OVH Community, your new community space.

'New' Kimsufi C-05g & RPS Finally have £49.99 + VAT (15% NOW, 17.5% in January)

Neil
08-01-2010, 17:31
Hi

There is no need to remove the posts and no need to edit, just keep it on track. We are/try to be a transparent company so just be nice.

CAPE
08-01-2010, 17:20
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Hi

Can we please keep this about the setup fee and not about support for the 'underground' french webhost. If you want support then you need to contact them about reconfiguring the OS.
Sorry Neil I didn't meant to disrespect OVH in any way and I have edit my post above.

everwicked
08-01-2010, 17:15
Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpeeds
Do me a favour Neil, delete this post please? I would if I could..

I think it has went off what my original point was (although I am to blame too), and as s0phie said my point has been made clear - that's all I ever wanted, and it's been the biggest post ovh forums has ever had, so guess it's served it's purpose.
I'll agree that it's gone off point a little but I'd rather it stayed here - maybe lock it instead?

RapidSpeeds
08-01-2010, 17:11
Do me a favour Neil, delete this post please? I would if I could..

I think it has went off what my original point was (although I am to blame too), and as s0phie said my point has been made clear - that's all I ever wanted, and it's been the biggest post ovh forums has ever had, so guess it's served it's purpose.

Neil
08-01-2010, 17:00
Hi

Can we please keep this about the setup fee and not about support for the 'underground' french webhost. If you want support then you need to contact them about reconfiguring the OS.

CAPE
08-01-2010, 16:36
Quote Originally Posted by gigabit
They accepted my UK address, they have a list of all countries - its just "UK" is hard to find...
They accepted my UK adress aswell.

It's really sad that OVH refuse to remove the set up fees and another thing I don't like is the bandwith limit but there is nothing to do then respect the way OVH do their thing.

RapidSpeeds
08-01-2010, 11:22
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
Well, their network is primarily Cogent, isn't it?
Yeah, they piggy back on Cogent as opposed to owning their own network like OVH does.

Razakel
07-01-2010, 12:11
Well, their network is primarily Cogent, isn't it?

RapidSpeeds
06-01-2010, 22:11
I have two clients with them, better speeds to USA/AU/Asia - about 1.5Mbps less to Europe though (which sucks I guess).

All it took was, Bank Transfer (2days) - Server released the very next day.

Not to rub it in guys, but should have paid attention when you were in French And if people who I respect can't order, yay for me! means I can resell my lil ass off for people who need a no setup fee alternative :P

slayer2005
06-01-2010, 19:52
They accepted my UK address, they have a list of all countries - its just "UK" is hard to find...

I tried to order to test 1 but it hurt my head so i stopped lol

gigabit
06-01-2010, 19:37

antdgar
06-01-2010, 19:31
I was told you need a French address to order from the underground place.

CAPE
06-01-2010, 11:00
Anyone tried to order from that underground place? And if you did how long did it take to get the server up and running?

Thanks

everwicked
04-01-2010, 16:10
So it's Twitter?
Ahahahaha! Made my day man, thanks!

Busby
04-01-2010, 14:46
Thanks Oles..

I have sent a reminder this morning - no reply as yet, buffer continues

oles@ovh.net
04-01-2010, 14:36
> Ticket No. 324814
>
> Server IP's:
>
> 213.186.57.52
>
> 91.121.143.17

I check

yonatan
04-01-2010, 11:06
Quote Originally Posted by BELLonline
I'm not trolling, I'm just bringing to your attention that people I know have had problems with support, having to submit traceroutes and other info multiple times before anyone takes any notice. I've had the same myself, and with hardware problems. I've had to cancel about 10 servers over the time I've been with you because of hardware problems that never get resolved - just to have to sign up for a new one that works - do you ever wonder why there's such a high turnover of servers?

I've recommended OVH to a lot of people (and even now you have the excessive setup fee, if someone asks I'll mention you).

If you don't want us to let you know about these problems so that you can resolve them then that's your problem, not mine. Maybe you shouldn't have a public forum.

I do still maintain that OVH is good for the price.

You have made a new dictionary edition for the word: bull****
and i quote:

"I've had to cancel about 10 servers over the time I've been with you because of hardware problems that never get resolved - just to have to sign up for a new one that works - do you ever wonder why there's such a high turnover of servers?"

MY personal experience -

Connection Problem ( NIC RX/TX errors ) - network cable was replaced , took them 12 hours - fixed
overheating i7 cpu - replaced cooling ( took 4 hours from ticket ) - fixed
overheating eg xeon - replaced cooling ( took 4 hours ) - problem did not go away - 20 hours later CPU was replaced. - fixed
bad hard drive (kimsufi I/O errors) - 25 Minutes disk was replaced. - fixed

Quite simple

hardware problem?

- rescue-pro
- scan get logs
- open ticket
- send logs
- add a small personal note and idea of the problem
- wait a bit - DO NOT NUDGE on the ticket (bump/troll).
- pick up the phone , tell them the ticket number + server ns/ks - they look into it for you.
- issue resolved.

Thanks for making the turnover so large for all of us, because of these kind of actions we hear the term "backlog" a lot when ordering..., next time you get crappy hardware - DEAL WITH IT , GET IT FIXED - They WILL give you the downtime back in server time if the problem is genuine.

Razakel
04-01-2010, 10:21
quick, pointless and frequents statements
So it's Twitter?

slayer2005
04-01-2010, 01:19
Oles isn't making a personal attack, chill out people.

First search on google:

TrollBabyTroll is a free service that lets you micro-troll internets users, politicians, celebrities, trolls and even yourself, through the exchange of quick, pointless and frequents statements. Trolling is Serious Business. TROLL NOW!

That's all he means, calm down people
http://alesrarus.funkydung.com/images/troll.jpg

RapidSpeeds
04-01-2010, 01:05
Oles isn't making a personal attack, chill out people.

First search on google:

TrollBabyTroll is a free service that lets you micro-troll internets users, politicians, celebrities, trolls and even yourself, through the exchange of quick, pointless and frequents statements. Trolling is Serious Business. TROLL NOW!

That's all he means, calm down people

unclebob
04-01-2010, 00:10
I thought he posted by emailing his posts, it's what it always looked like with replies etc, and why they get duplicated 3 times when he posts something new etc - just a thought.
Yeah, I had always assumed it was some email/newsgroups interface.

gigabit
03-01-2010, 21:51
I thought he posted by emailing his posts, it's what it always looked like with replies etc, and why they get duplicated 3 times when he posts something new etc - just a thought.

dansgalaxy
03-01-2010, 21:28
This really bugs me every time I see a post by Oles.

Firstly why does the director of the company post as guest? Why not have a proper user account.

Also why is it he isn't fluent in English? I'm sorry but I have to admit I find it incredibly unprofessional that the main man behind a company as big as OVH which works mainly in French and English can barely form sentences in English, is it just me who if I was in that position would do something about learning a language which probably quite a lot of my business gets its money from, and no doubt one of the bigger European markets?

... Perhaps I shouldn't comment. He might have me deleted for "Trolling"

BELLonline
03-01-2010, 19:21
Quote Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net

the problem is that you "troll". you talk about the "stories" with any
facts, any basical informations. no information. except the "trolls".
I'm not trolling, I'm just bringing to your attention that people I know have had problems with support, having to submit traceroutes and other info multiple times before anyone takes any notice. I've had the same myself, and with hardware problems. I've had to cancel about 10 servers over the time I've been with you because of hardware problems that never get resolved - just to have to sign up for a new one that works - do you ever wonder why there's such a high turnover of servers?

I've recommended OVH to a lot of people (and even now you have the excessive setup fee, if someone asks I'll mention you).

If you don't want us to let you know about these problems so that you can resolve them then that's your problem, not mine. Maybe you shouldn't have a public forum.

I do still maintain that OVH is good for the price.

tallen
03-01-2010, 18:44
Everyone says "OVH is so cheap".. But it's actually not. There is another French provider offering dedicated servers for almost half that of OVH, with no setup fees and they are reputable. (but minimum duration of 3 months)

Most of the support I have recieved at OVH has been excellent. Even getting replies on New Years eve within a hour or so of asking. Servers have all performed well, except for a few faults.

The only issues I have with OVH are:

Setup Fee (Main problem, people wanting to start servers simply cannot afford to come up with all the money at once for a year when it's just a hobby/small business)

Doesn't allow installation of Windows versions with other licencing which is VERY annoying. It's so easy OVH to host these, look how many Ubuntu distros you host! I have contacted Microsoft Technet and they said it's perfectly fine for OVH to preinstall these images (Doesn't have to be SPLA!!!!!)

Hardware and support is fantastic! I can't complain about that!

I hope OVH listens to the customers' ideas, as it is neglecting a big bit of the market to say "Anyone who doesn't want to pay setup fees isn't professional". Most are for Personal use, little websites, games servers, VPN etc. Going straight for the annual package is a lot to pay upfront! OVH's unique selling point was you could buy for a month test the server, realise it is very good! Then continue to use it.
I'm sure OVH are loosing out business because of the setup fees and I hope you will change your decision, however I would still like to thank you for the great support and servers. With your new datacentre, wouldn't it be nice to fill it all up with customer servers? Just remove the setup fees. The whole argument that cheap servers are used for fraud is stupid, spam and other types of abuse are usually carried out on hacked servers.

Also it would be nice if you hired a translator. And calling him a troll is ridiculous when he is a customer, he's paying good money for your services and you call him a troll?
- troll baby troll but don't except anything from ovh
This would be a good response on say 4chan, but from a director, it's VERY unprofessional!

Busby
03-01-2010, 18:26
Hello Oles..

Thanks for taking an interest in this, on my part it means a lot to me that you read these forums...

