OVH Community, your new community space.

[URGENT] Cannot install ubuntu-desktop, need help

makno
18-12-2009, 16:29
the main problem i encoutered with virtualbox was that the ovh kernel is not modular so i had to rebuild a kernel with module support, simply by downloading the kernel i wanted from kernel.org buolding it and adding it to lilo, reboot and voilą

Lorke
18-12-2009, 05:20
I've solved the problem. If you need help with the followings, I might be able to help you since I've went through 8 days since I bought OVH and now I am starting to make some real use of my new server.

- installing Ubuntu Desktop (light version, only 800 programs installed)
- installing VirtualBox

If enough people PM, I might think about writing a how-to since the how-to which I used but similar to VirtualBox installation was not exactly what I did to get VirtualBox installed (I tried exactly once and it didn't work), so it's a going to be useful.

Thank you all.

Myatu
13-12-2009, 10:35
virtualbox-ose-source is indeed the source code, which you really don't need unless you are planning to program and make custom modifications to Virtualbox.

As for the "vboxusers" group, it should already have been created as part of the installation. Nevertheless, normally spoken you click System > Administration > Users and Groups, followed by clicking Manage Groups and then adding a new group called "vboxusers". Then following (nearly) the same procedure, you can add users to this group (who can then use Virtualbox).

With NX in place, some of may not work (ie, add group button is disabled). So instead, click Applications > Accessories > Terminal (look familiar? ). Now you can add the group with the command:

Code:
sudo addgroup vboxusers
To add users to this group, use "sudo adduser vboxusers", so for example:

Code:
sudo adduser lorke vboxusers
That's it.

Lorke
13-12-2009, 09:17
Thanks, I've installed it but now the virtualbox-ose-source is giving me headaches.

Code:
E: virtualbox-ose-source: subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
If I'm not mistaken, I think it's the source files mostly for developers. Do I need it? I mean do I need it to work properly?

EDIT: I don't think I will find the vboxusers (whatever thing that you have to add in "Users and Groups") until I get that virtualbox-ose-source fixed.

Myatu
13-12-2009, 07:28
Virtualbox can be found as "virtualbox-ose-qt" (which will install the virtualbox base and the QT manager). You should be able to find it through the manager, otherwise simply do a "sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose-qt" from the terminal.

Lorke
13-12-2009, 03:09
I installed grub-pc.

I cannot find VirtualBox in the repositories anymore. I'm using Synaptic Package Manager.

freshwire
13-12-2009, 02:31
Looks more like missing update-grub? Which makes less sense to me atm than kernel problem.

Try to install grub then try it.

Lorke
13-12-2009, 00:46
haha, @ "cannot touch wife".

By the way, I am not sure if a topic can hold more than 1 question but I don't want to create another topic of just my problems.

I am wondering if the following errors are because of the OVH's custom kernel. I would like to know before I go on and find a tutorial to follow to recompile my kernel and mess up again.

also virtualbox-ose-source will stick at the very end of the error to if I try to install VirtualBox. These errors happen after installation of some apps. What might be causing it?

Myatu
11-12-2009, 09:30
Yes, Linux has its way with words. You can have a complete conversation with it if you wanted to:

Code:
$ whatis
whatis what?
$ whatis this
this: nothing appropriate.
$ man that
No manual entry for that
$ if true; then whoami; fi
root
$ clear this up, please
Or, in case you try to mess with someone else's stuff:

Code:
$ touch wife
touch: cannot touch `wife': Permission denied
(in this case a file )

Lorke
11-12-2009, 04:22
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
Because there is no display to show the text editor on. You should used a terminal based text editor such as nano.

Code:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
Lol, yes. You are so right! I don't have GUI yet! I could have understood it if the error was more like
Code:
There is not GUI installed to display
wordings ... wordings ...

freshwire
11-12-2009, 04:15
Because there is no display to show the text editor on. You should used a terminal based text editor such as nano.

Code:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Lorke
11-12-2009, 03:47
Ok (about the sudo reboot).

