OVH Community, your new community space.

200mbps upload + SP range (fr servers)

gigabit
05-12-2009, 12:24
Yeh, when they did that on the UK site there was much confusion here too...

Loke
05-12-2009, 11:21
well i am truly sorry that i don't have that kind of money so i can just get a 'more powerful' server and not think about it.

Anyway it's your opinions, i asked for them and i respect them.

@gigabit yea about the 100mbit NIC, i was referring to that when i said i should have read a bit more carefully the page, though as you can probably see i still feel that it's a bad move from ovh fr

freshwire
04-12-2009, 21:35
and a 110 euro / month server ain't that cheap ..
Your right! My server cost me 4 pens and a rubber

gigabit
04-12-2009, 18:29
The "description of the server" is a 100mbit NIC, which you'll get. Nothing wrong there.

Each customer is allowed 200mbit upload, doesnt mean you HAVE to get it on every server. They are lower spec servers on purpose, spend more and get more.

Loke
04-12-2009, 18:21
where did i say i want a 1 gbps ? i said they can keep the internal and internet to ovh con to 100mbps but just let me get the 200mbps upload that i am supposed to get for what i am paying. and a 110 euro / month server ain't that cheap ..

ovh is really good yea, i am not asking for more, i am asking for what i am supposed to get according to the description of the server.

Andy
04-12-2009, 11:38
You get what you pay for. You can't expect 1Gbps for a cheapo server. OVH have to have incentives to upgrade somewhere, and that 1Gbps is just that.

France have totally different offers to the subsidiaries because that is where OVH was founded. Oles gives them different offers because he doesn't sell as many servers there as he does to other countries. He also likes to give them more and they don't seem to abuse it as much. Therefore he can afford to give them unmetered bandwidth and 200Mbps upload etc.

OVH's prices are very very good for the specs you get anyway. I challenge you to find other data centers that offer similar specs for the price that OVH does, with the same connectivity etc. You'll be very hard pushed.

Loke
04-12-2009, 01:56
@Myatu
I did say this is about the fr servers and that i ll probably make a thread there but want to see what the users here think about it.
Also i wrote how the bandwidth is divided according to how many servers you got, but thx for noting it.
24/7 ? no. 150+ for some hours per 1-2 days ? yes

bottom of line is that, i am supposed to be able to use 200mbps (says so on infrastructure link and on the description of the server ) and if i use my kimsufi i can hit that ( regarding the BW lying around ) but for what i want to do i need just 1 server. Having a 2nd won't help me and it does increase the cost.

So it's not like i am requesting something more that what is provided, just want to get what i am paying for, at least that's how i see it, i might be wrong ..

@ elvis1 i know what u mean, when i asked for more hd space cause i want to have my data backed up with raid, they told me to get a server with more hd .... which means from 2x500 going to 4x1500 ... and 45 % more costs ...

now they ll probably tell me get a EG / MG max server .. just for the 1gbps card ?? that's about 250% from what i was paying ...

elvis1
04-12-2009, 00:43
@ Myatu: I could perfectly use the 33 TB if I got the possibility :P ( of course I would need proper hardware)

elvis1
04-12-2009, 00:40
Quote Originally Posted by Loke
Well before taking it to the fr forum, thought i ll ask here see what the staff and other users think.

The fr superplan servers give 200mbps upload per infrastructure ( 1 server = 200mbps, 2 servers = 100mbps each etc ).

http://www.ovh.com/fr/produits/superplan_storage.xml

So i thought (yes i should have read more carefully, but when i see ovh to internet 200mbps what should i understand? ) that if i have 1 server as it says i ll get the full 200mbps. Sadly as it seems the sp servers got 100mbps cards so even if i have 1 server i won't be able to pass that 100mbps limit.
I believe that this is unfair ( would describe it otherwise but let's be polite ) and the logical thing would be that that card is upgraded even if they have to lock the internal and internet to ovh speeds to 100mbps. I mean i can't just upgrade to a HG or EG server ( those cost too damn much and don't have enough space for me ) just to be able to use the 200mbps upload which i am entitled to in the first place.

Feel free to correct me if i got something wrong, or if u simply disagree.
I think situation is as you depicted it. Sadly ''this is it'' ( like M jackson's movie) or as oles would say c ' est la vie mon ami .
It makes no sense as it does not make sense when I asked to have 1 gbit cards ( just for OVH to OVH ) and I ve been told I could have a determined server which did happen to have such a card ( it was tremendously expensive )

forgot: champagne?

Myatu
04-12-2009, 00:35
That's completely out of our area -- it's for France. They do a lot of things different over there, like eat snails - you're not going to say *that* is unfair, are you?

One thing to remember is that this 200 Mbps is the maximum for *all* the (French) customer's servers combined. So one or two servers would be capable of churning out traffic at maximum speed. Add more, and it'll be reduced - per server (I think the minimum OVH guarantees is 20 Mbps per server).

Also keep in mind that bandwidth just doesn't lay around. For example, most UK peers will sell at £3-5 per Mbps if you can commit to a minimum of 1 Gbps per month - that's £3000-5000 per month. ChtIX (= OVH) will sell at €1000 for 1 Gbps per month.

But still, that's €100 per month if you were to use every single bit of your 100 Mbps. To keep costs low, most hosting companies assume you'll never use 100 Mbps continuously (do you *really* use 32.40 TBytes per month?) and can therefore reduce the price (cost shifting). Others introduce a monthly maximum or reduced speeds.

So, are you really going to use 100 Mbps 24/7?

Loke
03-12-2009, 23:12
Well before taking it to the fr forum, thought i ll ask here see what the staff and other users think.

The fr superplan servers give 200mbps upload per infrastructure ( 1 server = 200mbps, 2 servers = 100mbps each etc ).

http://www.ovh.com/fr/produits/superplan_storage.xml

So i thought (yes i should have read more carefully, but when i see ovh to internet 200mbps what should i understand? ) that if i have 1 server as it says i ll get the full 200mbps. Sadly as it seems the sp servers got 100mbps cards so even if i have 1 server i won't be able to pass that 100mbps limit.
I believe that this is unfair ( would describe it otherwise but let's be polite ) and the logical thing would be that that card is upgraded even if they have to lock the internal and internet to ovh speeds to 100mbps. I mean i can't just upgrade to a HG or EG server ( those cost too damn much and don't have enough space for me ) just to be able to use the 200mbps upload which i am entitled to in the first place.

Feel free to correct me if i got something wrong, or if u simply disagree.