Ticket No. 324814

Server IP's:

Streams have been buffering since 23rd December, stream quality 192/256Kbs - all the detail is in the ticket..

turbanator
03-01-2010, 18:18
Yeah, I think it's because servers at ovh are so cheap that anyone will get one - even those that aren't able to manage a server properly. That will inevitably lead to loads of support requests for stupid things, meaning that more staff are needed and they will be trained less.

Still, there should be a separate department for network issues so that you can submit a ticket directly to someone that knows what they're doing rather than having to spend days/weeks trying to convince someone that there is a genuine problem.

Still, if the support isn't that good then it's best for people to make it clear so that the management can look in to ways of improving it.
show me a place were u can get 10TB BW to internet downloading is free, and internal is free..1Gbps connection..1.5TB hard drive 8GB ram..for 70 pounds per month exclusive of VAT with PREMIUM support. Where it means the staff are well trained, emails are responded within 1-2 hours..technical faults, server replacements are done immediately.

as much as i despise ovh support..when my server got renewed..it had 210GB to internet showing up in ovh manager on day 1 without having installed anything on the server..a ticket to them basically telling me to frick off..the cheapness of this server..keeps me going..

i just pray that nothing major happens..and i don't have to end up getting another server with set up fees..but this ishow ovh will forever operate..if they ever decide to move to US prices will be considerably higher and support has to be top notch else they can forget north america

oles@ovh.net
03-01-2010, 18:08
BELLonline a écrit:
>
> Yeah, I think it's because servers at ovh are so cheap that anyone will
> get one - even those that aren't able to manage a server properly. That
> will inevitably lead to loads of support requests for stupid things,
> meaning that more staff are needed and they will be trained less.
>
> Still, there should be a separate department for network issues so that
> you can submit a ticket directly to someone that knows what they're
> doing rather than having to spend days/weeks trying to convince someone
> that there is a genuine problem.
>
> Still, if the support isn't that good then it's best for people to make
> it clear so that the management can look in to ways of improving it.

the support works fine.

the problem is that you "troll". you talk about the "stories" with any
facts, any basical informations. no information. except the "trolls".

what are the basical informations ?
3 things:
- ticket #
- server's ip
- 3 lines "description".

look thin thread: noone gave this "basic" information and you except
ovh does something ? what do you think we can do with a troll ? nothing.

so:
- troll baby troll but don't except anything from ovh
- send the "basic" informations and I can start my internal job.

I had the same problem with forum.ovh.pl. it took me 3 days to
explain "what is the basic informations". I removed 1 user who
loved "troll" and now I think it's on the road ...

facts. basic informations. no troll allowed. no story. no blabla.

if you don't understart what I write, read this: explain your
problem without any verb. no verb. no action. how will you
explain your problem ? in the right way ... try ...

BELLonline
02-01-2010, 21:09
Yeah, I think it's because servers at ovh are so cheap that anyone will get one - even those that aren't able to manage a server properly. That will inevitably lead to loads of support requests for stupid things, meaning that more staff are needed and they will be trained less.

Still, there should be a separate department for network issues so that you can submit a ticket directly to someone that knows what they're doing rather than having to spend days/weeks trying to convince someone that there is a genuine problem.

Still, if the support isn't that good then it's best for people to make it clear so that the management can look in to ways of improving it.

Andy
02-01-2010, 20:57
BELLonline, you'll often find if support can't solve a problem they'll just fob you off. As much as they won't admit it, it's often true, so don't take it out on the actual support person. It's just in their script and it's what they're trained to tell you.

BELLonline
02-01-2010, 20:31
I know of someone else that's been getting the exact same responses, they've provided loads of info, like traceroutes etc and they've been told that they're overloading the network card/server despite the fact that they only use about 5-10Mbps and the server is well within its limits.

It seems like they have some copy/paste responses ready for anyone that complains.

Busby
02-01-2010, 19:44
Yeah, we've had exactly the same experience - it's almost impossible to get them to admit when there's a problem. I've had a listen to your stream and it buffered after about 2 seconds of listening which is pretty bad.
I hate to say this, but the e-mails between me and support are the stuff of comedy shows, with me being asked to supply info, supplying it, then being asked to supply it again.

The thing that really annoyed me, was being told that I needed to buy a bigger server, with a 1Gb network card, as it was being overloaded..

I only used 400Gb out of the 3Tb cap during December..

BELLonline
02-01-2010, 19:18
Quote Originally Posted by Busby
Yes, I have 2 servers with OVH which I use for ShoutCast streaming, and I have been trying for 2 weeks to get the buffering sorted. I have supplied them with with Tracerouts, pings and customer testimonials and they tell me my servers are fine..

See for yourself: http: then// then213.186.57.52:8016

I have been an OVH customer for 2 years and always pay on time, but trying to convince OVH that there is a problem has been unbelievably hard..
Yeah, we've had exactly the same experience - it's almost impossible to get them to admit when there's a problem. I've had a listen to your stream and it buffered after about 2 seconds of listening which is pretty bad.

Busby
02-01-2010, 19:13
It seems obvious what's happened. OVH have sold servers far too cheaply with unmetered b/w and it's unsustainable - has anyone noticed how bad the b/w quality has been lately on a lot of servers? I've got customers using servers for small scale streaming and even a 128k stream buffers constantly on some servers when the overall usage is less than 5Mbps.
Yes, I have 2 servers with OVH which I use for ShoutCast streaming, and I have been trying for 2 weeks to get the buffering sorted. I have supplied them with with Tracerouts, pings and customer testimonials and they tell me my servers are fine..

See for yourself: http: then// then213.186.57.52:8016 or http then:// then91.121.143.17:8016

I have been an OVH customer for 2 years and always pay on time, but trying to convince OVH that there is a problem has been unbelievably hard..

BELLonline
02-01-2010, 18:08
It seems obvious what's happened. OVH have sold servers far too cheaply with unmetered b/w and it's unsustainable - has anyone noticed how bad the b/w quality has been lately on a lot of servers? I've got customers using servers for small scale streaming and even a 128k stream buffers constantly on some servers when the overall usage is less than 5Mbps.

It looks like we can't use our 'free rps' either, I had one with no space and just went to add it, and 'action not allowed'. Cancelled RPS and credited the money back to my account.

They really don't want anyone else on the network until it all calms down. I wouldn't be surprised if they started seriously limiting bandwidth on high usage servers to lose the customers that use most of the bandwidth.

I have about 30-40 servers with OVH. I'm happy to keep my servers here while the quality is decent, but won't be buying any more while there's a £60 setup fee.

_Lemon_
02-01-2010, 17:35
And I make more than 2 a month, i've make at the very least one a day Neil :P
Out of curiosity, how many servers total?

RapidSpeeds
31-12-2009, 17:08
Why are people telling me this? I quite clearly said it's a special order, I know :P

I only said because I waited a whole week for my last 1Gbps switchport order to go through, the time before that was 8days.

And I make more than 2 a month, i've make at the very least one a day Neil :P

Anyways, Happy new year folks!

*gone drinking*

Mac
31-12-2009, 15:03
2 reasons for that,

A) Your order more than 2 servers a month so it has to be manually validated.
b) 1Gbit switchport has to be manually fitted, but should this normally done in the 72 Hours.

Yes this happned to me..
Yesterday when i ordered my EG Max i had to wait 24 Hrs for it
As Neil said that oles will need to verify my order.
Now its a new rule with ovh if you order more than 2 servers in a month
3 rd order will be manually verified by oles..The Director of Ovh.

PS:Just curious ...Dont you have other important stuffs to do rather than manually accepting the orders which can be done by your staff....

Neil
31-12-2009, 13:46
Random number generator

I have ordered a i7-2T with 1Gbps switchport - lets see how long that takes The 'guide' says 31 available within 1hr - I know it's a special order, but let's see
2 reasons for that,

A) Your order more than 2 servers a month so it has to be manually validated.
b) 1Gbit switchport has to be manually fitted, but should this normally done in the 72 Hours.

RapidSpeeds
31-12-2009, 13:44
10hrs 10mins and the tax goes to 17.5% again

RapidSpeeds
30-12-2009, 14:57
No because your contract does not start until the access codes are sent, and the availability is a guide on the website.
Random number generator

I have ordered a i7-2T with 1Gbps switchport - lets see how long that takes The 'guide' says 31 available within 1hr - I know it's a special order, but let's see

gigabit
28-12-2009, 20:53
That's what I was trying to say, don't remember putting a face in there...

Neil
28-12-2009, 20:45
They don't compensate for late orders
No because your contract does not start until the access codes are sent, and the availability is a guide on the website.

gigabit
28-12-2009, 13:24
They don't compensate for late orders

RapidSpeeds
28-12-2009, 12:10
You should have just pasted them some wget/curl/fetch results and some traceroutes/pings to a few other machines, including some inside ovh's network - they can't argue when you have evidence in black and white.

I have been waiting a week for a Q-1T with 1Gbps switchport - i'm suprised my client hasn't asked for his money back.

Will I be compensated? This is ovh we are talking about... what do you think

Jizzy
27-12-2009, 17:19
Quote Originally Posted by slayer2005
Remember this same server without setup fee used to be 59.00
http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/dedicated.xml
Now its 34.00 so overall you are going to save money over time.
That's just the natural evolution of the server market.

They've let their flukey success go to their heads. The term "you get what you pay for" no longer applies to OVH, because their service has improved precisely nill. I still get 20kb/s maximum when transferring to any country other than the 6 OVH is peered with.

Edit: Plus I bought a gigabit server a few months ago, it never got speeds of above 200kb/s when transferring outside of the OVH network. It took me 2 weeks to get them to acknowledge this and claim they were fixing it. Did it get fixed? no. Did I get compensated? no.

RapidSpeeds
23-12-2009, 07:18
I am not going to e-mail anyone else - all I wanted to do was prove a point, and the success of this post has done just that.

People are willing to shop around for a better deal, yes we were buying into the OVH brand, but only because they had rock bottom prices.

