailed you about the backup problem I was having), earlier that day 4am in morning, yes it did install and work no problem, exactly the same as if it was a Licensed copy from OVH themselves, but here is your unquestionable proof for you all. It blue screened because of driver issues, namely Eset Security Suites Firewall and miniport drivers that it tries to load in. The firewall gets started, you get booted from server and left with no way to connect back up to it except in rescue pro, which I havent got a clue as yet how to use. So took the other route of reinstalling, only to find it wouldnt take my key!!

everwicked
29-01-2010, 16:35
So did it actually work for you or not??

YouWhat
29-01-2010, 16:07
Ok for those who keep asking whether your own SPLA license will work...

==================================================

==================================================

As you all can see and prob guess, the boxed out bits are my own SPLA key,
but for all of those who wondered if it was possible, now you have your answer.

(Neil this is what I had l earlier in the week for the license which I was
initially able to install it before I began playing about and got the imfamous
BSOD, which at this point it then refused to do anything so complete reinstall
was needed and that as you know was a failed attempt. I have also now
worked out why and what caused it not to reinstall after the BSOD also)

Any 1 would like some help with this, then feel free to contact me, but be warned

I WILL NOT HELP ANYBODY USE ILLEGAL KEYS,
CRACKS AND PATCHES, OR BREAKS THE TOS AND ANY LICENSE,
ONLY GENUINE SPLA KEYS I WILL HELP WITH.

everwicked
28-01-2010, 17:37
Quote Originally Posted by Darren
well I just registered and was able to assign the licence key as an spla key within the manager - haven't actually clicked the install but it allcoates the licence.
I did sign up for the spla essentials and the microsoft partner programme without cost - but not sure that effetd the type of key that was allocated by microsoft, presume not.
Just adding the key has no effect, the key is not even checked!! You can add AAAAA-BBBBB-CCCCC-DDDDD-EEEEe for all it cares...

Darren
28-01-2010, 17:14
well I just registered and was able to assign the licence key as an spla key within the manager - haven't actually clicked the install but it allcoates the licence.
I did sign up for the spla essentials and the microsoft partner programme without cost - but not sure that effetd the type of key that was allocated by microsoft, presume not.

IainK
26-01-2010, 12:40
You don't get an SPLA arrangement directly with M$ unless you have a lot of servers to license. Use a reseller.

Nuend0
25-01-2010, 11:47
Quote Originally Posted by ictdude
With SPLA you also need to buy 10 prepaid incidents from Microsoft.
There's no mention of that at all in the agreement I sent back to a reseller last week - mbe that's the case if the agreement is direct with MS

ictdude
25-01-2010, 01:29
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
Signing up now. I'll post an update when i've tried it.
Update: well i'll post an update in 3 days or so when a Microsoft contact approves my account.

Update [14/01/2009 13:57]: Well I was under the impression that the WebsiteSpark SPLA license was free however after getting access to WebsiteSpark and starting enrollment for SPLA essentials it states monthly payments... From what I can see though the WebsiteSpark SPLA licenses are standard unauthenticated SPLA licenses. I see no reason that it wouldn't work.
With SPLA you also need to buy 10 prepaid incidents from Microsoft.
And its not cheap $ 5000,- real stupid told the Microsoft distribution for SPLA what if you are a MCSA or MCSA MCP ? Then you are certified to fix your own problems. Still must buy 10 prepaid incidents !? For me no SPLA crazy dollars ..

everwicked
20-01-2010, 07:06
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
Update: well i'll post an update in 3 days or so when a Microsoft contact approves my account.

Update [14/01/2009 13:57]: Well I was under the impression that the WebsiteSpark SPLA license was free however after getting access to WebsiteSpark and starting enrollment for SPLA essentials it states monthly payments... From what I can see though the WebsiteSpark SPLA licenses are standard unauthenticated SPLA licenses. I see no reason that it wouldn't work.
Monthly payments for what? The front page only states $100 free after the end of 3 years.

Nuend0
14-01-2010, 19:15
ok i'll have a look around - not sure whether to go for this (pricing shows $10 p/m for 2008 web) or just try and find the £12 p/m for standard mentioned above. If you're willing a pm of where you got this would be greatly appreciated
Found a few SPLA resellers who'll give me it for £12 p/m but only if I host with them & up to £50 p/m if hosted elsewhere - what a rip....

**EDIT**

ok found a few that'll do it for £12 + change p/m per processor - looking at their explanations I'm not sure I need a processor licence as my setup is aprox 90% web hosting, 7.5% email hosting (not on exchange), 2.5% file hosting with only 2 users authenticating with Windows accounts for anything (pretty much only ever remote desktop) but I could easily tell my m8 that he can't have access to the desktop (since he's dropped his payments to cover his hosting only since changing job & loosing his flatmate), so I wonder if I would be right in thinking that a user licence is all I need for now?

any pointers would be greatly appreciated since the 2 reseller companies I spoke to on the phone were trying to say I needed an outsourcer SPLA processor licence @ over £50 p/m but getting conflicting advice from others I've only contacted by email (with the docs they sent back), seem to make me think that I only need a user licence - at the very most a non-outsourcer processor licence

**update**
found a reseler - just waiting on a Dun & Bradstreat number for my company before I can setup the agreement

IainK
13-01-2010, 17:37

Nuend0
13-01-2010, 12:52
anyone had any luck getting a WebsiteSpark SPLA licence working via the manager?

using proxmox just now but the licence in use is starting to be needed locally & I REALLY don't want to shell out for another 1

just noticed also that it's Web R2 licences that you get from WebsiteSpark - guess i'd just have to live with it if someone can please confirm they work

IainK
05-01-2010, 13:41
Can I just say I'm getting SPLA licenses on Windows Server 2008 at £12/month for Standard Edition 1 CPU. That's for 1 physical CPU doesn't matter about the cores. So shop about if you are serious about SPLA.

marks
05-01-2010, 12:09
we do accept SPLA license for your Windows server, so give it a go. But I'm not sure if this WebsiteSpark license is a fully working SPLA license.

everwicked
05-01-2010, 11:01
I guess you have only but to try it... I think DigitalDaz was referring to installing Windows himself on the server with the WebsiteSpark key so I don't think he'd be any help to you.

Give it a shot, you never know. If it doesn't work, look at my signature

Darren
05-01-2010, 08:19
It does state that " If self-hosting, each Web Pro firm will be entitled to four processor production licenses each (requires enrollment in SPLA Essentials)"
So was hoping you would be able to use the ovh SPLA option for loading windows.

everwicked
04-01-2010, 21:45
I doubt that the WebsiteSpark licenses are actually SPLA licenses - from what I understand SPLA licenses are only given to service providers like OVH who want to use multiple copies of Windows on a monthly basis each.

gigabit
04-01-2010, 21:09
The point was using those licences in the OVH installer, so that there was no hard part.

Winit
04-01-2010, 21:05
The key will work. The "hard" part is getting Windows onto the server.

Darren
04-01-2010, 13:33
Did you ever get this onto one of the ovh boxes? interested if this type of key works?

DigitalDaz
30-11-2009, 18:19
I doubt it very much but now that I have been accepted and got my login details thanks to the link you kindly provided, I'm sure I will get it one one of my boxes

Darren
30-11-2009, 13:13
Wondered if anyone was using a WebSiteSpark SPLA licence within ovh ie does that work with the manager loading on the operating system as a SPLA licence?
details at http://www.microsoft.com/web/websitespark/