I get this error
Code:
root@XXXXX:~# gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

(gksudo:522): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
When I type the very first command it tells me to run in my terminal on this page.
Code:
gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Myatu
10-12-2009, 21:29
Quote Originally Posted by Lorke
By the way, is this ok to use "sudo reboot". I've been using that to reboot my server. Will this "sudo shutdown -r now" going to shut it down complete so I restart the machine manually or it will restart itself just like the "reboot" command?
Yes, "sudo reboot" is the same as "sudo shutdown -r now", so you can keep using it. The important part with "shutdown" is to use the "-r" option, as this tells the system to restart. If you forget this option, you may inadvertently power down the server and you will need to use the hard-reboot option from the OVH Manager.

sic
10-12-2009, 20:55
instead of using the 'apt' command i found that 'aptitude' worked when i had a similar error? Not sure how or why though???

Lorke
10-12-2009, 19:53
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
The warning you're getting is benign and you should be good to go (your desktop installed OK ). Instead of "ubuntu-desktop -v" you should try "sudo gdm --version" instead. It should return something like "GDM 2.20.10" (or better - I'm using an older version).

You can install something like VNC or NX server for remote access. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX on how to do this (skip the first "Open your terminal" command, as obviously you're not inside the desktop just yet).

Once you have that up and running, download an NX client on another PC (also explained in that article), connect and login.

PS: After installing NX server, I recommend restarting the server. You can use the command "sudo shutdown -r now" for this.
Phew! THANKS! It says GNOME 2.20.10. Again I really appreciate that you patiently helped me with my "newbie-to-linux" questions.

By the way, is this ok to use "sudo reboot". I've been using that to reboot my server. Will this "sudo shutdown -r now" going to shut it down complete so I restart the machine manually or it will restart itself just like the "reboot" command?

Myatu
10-12-2009, 19:11
The warning you're getting is benign and you should be good to go (your desktop installed OK ). Instead of "ubuntu-desktop -v" you should try "sudo gdm --version" instead. It should return something like "GDM 2.20.10" (or better - I'm using an older version).

You can install something like VNC or NX server for remote access. See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX on how to do this (skip the first "Open your terminal" command, as obviously you're not inside the desktop just yet).

Once you have that up and running, download an NX client on another PC (also explained in that article), connect and login.

PS: After installing NX server, I recommend restarting the server. You can use the command "sudo shutdown -r now" for this.

Lorke
10-12-2009, 18:36
Hi, I don't see the error of acpid I did anymore but I think there's another problem I've notice.

Below is the terminal from start of wget to installation of ubuntu-desktop
Code:
root@XXXXX:~# wget http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/acpid/acpid_1.0.10-4_amd64.deb
--2009-12-10 19:34:48--  http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/acpid/acpid_1.0.10-4_amd64.deb
Resolving ftp.fr.debian.org... 212.27.32.66
Connecting to ftp.fr.debian.org|212.27.32.66|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 49206 (48K) [application/x-debian-package]
Saving to: `acpid_1.0.10-4_amd64.deb.1'

100%[======================================>] 49,206      --.-K/s   in 0.02s   

2009-12-10 19:34:48 (2.50 MB/s) - `acpid_1.0.10-4_amd64.deb.1' saved [49206/49206]

root@XXXXX:~# dpkg -i acpid_1.0.10-4_amd64.deb
(Reading database ... 104699 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace acpid 1.0.10-4 (using acpid_1.0.10-4_amd64.deb) ...
 * Stopping ACPI services...                                             [ OK ] 
Unpacking replacement acpid ...
Setting up acpid (1.0.10-4) ...
 * Starting ACPI services...                                                    acpid: cannot open input layer
                                                                         [ OK ]

Processing triggers for man-db ...
root@XXXXX:~# acpid -v
acpid-1.0.10
root@XXXXX:~# sudo dpkg --configure -a
root@XXXXX:~# apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  acpi-support
The following NEW packages will be installed
  acpi-support ubuntu-desktop
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 56 not upgraded.
Need to get 68.0kB of archives.
After this operation, 799kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Get: 1 ftp://mir1.ovh.net jaunty/main acpi-support 0.121 [38.9kB]
Get: 2 ftp://mir1.ovh.net jaunty/main ubuntu-desktop 1.140 [29.1kB]
Fetched 68.0kB in 0s (234kB/s)    
Selecting previously deselected package acpi-support.
(Reading database ... 104699 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking acpi-support (from .../acpi-support_0.121_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package ubuntu-desktop.
Unpacking ubuntu-desktop (from .../ubuntu-desktop_1.140_amd64.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up acpi-support (0.121) ...
acpid: cannot open input layer
update-rc.d: warning: /etc/init.d/acpi-support missing LSB information
update-rc.d: see 
 * Checking battery state...                                             [ OK ] 