As a wise meerkat once said, simples!

slayer2005
23-12-2009, 06:58
Quote Originally Posted by antdgar
So there are no alternatives/better deals than OVH's umetered SPmini09 out there?
Then I have no choice but to stay with them >.<
Remember this same server without setup fee used to be 59.00
http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/dedicated.xml
Now its 34.00 so overall you are going to save money over time.

inet
23-12-2009, 05:43
im still un-decided at the moment, i have sent an email to the alternative though, will wait to see the reply ..

-inet

magnoman
23-12-2009, 01:34
can i have a link please too

magnoman at gmail.com

thxs

inet
22-12-2009, 11:15
Many thanks

-inet

RapidSpeeds
22-12-2009, 07:10
Quote Originally Posted by inet
out of intrest does this company have a link?
if you dont mind my emailing me.
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
Can I have this link too please
done & done.

DigitalDaz
21-12-2009, 21:52
Can I have this link too please

digitaldaz100 at gmail.com

TIA

inet
21-12-2009, 20:30
Quote Originally Posted by tooon
well i have just let my server run out and ordered a dedi from this underground place we are all talking about, so that's another customer lost because of the set-up fees
out of intrest does this company have a link?
if you dont mind my emailing me.

oxo_user**@**eml.cc

remove: **

-inet

tooon
21-12-2009, 17:01
well i have just let my server run out and ordered a dedi from this underground place we are all talking about, so that's another customer lost because of the set-up fees

inet
21-12-2009, 15:54
It does seem a little steep the setup fee, but i don't see much alternatives from other companys for same price etc ?

-inet

antdgar
21-12-2009, 13:58
So there are no alternatives/better deals than OVH's umetered SPmini09 out there?
Then I have no choice but to stay with them >.<

Busby
21-12-2009, 13:27
Quote Originally Posted by turbanator
www.netrackservers.com i found them on webhostingtalk.com giving out 100mbit unmetered servers Windows no extra charge lowest end was 99 dollars..they say there nodes are shared with 10-15 servers a month so expect 5TB average BW every month..never tested it out tho
I would steer clear of NetRackServers if I were you - their b/w is crap quality and support is slow.. I had a server with them for 6 months and for most of that time it was unusable..

Makes you realise the good points with OVH

RapidSpeeds
21-12-2009, 12:06
I know dnsgalaxy.. but with this post we are showing them we are not going to pay that, some people obviously will, but the vast majority will look elsewhere.

OVH is only where it is for one reason, and we all know that one reason... but word is spreading everywhere about this 'underground ovh' - who are obviously sorting out the packages they offer, to really give ovh a run for there money.

They need to sort the issue out soon, before it's too late. It was the loyal people, and OVH's great prices that got them where they are today - never forget your roots, everyone knows that.

What company wouldn't love so many orders they struggle to fufill them, and there was never a problem, people would wait - they knew they were getting an excellent server at a cheap price at the end of the day..

Oles, I would start thinking about putting a lease on your new datacentre, coz believe me when I say, you will never fill it.

You might say how many servers you have now... but what have this months orders been like compared to last month, mind telling us that? I bet you won't though, because we both know stats can't lie.

antdgar
20-12-2009, 20:28
I said that in a Post and amazingly the post was removed.

I must have had over 40 requests for people asking about it, and quite a few orders.
can you tell me the service?
antdgar yahoo co uk

dansgalaxy
20-12-2009, 17:32
Is it just me which is thinking that any other company would probably have come onto this thread, gone hmm.. we have a problem... and then try and offer a solution?

I mean, if I was in OVH's position I would have come on here and offered everyone a coupon or something to sweeten us up! It seems ludicrous to me that they are sitting by and watching a load of paying customers [s]walk[/s] run away from their service, and of course most of this people on this thread will *NOT* be recommending OVH, if anything they will be actively discouraging potential customers...

Perhaps that's just me... But hey... I'm just a teenager running a small web services company... OVH should know better right?... right?...

RapidSpeeds
20-12-2009, 17:27
Quote Originally Posted by everwicked
This is pretty damn amazing. I've received at least *3* e-mails from people asking me the address of this website.

I wonder how much Oles' 72,000 server count will drop in January and whether he'll care or not.
I said that in a Post and amazingly the post was removed.

I must have had over 40 requests for people asking about it, and quite a few orders.

everwicked
20-12-2009, 15:46
This is pretty damn amazing. I've received at least *3* e-mails from people asking me the address of this website.

I wonder how much Oles' 72,000 server count will drop in January and whether he'll care or not.

tooon
19-12-2009, 22:18
Quote Originally Posted by antdgar
rapidspeeds or someone else:
can you tell me what company you are talking about?

my email is antdgar at *yahoo* *dot* co *dot* uk

Please could someone send me the link as well, im just about up on my RPS month and wanted to buy a dedicated server but i really don't want to pay the set-up fee and would really appreciate if anyone could provide me with some alternatives with out set-up fees.

tooonami118 *at* *gmail* *dot* *com*

antdgar
19-12-2009, 19:37
rapidspeeds or someone else:
can you tell me what company you are talking about?

my email is antdgar at *yahoo* *dot* co *dot* uk

dansgalaxy
19-12-2009, 13:44
I'm a lazy reseller... All my customers are web hosting/streaming/domain sales so really having a good selection of VPS/Dedi solutions is just good practice for when someone needs to upgrade sort of thing, not main business product.

RapidSpeeds
19-12-2009, 00:05
Quote Originally Posted by dansgalaxy
That does sound pretty good... I night have to wait a bit until I have some spare cash and buy a small server and give them a go for the money.

I have to ask though, If they can speak English in email... why don't they make a bloody EN version of their site!!
I thought you are a reseller? They make an english version and why would people buy from us? Yeah, of course, it's the 24/7 technical support, and the ability we can set-up anything they want, and any linux/program questions they have someone dedicated to help them - but the main reason, as I have said a million times, is because they can't buy it themselves! Whether it's because the company does not sell to them, or they don't understand the page.

Everyone seems to be having problems ordering from them and i'm glad - Buy from my and i'll order it for you, lol.

Although, I would just rather everyone bought from OVH and they dropped the stupid set-up fee to same price as the server. (£19.99 + VAT).

A full year upfront... pfft... Think we are proving our point though, that we are all looking at alternatives whilst the set-up fee exists.

dansgalaxy
18-12-2009, 08:59
That does sound pretty good... I night have to wait a bit until I have some spare cash and buy a small server and give them a go for the money.

I have to ask though, If they can speak English in email... why don't they make a bloody EN version of their site!!

everwicked
18-12-2009, 04:05
Just to answer you all - I spoke to them regarding this - They are changing it to be 2TB on the smallest servers, 3TB on the next step up, and 4TB on the highest grade servers.

(TB per week)
So that's total of 8TB/12TB/16TB / month ??? If so, that's going to be awesome!

Akd
18-12-2009, 03:10
Would you be able to send the details of the provider my way as well please? Starting to near the end of lease on my current one.

E-mail: nospam (at) netward.org

Would be nice to at least get a one-time-use-only voucher code for even -50% on the set-up fees as a bit of goodwill for loyal customers (had leases for 2+ years now).

RapidSpeeds
18-12-2009, 02:45
btw, forgot to add - they said this will be from January 1st.

As for the 1TB/week limit atm, the server is then dropped to 50Mb/s as opposed to the 100Mb/s. (which isn't too bad)

RapidSpeeds
18-12-2009, 02:24
Just to answer you all - I spoke to them regarding this - They are changing it to be 2TB on the smallest servers, 3TB on the next step up, and 4TB on the highest grade servers.

(TB per week)

everwicked
18-12-2009, 00:30
I'm hoping the "Tera bit" business is them being French...

slayer2005
17-12-2009, 22:36
There are loads of companies out there who provide dirt cheap server hardware and say unlimited bw then you read the little writing and you see that horrible 1TB sentence!

dansgalaxy
17-12-2009, 22:11
Terabyte or terabit?
Hmm I wonder that...

And is that just the incoming traffic? Because if its understood as downloading then surely thats only incoming traffic? Eg if its a torrent download server etc...

Razakel
17-12-2009, 22:07
Quote Originally Posted by MicroChip123
"Unlimited" = 1TB/Week
The servers that consume more than a terra bit of data per week
Terabyte or terabit?

MicroChip123
17-12-2009, 19:39
Quote Originally Posted by Jizzy
Could someone tell me what this provider is? I'm a long term customer and after years of buying servers from OVH I refuse to pay setup fees on general principal.

My address is jayuth [at] gmail [dot] com if anyone would care to oblige
Sent!

Jizzy
17-12-2009, 19:33
Could someone tell me what this provider is? I'm a long term customer and after years of buying servers from OVH I refuse to pay setup fees on general principal.

My address is jayuth [at] gmail [dot] com if anyone would care to oblige

AdamD
17-12-2009, 19:16
Honestly they shouldn't even bother, or be allowed to advertise it as unlimited if that's the restriction they put in
God how I hate the whole "Unlimited" crap.

MicroChip123
17-12-2009, 18:20
Their ToS says no more than 1TB/week...
"Unlimited" = 1TB/Week

The servers that consume more than a terra bit of data per week will be understood as dedicated to downloading. In this case *other host* reserves the right to close all or part of the Client's Internet access until it is stopped the problem.

gigabit
17-12-2009, 18:12
Their ToS says no more than 1TB/week...

everwicked
17-12-2009, 16:56
So I've e-mailed this other no-setup-fee provider about their servers. As far as I can see they advertise them as unmetered so I asked if 6TB/month would be OK with them.

They said that "1TB/week would be ok with us, for 6TB/month you'd need two servers".

Constant peak usage of 100Mbits would be 25TB or so right?

So, unmetered = 4TB/month with these guys. I hope I got it wrong somewhere.

Razakel
17-12-2009, 15:52
You would need to do it on a massive scale to make it worth while and you would not breakeven for a good few years.

