OVH Community, your new community space.

no power

Razakel
17-01-2010, 19:13
Quote Originally Posted by tallen
Well solar panels are very expensive, and generate not that much power.
I mean generally 1 meter squared = 150w. So say the roof of OVH's roof is 1000m^2. (Which is quite large, 100m by 100 m, that would mean it could output 150 kW whilst the sun is out (Say 6 hours per day). This would power approximately 300 high end servers, however that is assuming all energy would be converted to useful energy. There is no way on earth that a server farm (20-30 thousand servers) could be powered by solar alone. (Also, this would cost A LOT!, It would be much better if they removed setup fees. and helped the customer.

They could however, outsource and offset their carbon by building wind turbines elsewhere, which could easily generate that amount.

The power from solar panels is DC, so would have to be converted to AC, to then go back to DC to power servers. (Lol.)

I think the coolest thing they could do is use the heat generated from servers to heat up their offices or nearby buildings.
Or they could accept that global warming is probably a load of bollocks, considering there's evidence of fraud and other shenanigans at some research institutes. Then they could not offset their carbon output and pass the savings on to us.

tallen
17-01-2010, 19:05
Well solar panels are very expensive, and generate not that much power.
I mean generally 1 meter squared = 150w. So say the roof of OVH's roof is 1000m^2. (Which is quite large, 100m by 100 m, that would mean it could output 150 kW whilst the sun is out (Say 6 hours per day). This would power approximately 300 high end servers, however that is assuming all energy would be converted to useful energy. There is no way on earth that a server farm (20-30 thousand servers) could be powered by solar alone. (Also, this would cost A LOT!, It would be much better if they removed setup fees. and helped the customer.

They could however, outsource and offset their carbon by building wind turbines elsewhere, which could easily generate that amount.

The power from solar panels is DC, so would have to be converted to AC, to then go back to DC to power servers. (Lol.)

I think the coolest thing they could do is use the heat generated from servers to heat up their offices or nearby buildings.

elvis1
15-01-2010, 22:33
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
I think the local city council of Roubaix / Lille would not appreciate a towering wind generator in the middle of the city Solar panels you can blend in more easily.

Like Andy said, I guess one solution to the energy storage issue would be to sell the excess energy to EDF (or whoever provides energy there) and then buy it back when it's needed. This way you eliminate the energy storage requirement, you still get a good deal (I take it that the difference between buy/sell of energy is minimal - especially if you generate more than you need on average) and you continue to do your bit to reduce carbon emissions. Not sure if the French energy providers buy power from individuals though...

Sorry I meant that solar is not efficient per se ( it has a low % of usability counting the amount of received sun).

Yep, thats good idea but I think that the electric generated would be sub-par of what they need and they would always need to get some from the grid. Of course that if they invest a big amount the will be quit independent from the grid unless they place a DC close to a river or similar.

elvis1
15-01-2010, 22:30
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Solar alone isn't going to be sufficient. You're going to have to use a combination of wind and solar, along with grid or generator backup. If you have a fast flowing river or stream nearby then you could also go hydro too to provide some power.

You would probably end up having to go "grid tied" rather than running directly from a renewable source, as this would cut out the need for batteries (which cut your efficiency in half almost) and off-set the electricity bill. It also allows it to use power from the grid with no switching over should your renewable energy output drop below your usage, while still offsetting the power bill with what power is available from renewable sources. If you provide more than you use then the power grid will pay you instead
Having a combined electric (eco friedly) supply would be very f.. sweet . No provider has such IIRC, right?

Power grid paying I think has to do with countries policies

Myatu
30-12-2009, 13:34
Quote Originally Posted by elvis1
solar energy per se is not efficient ( with today's numbers). Why wouldnt you consider using wind power?
I think the local city council of Roubaix / Lille would not appreciate a towering wind generator in the middle of the city Solar panels you can blend in more easily.

Like Andy said, I guess one solution to the energy storage issue would be to sell the excess energy to EDF (or whoever provides energy there) and then buy it back when it's needed. This way you eliminate the energy storage requirement, you still get a good deal (I take it that the difference between buy/sell of energy is minimal - especially if you generate more than you need on average) and you continue to do your bit to reduce carbon emissions. Not sure if the French energy providers buy power from individuals though...

Andy
30-12-2009, 11:17
Solar alone isn't going to be sufficient. You're going to have to use a combination of wind and solar, along with grid or generator backup. If you have a fast flowing river or stream nearby then you could also go hydro too to provide some power.

You would probably end up having to go "grid tied" rather than running directly from a renewable source, as this would cut out the need for batteries (which cut your efficiency in half almost) and off-set the electricity bill. It also allows it to use power from the grid with no switching over should your renewable energy output drop below your usage, while still offsetting the power bill with what power is available from renewable sources. If you provide more than you use then the power grid will pay you instead

elvis1
30-12-2009, 05:19
solar energy per se is not efficient ( with today's numbers). Why wouldnt you consider using wind power?

would 10 MW cut down your power requirements?

Neil
28-12-2009, 20:43
It is still in development, testing and in use on 1 server, but at the moment just charges a set of batteries. Which is not as efficient as we would like it, since the batteries do take up a bit of room.

elvis1
28-12-2009, 05:00
what happened to no power project?