We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Real Private Server Questions

bruxia
06-05-2010, 13:47
Quote Originally Posted by yonatan
Wall-e :|
Naaaa, RPS are good for running basic things, the only thing that I've seen with my RPS 2 is a bit of slow down with MySQL sometimes but knowing me its probably my DB, I just dont ask it to do more than one thing at a time, but for the money, well worth it

yonatan
21-01-2010, 21:23
Wall-e :|

marks
21-01-2010, 16:44
precisely!

fozl
21-01-2010, 16:18
Quote Originally Posted by Marks
I would say that the right definition is "unmanaged servers". Self-managed could lead to confusion (it manages itself!? AI? ). But you're explanation after is correct.
An RPS, earlier today...

marks
21-01-2010, 15:47
OVH's servers are self-managed
I would say that the right definition is "unmanaged servers". Self-managed could lead to confusion (it manages itself!? AI? ). But you're explanation after is correct.

Ashley
21-01-2010, 13:59
I wouldn't recommend an RPS for anything other than a Socks5 proxy server (PuTTy Tunnel).

I had rtorrent open, and did a load *.torrent command and before you know it - it must have either crashed or disconnected.

I wonder if using gfs or sshfs and installing rtorrent on my SP box and doing it that way would make it more stable?

Or keeping the files I am torrenting stored in the 512mb RAM provided (only 200mb available space though )

mmgRay
21-01-2010, 08:31
I run a major gaming network on an RPS and I know from experience that you should not get an RPS as OVH is very unreliable when it comes to RPSes mainly because I've had a total of 30 days of downtime in the past 5 months. Support is also really bad because you usually have to wait 6-7 days before anything happends.

Razakel
02-01-2010, 15:10
Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
Thanks for all the information.

@ Razakel

I will get the SP SSD.
I'll learn what is needed to make it work perfectly.
Remember there's also the Kimsufi range:
http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/

Also, OVH's servers are located in France - take geographical location into account if you're running a game server. You'll find there's quite high latency to, say, the US.

Scorpion
31-12-2009, 22:12
Thanks for all the information.

@ Razakel

I will get the SP SSD.
I'll learn what is needed to make it work perfectly.

Razakel
30-12-2009, 23:41
1. - We can host for gameservers, webhosting and TeamSpeak?
Yes, if you're a masochist. RPSes are low-performance servers designed for low loads. It'll handle TeamSpeak and some small websites fine, but avoid it like the plague for gaming.

2. - We can resell services to third parties?
Yes, but you're responsible for the server.

3. - How a RPS works? (equal to a VPS?)
No, it's a dedicated server that just doesn't have a hard disk. Data is stored on one of OVH's servers instead.

4. - What is the software that we will use to manage the RPS?
Well, it's just a Linux server, so it'll run whatever you want on it.

5. - We can create administration ou management ranks with diferent permitions?
See above.

Don't take this the wrong way, but based on the questions you've asked, you might not have the knowledge and skills to run a server from somewhere like OVH. OVH's servers are self-managed, so they'll only fix it if the hardware blows up. You're on your own for setting up, configuring, running and maintaining the software on it.

You might be better off going to a dedicated gaming ISP. There's plenty around.

gigabit
30-12-2009, 20:35
They dont have much stock so you might be waiting a while for your order.

Scorpion
30-12-2009, 20:20
Can you give me more infos about "backlog" pls?

yonatan
30-12-2009, 19:36
No SP SSD... cam have MySQL installed?
sp ssd is very good for mysql!

( just be aware of the backlog , call the office ask them if they have them in stock, ssd from ovh are known to have a long waiting queue )

Scorpion
30-12-2009, 18:19
No SP SSD... cam have MySQL installed?

Myatu
30-12-2009, 18:00
Ah, cool! Well, then it would work provided you have the MySQL server somewhere else (like you said: rps+mysql = fail)

yonatan
30-12-2009, 17:51
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Isn't that game server Windows based? If so, then you really don't want to use an RPS.
Linux also
http://www.sa-mp.com/download.php

Myatu
30-12-2009, 17:35
Isn't that game server Windows based? If so, then you really don't want to use an RPS.

yonatan
30-12-2009, 16:53
Quote Originally Posted by scorpion
for sure?

Man i dont want to waste money in useless services...
rps+mysql = fail

Scorpion
30-12-2009, 15:08
For sure?

Man i dont want to waste money in useless services...

yonatan
30-12-2009, 15:05
I want to host something like:

One Main Site
One Main Forum

Three Grand Theft Auto San Andreas Multiplayer Server with:
- Site (PHP & MySQL)
- 250 player maximum (MySQL)
- TeamSpeak 50 slots

SP SSD will do the job :-)

Scorpion
30-12-2009, 15:02
I want to host something like:

One Main Site
One Main Forum

Three Grand Theft Auto San Andreas Multiplayer Server with:
- Site (PHP & MySQL)
- 250 player maximum (MySQL)
- TeamSpeak 50 slots

unclebob
30-12-2009, 13:44
1. You can host anything on your server.
2. Yes, many people resell services on OVH servers.
3. A RPS has a dedicated CPU, RAM and NIC. However, the storage is on a shared iSCSI array that performs worse than a local hard drive.
4. You get root access to your choice of linux distribution, so you'd probably want to manage the server over SSH. Reboots and re-installations are done via the OVH manager.
5. I'm not sure that there's anything like this for the OVH manager.

yonatan
30-12-2009, 13:38
RPS uses iSCSI network storage as its hard drive,

you can install anything you want on it, but keep in mind, the nature of iSCSI is a networked storage device, which means your server is as fast as your network connection and storage load at any given time.

Yes, you can host game server + webhosting + teamspeak - but this is not a good idea to do so all at the same time.

software used to manage the RPS ? its a Linux server, open source you choose how to manage it, google around for that.

administration ranks? linux command sudo ? , i am not sure what do you mean.

anyhow , webhosting+game+ts , will surly overload your server.

I would go for sp ssd - http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/superplan_ssd.xml
its great for game servers!

p.s.
expect some backlog ;-)

Scorpion
30-12-2009, 13:21
Hello to all members of OVH.

I'm considering opening a multigaming community with high expectations in their services provided to the public.
And we chose the OVH to host all of our services but we still have some doubts about the service provided by OVH which we would like clarified before purchasing them.

RPS's Questions

1. - We can host for gameservers, webhosting and TeamSpeak?

2. - We can resell services to third parties?

3. - How a RPS works? (equal to a VPS?)

4. - What is the software that we will use to manage the RPS?

5. - We can create administration ou management ranks with diferent permitions?