Why in france not the uk?
Because land, taxes, staff, power and bandwidth is cheaper there.

The UK is fast becoming an awful place to do business.

CAPE
17-12-2009, 15:24
If you pay by Direct Debit, it's month-by-month.

Bank transfer/Visa/Mastercard -> 3months.

Paypal -> 6months.

Cheque -> 1year.
hmm, when I try to order the choices they give to pay by credit card is 6 month or 1 year

MicroChip123
17-12-2009, 14:52
You would need to do it on a massive scale to make it worth while and you would not breakeven for a good few years.

Why in france not the uk?

everwicked
17-12-2009, 14:30
RapidSpeeds - be sure to let us know if you do do something like that! I'd personally be quite interested.

turbanator
17-12-2009, 09:02
You guys would be the first people I would want abusing the network
1Gbit for 90 euros flat please unlimited bandwidth hahah (6) :P

dansgalaxy
16-12-2009, 22:48
Haha, better the devil(s) you know!

RapidSpeeds
16-12-2009, 22:33
Dont forget that special pricing for your friends on the OVH forums ;-)
You guys would be the first people I would want abusing the network

dansgalaxy
16-12-2009, 21:59
Dont forget that special pricing for your friends on the OVH forums ;-)

RapidSpeeds
16-12-2009, 19:39
Hrmm, I am seriously thinking of just going for it, take the hit, invest all my savings, get a bank loan, and colo on a massive scale/rent a building in France - if I can generate this much interest for someone else, imagine what I could do on my own...

I can buy the c05g (or something along the lines of) from eBay by the looks of it for some real amazing prices, get about 20 racks (I could fill just shy of 9racks (45U) with the current customers I have) - and just start from there.

Bandwidth is cheap, and piggy backing on the same network this other company is using doesn't cost the earth either.

I reckon in 12-15months I would break even (maybe sooner depening on how many I could actually sell), and from then on it's profit.

It's definately something to ponder over

CAPE
16-12-2009, 19:38

Paypal -> 6months.

Cheque -> 1year.
Thanks mate

RapidSpeeds
16-12-2009, 19:25
Quote Originally Posted by CAPE
Hello RapidSpeeds! That new underground place looks really interesting and I just need to ask you one question please.
I was going to sign up for one server and I'm wondering is it necessary to pay for 1 year up front?

Kind regards

Paypal -> 6months.

Cheque -> 1year.

CAPE
16-12-2009, 18:52
Hello RapidSpeeds! That new underground place looks really interesting and I just need to ask you one question please.
I was going to sign up for one server and I'm wondering is it necessary to pay for 1 year up front?

Kind regards

RapidSpeeds
16-12-2009, 17:34
No, why would it be? We just don't want our forum linked to other hosting companies. You don't see a BA in-flight magazine on an Easyjet flight.

If you want to leave then there are plenty of forums that discuss hosting companies, and the one you are talking about is discussed on neutral forums where you can get plenty of feedback, more than here, this forum is to discuss about OVH Services, not another company.
Fair point Neil, but that isn't my gameplan mate - I have never posted a link to any other service that OVH doesn't offer, and I never will.

I just want Oles to come on here, have someone translate for him, and see that the biggest non-sticky forum is full of angry customers outraged that loyalty means nothing to OVH.

RapidSpeeds
16-12-2009, 17:30
rapidspeeds bro there have been quite a lot of those resellers from that site..some got shut down..there is one that still exists..for 100Mbps..but i haven't heard great things either of the main site or the reseller site itself..tho for what they provide they are the cheapest lol..but i dont know many users who use them I would want to try there Gbit option, also long time back when i had my first box, that is the company i used..via a reseller..and i had too many hardware issues :P
You sure you ain't getting them mixed up with dedibox? That other company only been running since April, and the box I have right now is solid.

Much faster speeds to US than OVH, but not as good to Europe (only less by about 1-1.5Mb/s though) - but still, when punishing it you get the 11-12Mb/s OVH can give you - it's unlimited and cheaper - no set-up fee is the only thing i'm wanting to pointing out!

Trying to make OVH understand we will look elsewhere if need be for servers if they don't come to some better arrangement than pay 1yr up front to avoid it.

I still wanna have ovh bandwidth babies, but without that nasty fee

Neil
16-12-2009, 17:26
Is that OVH's stance on everything? O.. so you want to leave because we aren't meeting your needs? Ok. that's cool. O but dont post a link... tut tut. lol
No, why would it be? We just don't want our forum linked to other hosting companies. You don't see a BA in-flight magazine on an Easyjet flight.

If you want to leave then there are plenty of forums that discuss hosting companies, and the one you are talking about is discussed on neutral forums where you can get plenty of feedback, more than here, this forum is to discuss about OVH Services, not another company.

RapidSpeeds
16-12-2009, 17:25
Do i need to write the email in french or english?
English

dansgalaxy
16-12-2009, 17:05
Is that OVH's stance on everything? O.. so you want to leave because we aren't meeting your needs? Ok. that's cool. O but dont post a link... tut tut. lol

Neil
16-12-2009, 17:01
You can discuss, but it has to be kept link free.

turbanator
16-12-2009, 12:26
rapidspeeds bro there have been quite a lot of those resellers from that site..some got shut down..there is one that still exists..for 100Mbps..but i haven't heard great things either of the main site or the reseller site itself..tho for what they provide they are the cheapest lol..but i dont know many users who use them I would want to try there Gbit option, also long time back when i had my first box, that is the company i used..via a reseller..and i had too many hardware issues :P

MicroChip123
16-12-2009, 12:21
You would need to email and ask them bud, i'm not sure.

Nice people though, will reply to your email very quickly.
Do i need to write the email in french or english?

RapidSpeeds
16-12-2009, 12:03
rapidseeds can u send me an email too regarding this company at sks2809@gmail.com
it's rapidspeeds and yes bro, done

RapidSpeeds
16-12-2009, 12:02
Thanks for your email.

Do these guys have an option where you can reinstall the OS unlimited times for free as i tend to break my server trying stuff and then endup reformatting it about 6 times.

Do they offer extra ips?
also do they offer UK ip's?

They really do need a english version of that site (or one with less images so google translate can work better).
If they do an English version, us resellers are screwed - i'm glad they are underground :P

I know people pay to have certain programs installed and have 24/7 Technical help, but the majority just buy because they can't buy from OVH, we all know that.

You would need to email and ask them bud, i'm not sure.

Nice people though, will reply to your email very quickly.

They told me they are working on there manager, I can read french enough to navigate around the site etc, but I would email and double check don't wanna give you inaccurate information.

I feel like this company should be paying me comission for generating all this interest or ovh paying me to keep my mouth shut

I will end up being banned from the forums or something, and this all started off with me replying to someones post: Yes, you can get the same value elsewhere!

turbanator
16-12-2009, 11:41
done

damn... my 5th email, lol.

All us 'valued' customers seem to be switching business by the bucketload..

I hope this will get through to Oles that you need some sort of 'free' set-up option on a low grade server (and not the pay 1yr upfront), as alot of people just don't have the kind of money he obviously thinks they do..
rapidseeds can u send me an email too regarding this company at sks2809@gmail.com

RapidSpeeds
16-12-2009, 10:22
It is,but i cant get you megan fox shes fully booked.
Sent

Ohh well, I guess that saves me a mission trying to talk the missus into a threesome

MicroChip123
16-12-2009, 09:42
Not bad One so far - but was for a client, he seems happy enough - 10MB/s up.

Obviously OVH is still that little but faster, but when you take into consideration that set-up fee - it's always good to give the customer the option to choose what they want.

They use the cogentco network - so have a google for network map.

I am going to stop talking about this, I feel I have said enough - and as much as I feel undervalued by OVH, I still have alot of servers with them, which everyone seems to enjoy, including me - if you have the money to pay for the set-up fee, I would choose OVH anyday - but if you don't, as I said, it's good to have options.

With that said, I would also still choose OVH for the higher spec servers, no doubt in my mind about that - they simply can't be beaten, and they own there own network which gives them a major advantage, and they know that.

But you know as well as I do, you need something cheap to get the fish to bite - and hopefully upgrade as time goes on.
Thanks for your email.

Do these guys have an option where you can reinstall the OS unlimited times for free as i tend to break my server trying stuff and then endup reformatting it about 6 times.

Do they offer extra ips?
also do they offer UK ip's?

They really do need a english version of that site (or one with less images so google translate can work better).

slayer2005
16-12-2009, 09:29
kopitesteve@hotmail.co.uk <-- that your email?
It is,but i cant get you megan fox shes fully booked.

RapidSpeeds
16-12-2009, 09:24
kopitesteve@hotmail.co.uk <-- that your email?

RapidSpeeds
16-12-2009, 09:22
About what you want for christmas
lmfao - i'd like Megan Fox spread across my bed with her birthday suit on please

slayer2005
16-12-2009, 09:16
What about mate? lol

About what you want for christmas

RapidSpeeds
16-12-2009, 09:14
Can you send me a email m8,curious.
What about mate? lol

slayer2005
16-12-2009, 09:05
done

I hope this will get through to Oles that you need some sort of 'free' set-up option on a low grade server (and not the pay 1yr upfront), as alot of people just don't have the kind of money he obviously thinks they do..
Can you send me a email m8,curious.

RapidSpeeds
16-12-2009, 09:03
The question is are they any good?
Have you tried them?
Not bad One so far - but was for a client, he seems happy enough - 10MB/s up.

Obviously OVH is still that little but faster, but when you take into consideration that set-up fee - it's always good to give the customer the option to choose what they want.

They use the cogentco network - so have a google for network map.

I am going to stop talking about this, I feel I have said enough - and as much as I feel undervalued by OVH, I still have alot of servers with them, which everyone seems to enjoy, including me - if you have the money to pay for the set-up fee, I would choose OVH anyday - but if you don't, as I said, it's good to have options.

