OVH Community, your new community space.

new datacentre: RBX3

freshwire
22-12-2009, 17:20
We know how much you like the weathermap
Oh yes it is great for working out when the snow will fall around Christmas

Neil
22-12-2009, 16:42
Hi

I will see what can be done, nice idea though.

MicroChip123
22-12-2009, 15:50
neil can you ask who ever does the ovh magazine for a html version so it can be google translated.

Neil
22-12-2009, 15:35
Quote Originally Posted by yonatan
can you guys at OVH update this page so we can see RBX-3 ?

http://weathermap.ovh.net/
Hi, we will once servers are being developed and actively used by customers, which will be very soon.

I have mentioned it anyway, just to make sure they remember. We know how much you like the weathermap

yonatan
22-12-2009, 13:06
can you guys at OVH update this page so we can see RBX-3 ?

http://weathermap.ovh.net/

glidewave
21-12-2009, 06:49
Yet no one can be bothered on a weekend for quality control and testing...fantastic, new DC...pointless unless you have the people to run it and keep it going 24/7 THAT INCLUDES BILLING AND CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION! Last time something as large like this happened on my US host, my account got a free month! (was 5 years ago). We'll see how much ovh considers it's customers by this.

j

lukus001
21-12-2009, 03:31
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Honest question and not complaining: Why so many different buildings? Isn't it cheaper to have one big one? Also, which one will be warming those appartment buildings - I assume it's not RBX3 (they've got one in the UK now that warms offices, I like that concept)
The size of the site; as Andy pointed out.... They would need to find a site with enough space for initial development and expansion and a big enough budget to buy that land striaght out.

Otherfactors, such as resources in that area may play a part. Each area is generally given a 'maxium' ammount of electricity they can use - A data center for ebay in germany is on hold the last I heard because they can't get approval for more electricity at their current site (which has 3 very large buildings of theirs already). This is also a problem for a lot of datacenters in London IIRC - the capacity electricity wise has ran out /pretty much ran out and so they can not house any more servers, as a result upgrades /using low powered devices has become an important aspect.

Then there's other issues like the area it's in, limiting the size /height of the building, but the biggest aspect is money - building a data center is very expensive and so one massive data center requires a lot more initial investment and higher risks.

Andy
19-12-2009, 14:54
You won't, since they fill the last one then move to the new one. You won't get a choice. It won't matter anyway, since they all have the same connectivity.

gigabit
19-12-2009, 14:53
I wonder if we will get to pick which datacentre we're in if we order new servers...

Andy
19-12-2009, 14:16
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Honest question and not complaining: Why so many different buildings? Isn't it cheaper to have one big one? Also, which one will be warming those appartment buildings - I assume it's not RBX3 (they've got one in the UK now that warms offices, I like that concept)
The main reason being there is no single site big enough to do that. Splitting it up also means if something happens at one datacenter it doesn't knock 100% of OVH's services and servers offline.

I also would like to know if the magazine will be in English too...

Rahxie
19-12-2009, 14:08
Will this OVH mag be available in english?

Myatu
19-12-2009, 12:35

oles@ovh.net
18-12-2009, 16:04
Hello,

We are pleased to announce the opening of a new
OVH datacentre, the 4th, named RBX3 (there is one in Paris ). This is a
building that was our pipe dream for the first 9
years of OVH: the former headquarters. This building has been adapted
to accommodate all needs of all that is important:
double arrival 20'000V, power supplies with the redundancy,
UPSes, the watercooling and aircooling for the eco-rooms.
The first servers are already in production and have been delivered
The capacity of the datacentre is 20,000 to 30,000 servers. The data center will
hold until September 2010. Indeed, EDF have to
work to get us a special electrical power of 20MVA
which is necessary for RBX4 and RBX5. This is planned for September.
Accordingly, we therefore plan to offer between 20,000 and 30,000
new servers until September. Hoping that will be
enough ...

The photos and report on the opening RBX3 and what the preposed
RBX4 will be published in issue No. 1 of the OVH Mag coming out
beginning in February 2010. The magazine is for readers who are the functional type
or emotional, or office-type to read on the toilet but it will be 120 pages ...

Regards
Octave