OVH Community, your new community space.

Why can't use failover ip with virtual mac?

ashp
17-12-2009, 13:03
I changed both VM's to use 255.255.255.255 as the subnet and themselves as the gateway but only one works still. This is, to me, how I know it has to be a switch issue of some kind. One virtual MAC works perfectly and the other two don't.

Here's a really weird thing, with the broken VM using a vmxnic3 thingy I get SOME packets out onto the network. If I traceroute out I'll get maybe 1 or 2 replies and the rest time out. Setting it to promisc still fixes it instantly however.

pdu
17-12-2009, 06:07
.254 isn't a gateway for failover IP's as they are routed to your main ip, one of my failover IPs actually ends in .254 itself, which is how i'm so absolutely certain that it isn't a gateway address on failovers

blop
16-12-2009, 12:30
Quote Originally Posted by ashp
This is so weird, I changed my working VM to use itself as the gateway and that seems to work ok. Now my second VM is PARTIALLY working. I can tracert and ping things by IP address but I cannot get DNS to work at all.

It's like I have.. partial functionality. I wonder if it's an ACL problem for me too?
How did you configure your VM?

I'm trying ESXi and can't get networking to work on an ubuntu VM (haven't tried any other distro):

- I've forced the MAC address of the VM to the virtual MAC I configured in OVH manager and used the failover IP associated with this address.
- I've put the interface in promiscuous mode, both in the VM and in the ESX virtual network and switch.
I've tried using these as the default gateway in the VM:
- failover IP (netmask /32)
- host IP (/32)
- failover IP with 254 as last octet (/24)

With the .254 gateway I managed to get connectivity once for a few minutes, but the connection to the VM and host died after I did an apt-get update (transfering a few MB of data)

The host and VM came back after a while, but now I only have access between host and VM, no ping to the outside world (or even the failover IP .254 gateway)

ashp
15-12-2009, 22:28
Quote Originally Posted by ashp
I find it so weird you set the gateway as your own IP. My only working VM uses .254 in the range as the gateway rather than itself!
This is so weird, I changed my working VM to use itself as the gateway and that seems to work ok. Now my second VM is PARTIALLY working. I can tracert and ping things by IP address but I cannot get DNS to work at all.

It's like I have.. partial functionality. I wonder if it's an ACL problem for me too?

ashp
15-12-2009, 22:12
I find it so weird you set the gateway as your own IP. My only working VM uses .254 in the range as the gateway rather than itself!

pdu
15-12-2009, 18:09
After raising a ticket it was discovered there was an acl issue on the switch for me, though this naturally wont be the solution for everyone. My setup was a vanilla install of centos5.4 (non ovh build) which i then installed xen onto, rebooted with the xen kernel and used virt-install to specify the virtual mac i'd created and point it at the ovh centos mirror to install from. Configured the ip address manually, use the failover ip as the ip and gateway with a subnet of 255.255.255.255 and pointed it at the ovh dns server, all looks good so far

ashp
14-12-2009, 22:15
Quote Originally Posted by maybars
Hi there,

I have an i7 server and Citrix Senserver installed on it. I also have 16 ips ripe block for server. It is not possible to use ip failover with virtual mac however I can use ripe ips on vms. I've tried everything and have a lot experience with virtualization on OVH. Anybody noticed that problem?

Regards.
Lots of us are having the same problem. I've found a 'solution' to this under ESXi that I've been sharing a lot lately; set the interfaces for VMs to promiscuous as well as the machines interface and it seems to enable things to work properly. I don't know why that works, but it's something to do with the MAC filtering I think.

maybars
14-12-2009, 21:55
Hi there,

I have an i7 server and Citrix Senserver installed on it. I also have 16 ips ripe block for server. It is not possible to use ip failover with virtual mac however I can use ripe ips on vms. I've tried everything and have a lot experience with virtualization on OVH. Anybody noticed that problem?

Regards.