With that said, I would also still choose OVH for the higher spec servers, no doubt in my mind about that - they simply can't be beaten, and they own there own network which gives them a major advantage, and they know that.

But you know as well as I do, you need something cheap to get the fish to bite - and hopefully upgrade as time goes on.

RapidSpeeds
16-12-2009, 08:56
email me to: mail [A|T] microchip123.org
done

RapidSpeeds
16-12-2009, 08:53
Quote Originally Posted by NickW
Is this the company that offers a 1.6GHz Intel Atom, 1GB RAM and 100Mbps unmetered for €15 that you're talking about? If so, are they any good?

If it's not that company then let me know - nickw2006 [at] gmail.com
you have the right one

NickW
15-12-2009, 23:32
@NickW yep I think you have the right company ;-)
Are you with them? Are they any good? How do they allocate IP addresses/can you buy more?

dansgalaxy
15-12-2009, 22:49
@NickW yep I think you have the right company ;-)

MicroChip123
15-12-2009, 21:01
email me to: mail [A|T] microchip123.org

NickW
15-12-2009, 20:49
Is this the company that offers a 1.6GHz Intel Atom, 1GB RAM and 100Mbps unmetered for €15 that you're talking about? If so, are they any good?

If it's not that company then let me know - nickw2006 [at] gmail.com

*Mikee*
15-12-2009, 18:19
share please -- email me - kimisufi [at] live.com

Thanx

Quick and easy answer - Yes.

Already found one

slayer2005
15-12-2009, 15:38
lol

The question is are they any good?
Have you tried them?

RapidSpeeds
15-12-2009, 13:52
lol

dansgalaxy
15-12-2009, 13:49
Could I get an email too please

admin@xdnet.co.uk

RapidSpeeds
15-12-2009, 11:41
lmao - so they don't know of this new company?

They only started in April 09 btw mate - They just replied to another one of my emails there - very, very nice people.

Not the best with English, but that's what translators are for - and Oles doesn't seem to bother with him posting French on here

everwicked
15-12-2009, 11:15
LOL - let's thank OVH for not enabling PMs on their forums

RapidSpeeds
15-12-2009, 10:52
Quote Originally Posted by everwicked
My e-mail address is on my signature and you can also click and my username and e-mail!
I have to email you now? This seems like work

everwicked
15-12-2009, 10:49
not on the forums - want to keep it hush

your messages are disabled
My e-mail address is on my signature and you can also click and my username and e-mail!

RapidSpeeds
15-12-2009, 10:43
not on the forums - want to keep it hush

your messages are disabled

everwicked
15-12-2009, 08:25
Yes please!

slayer2005
15-12-2009, 07:50

Already found one

RapidSpeeds
15-12-2009, 07:27
Can you beat £20 for a European server on a decent network, though?

Already found one

Razakel
15-12-2009, 00:43
i am already looking for deals on WHT forums head over there there are some nice 100Mbit unmetered offers shared but still much better hardware and reasonable pricing

stick to ovh for 1Gbit tho the pro servers they are still the best deals
Can you beat £20 for a European server on a decent network, though?

turbanator
14-12-2009, 04:12
i am already looking for deals on WHT forums head over there there are some nice 100Mbit unmetered offers shared but still much better hardware and reasonable pricing

stick to ovh for 1Gbit tho the pro servers they are still the best deals

RapidSpeeds
13-12-2009, 14:23
I really need to have a look around and find a better deal, can't be messed around like OVH seems to be doing :/
tell me about it..

dansgalaxy
13-12-2009, 00:16
Grr this just gets worse and worse.

As I have said before, it is such a shame that a company with such a great network and hardware are so poor with their customers.

I really need to have a look around and find a better deal, can't be messed around like OVH seems to be doing :/

Nettus
12-12-2009, 22:39
Oh, thats bloody stupid!!

Why dont they just state that on the site???

Sure im paying for a year for a server, things have changed so much when i had a free year of a server hehe

DigitalDaz
12-12-2009, 22:38
As many now seem to be saying, the real issue here is becoming confidence, not in the hardware or network but in the way OVH is handling us, its longer standing customers. People are becoming wary of ordering because they may lose money by waiting a month, who knows what will be happening a month from now.

The people getting hit here are not new customers, they have never know any different, its us who have been here longer, and usually with more than one server.

The other week I got an i7-4T with a £99 setup, a week later they all drop to £49 setup. At £49 setup I may possibly have got two i7-2T's but now that I am £99 in setup on the first, I'm not gonna drop it. Next week they may change again and you really don't know which way to go, I mean within a week of the setups being introduced we get free setup on yearly contracts. Do I wait a month and see if that becomes 6 monthly? Do I use another provider altogether? These are the issues OVH is forcing on us. We are being pushed to the competition.

I had been happy at OVH for the last year or so, hadn't even dreamed of looking at anyone else. Now I have started looking I realise how many other deals are out there, its just the case of the devil I know at the moment but the case for looking at others is getting stronger and stronger but it is the insecurity that is pushing me to it.

DigitalDaz
12-12-2009, 22:28
The SP one says Free*

*: the installation costs are free for an annual payment. Otherwise: £49.99.

gigabit
12-12-2009, 22:26
Kimsufis say "free" with small print of "free for yearly contract, otherwise £49.99". this would be ok if OVH didnt change their entire pricing scheme so often as they do, because of this i would never buy a server for a year in one go, cus something better would appear a month later...

sic
12-12-2009, 22:26
check the asterisk next to the 'free' set up!

the small print says *: the installation costs are free for an annual payment. Otherwise: £49.99.

usual rubbish marketing ploy. It got my hopes up until i read that hence my last post.

Like i said i dont care if it costs me more money in the long run to leave. I hate that crap advertising ploy!!!

Nettus
12-12-2009, 22:17
forget me if im wrong

but the site http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/ displayes at "free" setup?

also

the SuperPlan BestOF Dedicated servers says £49.99 setup fee http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/dedicated_offers.xml

But on this page, it says setup fee "free"

http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/superplan_best_of.xml

Ovh should really start fixing their sites, Not just rushing it, Looks so unprofessional. As its stated free on that page, how can they say that they want £49.99 setup fee when it says "free" on the products page, surely thats breaking some law jargon?

sic
12-12-2009, 22:02
it is a shame coz i actually wanted/needed a new server. but i refuse to pay this set up fee and will now take that business elsewhere!

Honestly i dont even care if it ends up costing me more money in the long run i will not buy another server until the set up fee goes again.

Who knows if i find a decent deal elsewhere i may take my 9 servers that i currently have with me?

Tz-OVH
12-12-2009, 21:31
I recently changed servers here, went for a lower spec, but was forced to pay that setup fee...this is my almost 10th server now, I still retain a few of them, but have moved off kimsufi's and am using PRO servers for quite some time. I can't see what OVH gets from me by forcing me to keep paying setup fees everytime I want to upgrade.

I'll say this, not having a setup fee was a big + in my book for OVH, I'm going to be looking at others more closely, LeaseWeb currently dont have setup fees on alot of their servers, and you can't knock their peering.

It used to be

OVH = no setup fee, fast servers, unlimited bw.
LW = setup fee, good servers, limited bw.

If you look at the situation today, its reversed or almost come to a equal state where both offer good servers, limited bw, but OVH has a setup fee on everything now.

gigabit
12-12-2009, 21:25
I completely agree Myatu. I will be staying with OVH, with the servers I have had since the start, on the better bandwidth plan, and better prices. But will I be buying more from OVH in the future? Probably not. Their pricing scheme doesn't suit me at all, everyone has different needs, and OVH has become less "we will suit everyone" to "we will suit some people, but if you want anything special of custom you will have to pay crap loads more" and average people like me can't afford that; IP pricing etc... It will be interesting to see Oles posts in a few months and see if the new changes have made OVH get abused less, or if the number of customers has changed.

Myatu
12-12-2009, 21:12
Although I am not too happy about the introduced setup fees, I'm more annoyed by the empty promises, general indecisiveness and the lack of communication.

Just look at my join date, I haven't been here for ages. But in that timespan, OVH has changed the fee structure at least 3 times. That, in my opinion, is excessive.

What's worse is that these changes aren't communicated very well to existing or new customers. It simply consists of an obscure forum message in the form of "Hey, we'll be adding setup fees in two days. It's because of abuse. Bye!".

Businesses generally tend to plan things ahead instead of making purchases on a whim, so I can't rely on OVH to plan too far ahead. One day to a week is not enough notice. And preferably I would like to hear from my service provider by e-mail (or even post!), instead of me having to seek out the information because I stumbled upon a surprise proposed change here.

OVH's only saving grace in that respect has been the fact they haven't applied these fee / server changes to existing customers (who are permitted to remain on their unchanged plans at unchanged prices). Yet.

The empty promises are the kicker though. 24/7 support was expected in September, and it's December now. The techs promised to be more pro-active in the forums, yet most questions directly to OVH are collecting dust and customers are answering customers instead. There was supposed to be a highly anticipated reseller program, which turned into a referral scheme or "loyalty points". New servers with uber-specs were introduced, but couldn't (and sometimes still can't) be delivered when they were ordered. And so on.

I'll keep what I have, but I'm not inclined to purchase more from OVH. It's a shame really, because the server and quality of the connections are excellent. If only they could match the rest.

Nettus
12-12-2009, 19:05
Most provider's have a setup fee now days? whats the problem?

for example http://www.coreix.net/dedicated/basic/dual-core.php £50 setup
and http://www.serverpronto.com/starternew.php

I agree on not charging for existing customers, or they could do pay 3 months up front or pay setup fee's that would be a better idea

Razakel
12-12-2009, 02:23
You could just do what RapidSwitch (my previous provider, UK-based) do. You have the option of free setup or to pay £39. If you pick the £39 setup, they knock £6/month off the price.

tallen
11-12-2009, 20:21
£280 is quite a bit to put upfront for a whole year.
Anyway all the systems are automated to install a OS to a server.
It would be nice if OVH removed the setup fee or reduced it.

