OVH Community, your new community space.

OVH shutdown policy

Neil
07-12-2009, 09:40
Hi

We will normally just null route the FailOver IP, however it depends on the attack being performed and some times it is the Host OS that has been comprised.

The problem is with null routing the IP is that the owner of the server sometimes just gives the OS a new ip and does not even check what the original problem was.

elvis1
07-12-2009, 04:00
Quote Originally Posted by gigabit
I'm hoping that with this new MAC/IP system for VMs when OVH detect abuse they could look to see if that IP was assigned to a VM etc, and just block/disconnect that IP which would then leave the rest of the server running fine.
that would be very handy but they could argue that account to be a make up

elvis1
07-12-2009, 03:58
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
Also what if one person just hammered your bandwidth quota for the month?

you can cap a max transfer quota and lock the account unless he pays ( warn him beforehand or place that data in the TOS)

gigabit
05-12-2009, 18:43
I'm hoping that with this new MAC/IP system for VMs when OVH detect abuse they could look to see if that IP was assigned to a VM etc, and just block/disconnect that IP which would then leave the rest of the server running fine.

dansgalaxy
05-12-2009, 18:28
Hmm this doesn't sound good... :/

Damn it OVH, why do you have to be so good at 1 thing, but so incredible crap at everything else

Euan
04-12-2009, 22:12
Most hosts will alert you to the problem and give you time to resolve it - obviously if its a ddos they will simply disable access to the IP that is sending out the spam.

What OVH does is they shut down the server put it into an FTP only mode and then proceed to tell you to back up all your data using ftp ( meaning you have to download it to your home computer (lol) ) and reinstall the server and then upload it.

I spent 20+ hours fighting with them to get them to re-enable it after I promised that I had looked through the logs to find the issue. And outdated Joomla script on a customers website was exploited and some form of bot net was attached to abuse someone elses server - it hit about 8mbps for 30 seconds OVH shut it down and demanded I reinstall 1 hours later with no prior notice.

Whats even more strange after posting that, is they suggest you reinstall and then restore backups. As backups are daily 99.9% of the time it will be infected also so its completely pointless and they will shut it down the next time it happens.

Basically dont run hosting on OVH it will just end badly unless you plan on monitoring every customers scripts which is just not possible.

lukus001
04-12-2009, 21:26
I thought it was pretty common for a server caught abusing to be suspended, this is one of the risks associated with reselling and no one is stopping you from putting in your own measures to stop it before OVH has to get involved.

In some respects, even on a fualty script could cause a bit of minor spam which might get you shut down ruining your own service (i.e. non reseller server), which may seem a bit harsh, but then again that script could of crashed /bogged your own server down so why let it affect other OVH customers?

If you are reselling you need to have 24 hour access, if you don't you need a managed hosting /reseller otherwise there is still the risk of server failure and coming back from your day job after a server has been dead for 8 hours is worse than OVH shutting a server down for abuse.

If you are therefore at hand, create a program to check the perforamance of all your servers, if one is acting strange investigate it, you'll prob stop abuse faster than OVH and have much better customers overall.

There use to be a program somewhere to monitor your servers, to see cpu, memory etc. usage, a must for reseling imo.

Euan
04-12-2009, 20:49
They would, ovh is a really ****ty place to do web hosting, i had to move my host off it because of their insane policies when it comes to these things.

gigabit
04-12-2009, 20:45
My fear is that they turn things off without warning, and affecting other customers.

Euan
04-12-2009, 20:20
If you prove its running a VPS ie its on a different IP than the main IP address then they arent that bothered and will reactivate it if im not mistaken. They might have changed the rules.

DigitalDaz
04-12-2009, 19:52
Also what if one person just hammered your bandwidth quota for the month?

gigabit
04-12-2009, 19:36
What is OVHs shutdown policy regarding naughty servers?

I was thinking of buying some servers and chucking VMWare onto them and selling those slots out etc. What if a customer had evil intentions and bought a VPS from me then started DoSing or spamming or whatever and OVH caught it - what is the normal way of handling things? Will you warn me, shut down the server straight away or shutdown all servers I have (seen this happening before?). I would be using the new MAC feature to give machines their own IPs, so you could see that its a VM and could be a problem unknown to the actual person who owns the server.

Obviously I cant do anything other than tell customers not to be nasty, I cant install monitoring software on their machines - and i dont think I can browse virtual hard disks outside the VM?

If youre still doing the "1 naughty act we shut you down" method then I'll look elsewhere, but if not then yay