Setting up ubuntu-desktop (1.140) ...
root@XXXXX:~# ubuntu-desktop -v
-bash: ubuntu-desktop: command not found
root@XXXXX:~# sudo dpkg --configure -a
I've bolded and reded the new acpid errors. Any idea what might have caused them?

makno
10-12-2009, 14:32
try what myatu said, he's much better than me with linux but if you still want to install a standard kernel than follow this:

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=933

Myatu
10-12-2009, 05:49
I just looked. The problem is that "/proc/acpi/event" has been deprecated. acpid is still using it though. So if the kernel was not compiled with legacy support for /proc/acpi/event (for backwards compatibility), then it will fail to start / configure - exactly your problem.

Debian fixed this problem with acpid version 1.0.8-4. Unfortunately, it hasn't hit Ubunut's repositories yet, since their latest version is 1.0.6-9ubuntu4.9.04.3

I've just noticed Debian actually has a 1.0.10-4 version available. If I read correctly, you use Ubuntu AMD64, right? So give this hack a shot:

Download Debian's version:
Code:
wget http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian/pool/main/a/acpid/acpid_1.0.10-4_amd64.deb
Install it (cross your fingers!):
Code:
sudo dpkg -i acpid_1.0.10-4_amd64.deb
And check if it's indeed the latest version if successful:
Code:
acpid -v
(Returns acpid-1.0.10)

If that worked, then you can try finishing up the rest of the installation (that's still pending at this point) with:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a
Hope this works!

Lorke
10-12-2009, 04:35
Quote Originally Posted by makno
it shouldn't be a problem to do it but maybe you can simply install a new kernel (from kernel.org) instead of the ovh one and give it a go and by the way if you are logged in as root you don't need sudo
Hi, makno. I feel I'm getting closer just by reading your answer. Yes, I'm willing to try another kernel just to see if it's the OVH's default one or not. Would you mind point me where to read more on "How to install a new kernel on Ubuntu Server"? I've found many on Google but I've learned my lessons that similar words don't mean same solution in LINUX where it often is in Windows. So I would like to make sure before I step out blindly again.

makno
10-12-2009, 04:18
it shouldn't be a problem to do it but maybe you can simply install a new kernel (from kernel.org) instead of the ovh one and give it a go and by the way if you are logged in as root you don't need sudo

Lorke
10-12-2009, 02:47
Is there anyone out there, especially OVH experts? Please help. I don't want to give up yet. It's been 2 days I've been all night Lol. is it because of OVH's locking their servers and not allow to do upgrades or Desktop Environments installations?

Lorke
10-12-2009, 02:17
Nope, I've tried those 3 a gazillion times! They don't solve my problem.

gased
10-12-2009, 01:54
Uber command
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop*
I think this one solved the problem
If not then try

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

I think that the first one set of commands helped me but I'm not sure.

Can I ask if you know why OVH's kernel doesn't let you to upgrade from Ubuntu-desktop 8.04 to 9.10 or 9.04 or 8.10 ??
Does any1 know ??
It is very weird.

Lorke
10-12-2009, 01:46
Been like this for 2 days without a proper solution. Ubuntu Server 9.04 AMD64 and trying to install desktop enviroment.

Code:
sudo apt-get install desktop
I get the following errors when I type the above commands.
Code:
root@XXXXX:~# sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
ubuntu-desktop is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 56 not upgraded.
3 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Setting up acpid (1.0.6-9ubuntu4.9.04.3) ...
 * Starting ACPI services...                                                    acpid: can't open /proc/acpi/event: No such file or directory
invoke-rc.d: initscript acpid, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing acpid (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of acpi-support:
 acpi-support depends on acpid (>= 1.0.4-1ubuntu4); however:
  Package acpid is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing acpi-support (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ubuntu-desktop:
 ubuntu-desktop depends on acpid; however:
  Package acpid is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing ubuntu-desktop (--configure):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
                          No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
                                                    Errors were encountered while processing:
 acpid
 acpi-support
 ubuntu-desktop
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
root@XXXXX:~#
Please advice what to do next, I've tried many things on the internet and I still get this error!