I mean who is going to buy a server that costs £9.99 with a £49.99 setup fee?
They're really killing server use for individuals, little personal websites, game servers, IRC Servers etc. People are going to go elsewhere, I can name many competitors who have no setup fees.

RapidSpeeds
11-12-2009, 07:59
Free set-up if you pay for a year up front?

Guess it's the best we can hope for

_Lemon_
09-12-2009, 00:42
You need more than the price of the invoice, and then when you get to payment selection screen the option should be there. Aparently.
That's pretty much it, it appears next to the "Pay by card" as "Payment using your loyalty points" in the centre. You have to click through a few screens though.

gigabit
08-12-2009, 22:44
You need more than the price of the invoice, and then when you get to payment selection screen the option should be there. Aparently.

Razakel
08-12-2009, 22:15
Quote Originally Posted by _Lemon_
They won't remove it entirely. Although an improvement it's still prohibitive for me to use regularly. I simply don't have that much cash up front for all the servers I want to purchase.

1 loyalty point = 1 pence and costs 1 pence. There's a minimum of £10 when purchasing loyalty points though. It's very useful for renewing a lot of servers.
I can't work out how to actually *spend* loyalty points. :/

_Lemon_
08-12-2009, 20:43
Quote Originally Posted by tallen
Looks like they've removed it for the one year package for any server. It's only a matter of time I think until they remove it completely. It's extremely unpopular and going to be loosing OVH lots of business.
They won't remove it entirely. Although an improvement it's still prohibitive for me to use regularly. I simply don't have that much cash up front for all the servers I want to purchase.

OVH please why can't you make the Loyalty points worh something? Say 10 = a server setup or something like that. You can spend £1150 and only get £10 (1000 points) to spend with OVH. Why!?
1 loyalty point = 1 pence and costs 1 pence. There's a minimum of £10 when purchasing loyalty points though. It's very useful for renewing a lot of servers.

tallen
08-12-2009, 18:32
Looks like they've removed it for the one year package for any server. It's only a matter of time I think until they remove it completely. It's extremely unpopular and going to be loosing OVH lots of business.

OVH please why can't you make the Loyalty points worh something? Say 10 = a server setup or something like that. You can spend £1150 and only get £10 (1000 points) to spend with OVH. Why!?

dansgalaxy
08-12-2009, 13:35
Well this is exactly what this forum does. Speculate. Just like you are doing...

So yes, its speculation... hence why I didn't say "They have similar margins" i said "they probs have similar margins"

_Lemon_
08-12-2009, 13:27
Why does it matter of the spec of the server? Realisticly they probs have similar margins on the low end server and higher spec ones.
How are you so sure? They have just slashed the set up fees of the higher Kimsufi servers in half while the counters are set quite firmly at 0 availability. While I would be inclined to mostly agree with you, I don't think any of us know the real facts and can only speculate.

Well, except OVH of course.

dansgalaxy
08-12-2009, 12:47
Why does it matter of the spec of the server? Realisticly they probs have similar margins on the low end server and higher spec ones.

And if you can get customers on board with a dedi server for £20 those clients will then move up to the bigger ones...

By cutting off lower end servers you remove the stepping stone for a massive chunk of the user base who simply cant afford to jump to a higher level server right away.

_Lemon_
08-12-2009, 11:09
Here's my idea on what has happened:

OVH have run out of the hardware on the C-05G and are reluctant to invest in more because of it's low-end poor performing nature.

By saying there's a high turnover and that it needs to be slowed, OVH are suggesting most of the new servers are C-05G or their RPS. The time taken to set up all of these low-end servers is probably having a negative effect on the other servers offered. Last night was the fastest set up time I have seen in ages -- a couple of hours for the Q-1T.

Now, as for solutions, I don't think Oles or OVH are particularly interested in getting feedback and I doubt there will be little said to convince them otherwise. They know more about the situation than any of us and won't let on. Yes, the "abuse" is most probably a red herring.

Another solution could be to just remove the C-05G altogether. Then give access to these servers as they are available (e.g. not renewed) with no set up fee to existing customers. In this case OVH does not have to purchase more hardware, existing customers are happy with preferential treatment, OVH remain "open" about what's happening internally, while you get to focus on setting up the new servers.

HandsomeChap
08-12-2009, 10:27
Hello all, not bothered with forum until now :[

Can I propose new change to either:

Pay 3 months, 25% off setup fee
Pay 6 months, 50% off setup fee
Pay annual, no setup fee, hackers, etc, unlikely to pay for longer terms as as they know they wont get the use?

Or else as new customer, first server you buy you pay setup fee, after maybe 3 months being a customer you are deemed 'acceptable' by ovh and unlikely to be naughty, setup fee is waived/seriously discounted on further purchases.

PS oh how terrible it must be to have 5000 orders per month :P

turbanator
08-12-2009, 05:19
I see your point, but all people are pointing out is:

- English is really the international language to do business. You'll find very few companies that don't have an English translation of their website. For a company the size of OVH, well-translated, quick communications are vital.
- Oles has made some very bad decisions. As customers, we are telling him straight from the horse's mouth what he is doing wrong, why it is wrong and proposing alternatives.
Oles doesn't care about our views, opinions and suggestions, hence this is the reason i come here to see what other bad news we keep getting day by day..

the point of telling Oles is useless..he does what he wishes to...Unless and until there is a significant drop in the business or the revenue generated he will not care about few forum posts..This is solely regarding servers, set up fees and prices..other things regarding VMware and all that i can't speak for.

gigabit
08-12-2009, 01:27
I like the tag this topic has been given

Razakel
08-12-2009, 00:29
Quote Originally Posted by Paw-Fox
It's a French company, originating from France. If you were Russian you reckon you would want to speak in English? - So they have high setup-fee's. Move to a different host then. No one is stopping you. I signed up and happy with my kimsufi server.

People need to relise that it's a French company and the majority of posts from the staff will be in French. I have no problem with this, and while it "may" be a English there is no fixed rule stating that everything must be in proper English. - Their company, they can do what see fits.
I see your point, but all people are pointing out is:

- English is really the international language to do business. You'll find very few companies that don't have an English translation of their website. For a company the size of OVH, well-translated, quick communications are vital.
- Oles has made some very bad decisions. As customers, we are telling him straight from the horse's mouth what he is doing wrong, why it is wrong and proposing alternatives.

dansgalaxy
08-12-2009, 00:21
I disagree.

If a company is going to open a UK side of the company they should have it fully in English.

They have a UK company a UK office and a UK website, there-fore they should invest in having support and everything in English.

everwicked
08-12-2009, 00:21
Quote Originally Posted by Paw-Fox
Their company, they can do what see fits.
Yes, just as we can moan about it until they get it fixed.

The customer is always right. Whatever happened to that?

Oh and, if they are a French company and don't care about non-French business then they should shut down their UK branch and decline non-French-speaking customers.

I'm Greek. Now, do you see me coming in here speaking Greek? I'd love to see how much you'd pay me for my services if I were to do that. Language is a means to an end - communication. If you don't wish to communicate with someone then there is no reason to speak their language. If OVH does not want our business then sure, no need to get a freagin' translator. It'd cost 5 euros an hour to get a French student studying an English degree to do it.

Paw-Fox
07-12-2009, 23:15
Well OVH quotes being professional etc, they can't even issue a press release in proper english. It looks like it was converted with babelfish.
It's a French company, originating from France. If you were Russian you reckon you would want to speak in English? - So they have high setup-fee's. Move to a different host then. No one is stopping you. I signed up and happy with my kimsufi server.

People need to relise that it's a French company and the majority of posts from the staff will be in French. I have no problem with this, and while it "may" be a English there is no fixed rule stating that everything must be in proper English. - Their company, they can do what see fits.

RapidSpeeds
07-12-2009, 23:12
38 c-05G server ready within 1 hour. Watch them pile up!
That is a random number generator, I have been told by two OVH UK staff members - it is not a true representation of how many servers they have available within the hour, although with the new price structure, I expect them to have alot more than that available for release.

tallen
07-12-2009, 22:56
Well OVH quotes being professional etc, they can't even issue a press release in proper english. It looks like it was converted with babelfish.

38 c-05G server ready within 1 hour. Watch them pile up!

I thought lots of servers purchased would = lots of profit?
What's the big deal OVH? Just block 25 and the abuse and let use enjoy the servers!
you can buy a bomb
to attack the others IP.
Bomb? At least it made me laugh.

RapidSpeeds
07-12-2009, 21:31
Nice to know everyone is as outraged as I am about the set-up fee's...

Most 'valued' (or at least we should be) members seem to be looking elsewhere.

When you are finally ready to read the opinions of ovh regulars/enthusiasts, and not skim through the post let us know when your churn rate finally balances out, but bank balance decreases.

(example: Look how big Yahoo was until Google came along - different catagory, but same scenario)

I swear to you Octave, you are gonna bury OVH unless you re-think this. I really urge you to just block port 25, and if you are so concerned about your bank balance and reputation, put a minimum contract of 6months or people who already have servers, a discount on set-up fee's for additional servers.

