OVH Community, your new community space.

Value added by resellers?

dansgalaxy
05-12-2009, 18:21
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
Ah no no this strategy will not work for OVH. What they need to do is have a cloning machine that clones a monkey and gives it away free with every server. It would be nice also if this monkey can do server admin stuff
Thats not a bad idea...

Can have the little monkey fix my server quicker than the self repair when i am out getting rather drunk... lol works for me! :L

"Monkey has detected a defect, monkey pushed the reboot... all's good." lol

freshwire
04-12-2009, 20:33
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
OVH's server are all unmanaged, meaning you get the box and you get a shell prompt. And off you go.
Ah no no this strategy will not work for OVH. What they need to do is have a cloning machine that clones a monkey and gives it away free with every server. It would be nice also if this monkey can do server admin stuff

dansgalaxy
04-12-2009, 19:00
Ah pretty much my thoughts

Really need to pull my finger out and get my new site up and running and all shiny

Myatu
04-12-2009, 18:57
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
The goal of marketing is to be as dishonest as possible without actually lying.
I'm going to put this on a poster and hang it on the office wall.

Anyway, dansgalaxy, look into managed servers. OVH's server are all unmanaged, meaning you get the box and you get a shell prompt. And off you go.

So where you come in as a reseller is that a lot of people realize that a dedicated server will help their high traffic website (and for those who don't realize this, you can hone your sales skills on).

But they simply don't have the skills or can't afford a full time in-house sysadmin. So they need someone to help them transfer their existing website, install and maintain software, do security checks, monitor the uptime, recommend tech stuff, etc.

That's what the added value will be.

gigabit
04-12-2009, 17:28
Quote Originally Posted by dansgalaxy
Don't you dare curse at me!!! 1and1 are evil!!

Absolutely despicable company!
Agreed

dansgalaxy
04-12-2009, 17:05
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
To be honest, I don't think many people have actually heard of OVH. There's your marketing opportunity.

Do what 1&1 does - don't actually mention where the servers but give the impression it's in the UK. :P
Don't you dare curse at me!!! 1and1 are evil!!

Absolutely despicable company!

IainK
04-12-2009, 16:50
Did you pull that straight off a notice board inside OVH HQ, Razakel?

Razakel
04-12-2009, 16:43
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
I will agree that 90% ish of the customers will want to use the servers because they can't order from OVH themselves.
But if the customer is aware that the network connection isn't going to be pulling 100mbit to their homes, and will be limited amount of traffic, then I don't see the problem
The goal of marketing is to be as dishonest as possible without actually lying.

IainK
04-12-2009, 16:40
I will agree that 90% ish of the customers will want to use the servers because they can't order from OVH themselves.
But if the customer is aware that the network connection isn't going to be pulling 100mbit to their homes, and will be limited amount of traffic, then I don't see the problem

Razakel
04-12-2009, 16:35
Quote Originally Posted by dansgalaxy
Hmm ok, well as my site is mainly aimed at UK clients I might need to try a different tack lol

Either that or I am tempted to setup another site maybe :/
To be honest, I don't think many people have actually heard of OVH. There's your marketing opportunity.

Do what 1&1 does - don't actually mention where the servers but give the impression it's in the UK. :P

dansgalaxy
03-12-2009, 22:45
Hmm ok, well as my site is mainly aimed at UK clients I might need to try a different tack lol

Either that or I am tempted to setup another site maybe :/

slayer2005
03-12-2009, 22:35
Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpeeds
lol
Yhea he has a point,i wouldnt say 99% but yes the mojority of them.

RapidSpeeds
03-12-2009, 22:28
Quote Originally Posted by Akd
99% of the people you resell to will most likely just be buying from you because OVH don't sell to their countries.
lol

Akd
03-12-2009, 17:16
99% of the people you resell to will most likely just be buying from you because OVH don't sell to their countries.

dansgalaxy
03-12-2009, 16:25
Ok, so bottom line is adding support to the servers.

=]

AdamD
03-12-2009, 16:23
To be honest, I see little point going with a reseller unless you want management of your server
But, with the increased cost per month, it'd probably be better to go with a third party company who have proven credentials/experience, not to mention guarantees and monitoring of your server.

slayer2005
03-12-2009, 16:21
Ive found mainly because new server users dont no and are a little worried having to setup there server having never used one before.Then theres the surport at first when asking how do i do this,how do i do that.
Yes most people like learning and experimenting until they do no what there doing,but some people just want everything all done for them so they dont have to worry.

IainK
03-12-2009, 14:49
I'm going to be offering a variety of support packages from free basic support on everything including software installation/configuration to feature complete fully managed solutions whereby everything from security configuration to kernel updates are taken care of promptly every time.

I will also be adding functionality on top of the OVH manager such as scripts that will login to the servers via SSH keys and issue commands to install software, setup firewalls, automatically add IP addresses as they are issued etc.

Basically making the whole thing a lot easier for the user that doesn't want a completely unmanaged service, but doesn't want to pay the earth for it.

dansgalaxy
03-12-2009, 14:48
Same! Although it depends if the reseller can make it worth the extra...

Which is what i want to see, if the other resellers think they add to it.

freshwire
03-12-2009, 14:45
I will never buy from a reseller unless the reseller is cheaper

dansgalaxy
03-12-2009, 14:43
Hi,

Firstly, lets be clear I also plan on being a reseller of OVH (once i launch my improved site will have pretty much every product ovh offers on there )

But I would like to get other resellers thoughts on what they add to the OVH product, to make it worth the increased cost the end user pays (obviously where most resellers bump up the price by 10-20 to make money )

But what do you add to make it worth that? Basically why should end users go to you instead of direct to OVH?

Dan