There is a million ways you could have gone about this, but sadly, your current option just doesn't cut it

unclebob
07-12-2009, 19:05
> i just don't understand it.

easy to understand.

too much abus on the cheap servers. for < £29.99 you can buy a bomb
to attack the others IP. it costs nothing to create the problems
on the internet.

our prices aren't serieus. when you look on ovh.co.uk and elsewhere
you say "not enought expensive, it can't work for this price". with
£49.99 is more serieus. I say it because our HG 2010-10G is a big
succes. because it's now enought expensive. and the big firms buys
it.

as I told, we sell "too much" servers. you order too much servers
every month and the delay aren't good. ovh can't today propose you
5000 new servers each month. we can "only" 4000 servers. so we have
to put a small break on the sells. if we don't do it, our message
in decembre would be "sorry, no sell in decembre, sold out, please
back in january".

too much turnover because it costs nothing to change a server if
the IP is blacklisted. too much spam. too much work on our NOC.

in one word: ovh is a succes story. and we have to make the
difficult choose because our goal is to be here tomorrow
(and not just thinking about today).
I don't see why OVH need to force these new rules on established existing customers. We are not the ones abusing your services, yet we get the same treatment as those who are. Using a sledgehammer to crack a nut comes to mind...

dansgalaxy
07-12-2009, 17:41
I don't think the setup fees on the C05-G servers will last long. I bet OVH has seen it's orders fall off a cliff. I thought people ordering lots of servers was good? Maybe i'm wrong.
More servers = more profit? And if not, increase price per month not introduce a setup fee!!
Abuse can be resolved, people using for abuse won't be doing it on their own servers but compramised servers, which can be improved by e.g. stronger automated passwords.
Why not place a block on port 25 through OVH's routers, (SMTP - Mail for spam) unless you can provide a passport/ social security number/ NI Number some form of ID.
Any server outputting stupidly high numbers of packets (DDOS attacks) should be put offline?
These solutions aren't exactly rocket science.

I love the fact someone tagged this as fail!
Then again, OVH probably don't listed to customers from the UK, only from France.
Who's going to buy from OVH when they can't make their mind up with prices!?

Explain to me who in the world is going to pay £50, to have a RPS setup? WHY!?
All that's going to happen is OVH's staff are going to be overloaded with emails saying "Can you please let me off with the setup fees, i'm only a small business etc"

Its more like £58.73 after VAT!

So you end up paying £58.73 setup on a RPS which costs you £11.73 (after VAT)

tallen
07-12-2009, 17:15
I don't think the setup fees on the C05-G servers will last long. I bet OVH has seen it's orders fall off a cliff. I thought people ordering lots of servers was good? Maybe i'm wrong.
More servers = more profit? And if not, increase price per month not introduce a setup fee!!
Abuse can be resolved, people using for abuse won't be doing it on their own servers but compramised servers, which can be improved by e.g. stronger automated passwords.
Why not place a block on port 25 through OVH's routers, (SMTP - Mail for spam) unless you can provide a passport/ social security number/ NI Number some form of ID.
Any server outputting stupidly high numbers of packets (DDOS attacks) should be put offline?
These solutions aren't exactly rocket science.

I love the fact someone tagged this as fail!
Then again, OVH probably don't listed to customers from the UK, only from France.
Who's going to buy from OVH when they can't make their mind up with prices!?

Explain to me who in the world is going to pay £50, to have a RPS setup? WHY!?
All that's going to happen is OVH's staff are going to be overloaded with emails saying "Can you please let me off with the setup fees, i'm only a small business etc"

Myatu
07-12-2009, 14:53
The one under this post

dansgalaxy
07-12-2009, 14:41
What Tag?

Myatu
07-12-2009, 14:34
I like the tag...

dansgalaxy
07-12-2009, 13:06
Completely agree with the above.

Low prices don't make you look unprofessional so long as you can prove your quality.

People only look at cheap prices and think oo thats not good when they see some crappy site offering unlimited hosting for a few quid a month because they know its good chance that the company wont be in business long and probs just out to make a quick buck.

But you have cheap prices, get people to sign up for low end packages to give you a try, give them good support and great quality service and product and soon enough they will be upgrading and telling others to use your services. And as we should all know no amount of good advertising can beat a great review from a friend...

everwicked
07-12-2009, 13:00
I will agree that trying to prevent abuse and lack of resources by introducing a high setup free is... well, silly.

You want to prevent abuse? Introduce a minimum, prepay-able term for low-end servers for people who have never bought from you i.e. make them pay for 3 months in advance. Give customers that have been with you for a few months and have caused no problems the £0 setup fee!

You get more orders than you can deal with? Expand! Hire more people - or tell us all your servers are SOLD OUT! That means people want your servers at a faster rate than you can supply them! That makes you more valuable. Even heard anyone complain about waiting for say more tickets on a sold-out event?

People don't take you seriously because of your low prices? Be more professional man! Hire someone that will translate all your posts from French to English, post testimonials on your website, case studies - tell other companies what other companies use you and are happy!

Come on, I'm giving you pearls here... either hire me or give me a HG-2010 free for a year!

RapidSpeeds
07-12-2009, 07:49

easy to understand.

on the internet.

it.

back in january".

1) This is exactly what happens when you offer a good service for a cheap price, you will not be the first company it's happened to, and you certainly won't be the last.

2) I know your prices are not serious, because they are a joke!

3) Penetration rate is a good thing, you must be the first company I have ever heard moaning about new customers (why don't you do what most people in your position would do, and expand the business)

4) My heart bleeds for you Oles... seems like you are running away from your responsibility as a good host - You only give one IP (most other companies offer several) - I mean you own several ranges, 94.23.*, 91.121.* 213.251.* so if you were using octets with all eight bits set - add upto 765,765 available Blocks of IPs - You say you have to block a few 'bad apples' out of a network that big? So what...

elvis1
07-12-2009, 03:38
> from their site:
> FREE setup
>
> Pay annually - Save £49 (+VAT)
> + Get an extra month free!
>
> This is what you should be doing, OVH.

it's what we propose. I didn't say it ? I will announce it tomorrow.
thats the attitude that made you able to have 601 Gbit/s. not the: excuse-moi? what is that?

You can be aggressive and have the weapons to be aggressive, why choose not to be?

elvis1
07-12-2009, 03:35
Myatu a écrit:
>
> oles@ovh.net;24573 Wrote:
>> our prices aren't serieus. ... I say it because our HG 2010-10G is a big
>> succes. because it's now enought expensive. and the big firms buys it.

>
> That sounds like OVH is suffering a personality disorder, Oles. Who do
> you want to be the customer? Just be clear of that from the start, so
> people know! Because as it is now, you first attract the SMEs - the
> small guys - and now you're dissing them in favor of "big firms". Which
> is it? Please do let us know, so we know where we stand as well with
> OVH's future.

the question is not "who", but "how much new customers /month".
the answer is 4000. not 5000 like now.
Oh I see : having 1000 ''servers'' . Most of are desktops used by servers as you dont have RPS ( redundant power supplies) , any special feature which makes them be a server ( other than the OS) or the type of usage.

Not being able to assemble 1thousand ( extra) servers it's lame ( more when you have the clients knocking at your door and pulling your costs down)

elvis1
07-12-2009, 03:29
oh, I see.. you sell way too much and cheap stuff aint ''serieus''?

I would go then the reasonable way you propose: I would bury your customers ( specially those who help for free to the so called irritant clients) and go for the big sh ?

You can't train 20 guys to assemble hardware or you create your own gulftown cpu's in your super labs for instance?

My question is: are you being serious? or had you been having lots of champagne? its a semi serious question ( I can't believe how you are now contradicting yourself). How? well: you stated abuses to be the main reason when now we know you dont want to spend your forces into assembling cheap sh and give prioritization to the big bossiness men .

If that is your attitude, you are digging your own grave. How? Like Robert Marsh when he decided to go the SCO route instead of giving linux any priority ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO-Linux_controversies) which led later on on having his company being bought and him being kicked off. BAd decisions are what will make you be somewhere you don't want to be.

You say you want to expand to the US? Provide them the support you give at this moment and the type of answers you provide us and you will understand what Freddie Mercury said when he said: another one ''bytes'' the dust :P

oles@ovh.net
07-12-2009, 01:38
Myatu a écrit:
>
> oles@ovh.net;24573 Wrote:
>> our prices aren't serieus. ... I say it because our HG 2010-10G is a big
>> succes. because it's now enought expensive. and the big firms buys it.

>
> That sounds like OVH is suffering a personality disorder, Oles. Who do
> you want to be the customer? Just be clear of that from the start, so
> people know! Because as it is now, you first attract the SMEs - the
> small guys - and now you're dissing them in favor of "big firms". Which
> is it? Please do let us know, so we know where we stand as well with
> OVH's future.

the question is not "who", but "how much new customers /month".
the answer is 4000. not 5000 like now.

oles@ovh.net
07-12-2009, 01:38
> from their site:
> FREE setup
>
> Pay annually - Save £49 (+VAT)
> + Get an extra month free!
>
> This is what you should be doing, OVH.

it's what we propose. I didn't say it ? I will announce it tomorrow.

lukus001
07-12-2009, 00:57
on the internet.
And how many issues do you have in regards to stolen credit cards / hacked accounts? The only thing I could see happening is instead of buying a server direct with you they will buy a server from a reseller who may simply add £5 per month to cover the setup costs, therefore abusers get a server for £15 per month instead of £10.

Not much of a put off is it? and you simply make resellers take on your burden too...

it.
I find this a bit hard to understand, I'm interpreting this as 'Users don't take us seriously because of our low prices'?

I'd have to agree and say most people, given the history of cheap hosting may be reluctant in the quality of service for such low prices, especially when you look at the RPS1.

However, a setup fee does not actually make you look more professional or a better business - it's a fee that is hard to justify and the fact is, it's called a set-up fee for a reason, actually saying you're increasing /adding a setup fee to 'put abusers off from purchasing' classifys that as false advertising.

Saying you build all servers to spec, putting them into racks, setting them all up to the network on need by need basis and justifying the set prices against what work is actuall carried out, thats a real setup fee and it should be consitant to all packages since servers do not vary much.

Now you sell a 2core for £49pm, and an 8core for £269, fasthost (http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicatedservers/) sell them for £59 and £209...

Both of you exclude VAT, both have 100Mb lines. I can't say when i looked at fasthost year(s) ago that they were very reliable, but they are competing against you in terms of price /spec and, as far as i know they are located in the uk - which is more expensive than in france i would presume.

from their site:
FREE setup

Pay annually - Save £49 (+VAT)
+ Get an extra month free!

This is what you should be doing, OVH. And why arnt Fasthost complaining of abuse with similar services /prices?

edit: yes yes, im using OVH prices not kimsurfi

back in january".
Increasing costs to reduce sale is not a solution.

If you have supply issues naturally the main solution is to meet those demands.

Secondaly, you are forcing less sale on purpose, i.e. want to turn people away since you can't meet with demands - If this is the case give priority to exisintg /loyal customers and turn away new ones. The setup fee 'method' is no differernt to this, i.e. you will get the same ammount of sales /people turning away but more initial investment, it's therefore obvious why it has been implimented.

dansgalaxy
07-12-2009, 00:45

easy to understand.

on the internet.

it.

back in january".

Hmm Is it just me that things that post full of spelling mistakes and typos and posted as a guest is someone who isn't actually Oles?

Myatu
07-12-2009, 00:17
our prices aren't serieus. ... I say it because our HG 2010-10G is a big succes. because it's now enought expensive. and the big firms buys it.
That sounds like OVH is suffering a personality disorder, Oles. Who do you want to be the customer? Just be clear of that from the start, so people know! Because as it is now, you first attract the SMEs - the small guys - and now you're dissing them in favor of "big firms". Which is it? Please do let us know, so we know where we stand as well with OVH's future.

oles@ovh.net
06-12-2009, 23:54

easy to understand.

on the internet.

it.

back in january".

everwicked
06-12-2009, 22:28
dansgalaxy, that puts things in perspective.

I hope OVH will come forth with a statement about this sometime - or we can keep ranting, whatever!

Myatu
06-12-2009, 21:38
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
I've also noticed uk2.net are offering 10TB traffic now
One word, if it's actually a word: EWWWWWWWW!

Go wash your mouth!

dansgalaxy
06-12-2009, 21:21
I just read this whole thread and still can't get over this... a £9.99 RPS... has £49.99 setup :O :O :O

WTF!

Seriously I mean thinking about this logically *IF* the setup fee is really to cover the costs etc for the hit and runners, then surely the setup fee should be about 1 weeks worth? (The time which the server is unusable when someone stops paying?)

So for example, you order a £100 server, you pay the £100 + £25 setup fee, then if they leave after one or two months the £25 covers that week after when the server is hanging around.

Now that, would make sense.

Surely the whole point of the lower down products like the RPS machines is so people buy cheap, decide if they like OVH as a supplier and are then more willing to pay out more money?

Now everything has a £49.99 + fee straight off I can't see myself buying another thing off them because that simply isn't feasible.

DigitalDaz
06-12-2009, 14:29
I've also noticed uk2.net are offering 10TB traffic now

unclebob
06-12-2009, 13:27
Very interesting. The only thing preventing me from switching today is the lack of information regarding additional IP addresses. I've sent them an email, so hopefully I'll hear back soon. They look a hell of a lot more flexible than OVH though.

Razakel
06-12-2009, 13:06
I'm not sure, but I recall seeing that they only sell to France. But it can't be impossible to create a French shell corporation.

Might be worth getting some network details first, though.

tallen
06-12-2009, 11:46
Many other good alternatives out there, Cheaper than OVH, no setup fees.
OVH! Improve your service!

RapidSpeeds
06-12-2009, 10:59
I wonder how many C-05g & RPS Orders they have had now...

And is it just me, or when you drop the price of an i7 to make it look more attractive to the customer, should you not have it in stock (i7-4T/6T)?

And last but not least, I still can't get over this set-up fee... It needs to be dropped to £19.99 + VAT - Same price as the server is worth - that's 100% profit before the customer has even used the server.

That's how insurance works (I know renting a server isn't the same as insurance, but it's still a legal binding contract) - you can't insurure your car for 250% what it's worth, or your house for that matter, because you have heard the saying, I maybe be taking it out of it's original context a little, but 'you get what you pay for' - with a 1.2GHz old stock processor, for £58.74 + £23.49 (incl. tax), that is certainly not the case.

elvis1
03-12-2009, 20:58
# No Bandwidth Overages
# 100 Mbps Inbound Included

gigabit
03-12-2009, 20:49
Know any other US hosts with 100mbit unmetered? I couldn't find any... My "CDN" is a bit unbalanced atm being all in Europe... i mean all in OVH

elvis1
03-12-2009, 20:44
I know hyperVM ( had suffered the attack when I was at vaserv). I know Ligesh being the Indian in charge of lxlabs commited suicide.

Fact is that how can you beat a 3.95 per month offer? Added to that I have a 3 months free in the whole year.

I suppose that they have already patched the bug.

Also: consider that vaserv's hack has been discussed if it was due to lack of security in HyperVM per se or if admin had used silly passwords and default SSH port

Myatu
03-12-2009, 16:06
@elvis: Keep in mind thenynoc.com uses hypervm. It has (had) major security issues. So major that when it was exposed (and caused the closure of 2 vps providers), the guy who made it committed suicide (no kidding, just google "hypervm ligesh").

@turbanator: I like netrackservers.com - I trust Canadians more Apparently they're using Cogent's DC, which is fine apart from the high latency, but I got a really odd tracert:

Code:
10  te3-2.mpd01.yyz01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.5.81)  106.227 ms  106.302 ms  106.424 ms
11  vl3569.na21.b010946-0.yyz01.atlas.cogentco.com (38.20.34.142)  112.660 ms  112.066 ms  112.392 ms
12  ontario-pension-board.demarc.cogentco.com (38.104.156.98)  112.577 ms  112.743 ms  126.716 ms
13  www.netrackservers.com (38.99.180.6)  112.630 ms  111.715 ms  111.759 ms
Ontario Pension Board?! Wait, servers are run by retired hamsters?

elvis1
03-12-2009, 01:04
nice deal . I have apart from burst a box from http://thenynoc.com/ and used to have one from fsckvps.com which worked pretty good

turbanator
03-12-2009, 00:57
www.netrackservers.com i found them on webhostingtalk.com giving out 100mbit unmetered servers Windows no extra charge lowest end was 99 dollars..they say there nodes are shared with 10-15 servers a month so expect 5TB average BW every month..never tested it out tho

unclebob
02-12-2009, 22:41
My latest project will be hosted at http://www.rackspacecloud.com/ and I've heard good things about http://www.intovps.com/

turbanator
02-12-2009, 22:29
is perfect for 100Mbit connections unmetered..yeah they have set up fees but there hardware is much better on the lowest end than the celeron crap..

burst.net is good too..there customer service is slow tho..but there prices are reasonable..lol to be honest Leaseweb looks like a viable option now on the lower end servers :P considering u can live with there 4TB BW a month

IainK
02-12-2009, 06:40
If OVH do not sort out these setup fees, especially for customers that have been with them for a long time, then I will have to find a new provider. It really is that simple.

Having been a customer for > 18 months I don't see why I have to pay a setup fee when the reason they are giving is to deter abuse. If I was going to abuse the network i would have done it already!

And if I ever found any of my customers causing abuse of any kind they would be cut off quicker than you could say 'your gone'.

elvis1
02-12-2009, 04:06
forgot to mention that agaiinst our beloved professor myatu they use supermicro boards and NON bakers shelf.. still scranton though :P

elvis1
02-12-2009, 04:04
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
Massive Oversell.

they own their own DC, hardware, etc. their network speeds are sweet ( I've pushed lots of gigs through them). its just a proof of concept of how bad ovh is being handled and how could rocket launch easily (world wide) instead of diggin its own grave

freshwire
02-12-2009, 02:47
CPU: 1GHZ, RAM: 512MB, DISKSPACE: 20GB, BANDWIDTH: 1000GB/MONTH
Massive Oversell.

elvis1
02-12-2009, 01:21
Quote Originally Posted by Ashley
look pretty good.

Bandwith sucks though.
for small requirements I am using burst.net :

VPS #1 (Virtual Private Server) - vePortal - CPU: 1GHZ, RAM: 512MB, DISKSPACE: 20GB, BANDWIDTH: 1000GB/MONTH

for 4.95 US bucks you can't say its bad.

yes, they have that price when payed a year upfront or 5.95 on month to month. No champagne sht, discounts when paying a year upfront, NO setup fees. they even offer a 25 % off for resellers. Not to mention that they give a sh wether you are from North Korea, Trinidad y Tobado, just want your money ( as normal businesses ) as long as you dont abuse their servers.

Of course I have no affiliation with them in any sense. with that stupid 49 euros fee you will have your iscsi san array buried within some months from now. turn over? yes, you will have an enormous turn over?

reasons? old clients dont last all you want. reasons? No need to have the RPS to play anymore ( thats the word you say when you refer to RPS: play), no money, get better deals for their needs,, get tired of reading in French, etc, etc.

After gradually loosing your old clients ( which you did not offer any significant year rebate despite them being loyal) no one will pay you the 49 euros (no matter if they are spammers or no spammers ).

Euan
01-12-2009, 23:14
also

Ashley
01-12-2009, 23:08
Too much champagne? Anyone else been looking around other hosters recently?
look pretty good.

Bandwith sucks though.

everwicked
01-12-2009, 23:06
That definitely takes away the main competitive advantage of OVH over other providers: low cost!

gigabit
01-12-2009, 22:30
Too much champagne? Anyone else been looking around other hosters recently?

unclebob
01-12-2009, 22:27
Quote Originally Posted by Euan
Your surprised?
Yeah, I am. OVH are usually pretty good about taking our opinions into account.

Euan
01-12-2009, 22:22
Your surprised?

unclebob
01-12-2009, 22:20
Wow. They ignored everyone and actually went through with it.

dima1236
01-12-2009, 21:53
OVH is killing business with this setup fees, especially for low end machines,
why the heck pay setup fee for of old hardware ? (Celeron 1.2ghz)
i just don't understand it.

RapidSpeeds
01-12-2009, 21:05
at least i7 set-up fee have came down a little...