We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

50 setup fee? No thanks

derchris
05-04-2010, 16:18
But they have much better conditions whenit comes to hardware upgrades, IPs,...
For examples, you can get a /24 Ripe block for 150 Euro

rickyday
05-04-2010, 15:43
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
150 setup fee.

rickyday
05-04-2010, 15:40
Quote Originally Posted by dselvey
Yeah but i'm guessing you would rather not pay a setup fee at all,
Yes but that isnt going to happen as the owner of OVH has said and all his staff have said till they are blue in the face, I live in the real world, OVH are not dropping the setup fee

Razakel
05-04-2010, 14:02
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Dedibox are very close. A friend switched to them after his problems with OVH and never looked back. Sadly he's French and can use them, but I can't. Firstly I don't speak the French language, and their site is all in French, and secondly, I doubt they take orders from outside France.

He found their gigabit is true gigabit (gigabit up and down, unlimited) and their specs were a lot better for a bit more cost. I don't speak to the guy now so I don't know much more.

I've been with OVH 2 1/4 years now, and I've not once paid a setup fee Probably just lucky getting in when they took the setup fee's off
I'd check out Hetzner if I were you. They have some offers that compare with OVH, though they have a 150 setup fee.

Andy
05-04-2010, 10:10
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
Some people would rather have the lower monthly price and pay a one off set up fee, just like myself, I whined about it before but can see where OVH are coming from, no matter which way you look at it, OVH are still no 1 in Europe, no one and I mean no one can touch them for hardware specs/bandwidth at the prices they offer.
Dedibox are very close. A friend switched to them after his problems with OVH and never looked back. Sadly he's French and can use them, but I can't. Firstly I don't speak the French language, and their site is all in French, and secondly, I doubt they take orders from outside France.

He found their gigabit is true gigabit (gigabit up and down, unlimited) and their specs were a lot better for a bit more cost. I don't speak to the guy now so I don't know much more.

I've been with OVH 2 1/4 years now, and I've not once paid a setup fee Probably just lucky getting in when they took the setup fee's off

IainK
04-04-2010, 18:32
Quote Originally Posted by curiosity
being in the 'hire' market and allowing people to do short term lease, what did you expect ? everyone to lease a server for 5 years or something.

If you price something by a monthly period, then it might only get hired out for a 1 month period

You should have made a 'minimum' hire period then instead of introducing the set-up fee, which obviously has affected and upset many of your customers.

You can't defend OVH on this one, its clear that its another money making scam , using the excuse that there's been to much 'abuse' fom ovh IP address's is a bit amateur/lame to say the least.

If there is a minority problem, don't make the majority pay for it when the service provider has been slack in monitoring the problem

I mean what does the set-up fee actually cover ?, for a tech to wipe an hdd for the next punter ? because i cant see that anything else is different from before the set-up fee started

regards
There's no technicians touching the boxes or prepping them. When a users box expires it's put back in to the automation pool and re-installed on demand when an order comes in and it's deployed.

dselvey
03-04-2010, 14:11
Some people would rather have the lower monthly price and pay a one off set up fee, just like myself, I whined about it before but can see where OVH are coming from, no matter which way you look at it, OVH are still no 1 in Europe, no one and I mean no one can touch them for hardware specs/bandwidth at the prices they offer.
Yeah but i'm guessing you would rather not pay a setup fee at all,

if you look at it now, for short term server rent, i think they are starting to loose their competitive edge, sign up fee all in.

May be the setup fee cut off at 6 months? that would be another solution. Still prefer my previous suggestion though.

curiosity
03-04-2010, 03:04
Quote Originally Posted by Marks
That was the problem before. Too many people was doing this, getting a server for 1 month or so, cancel it soon after, .... the turnover was just too high.
being in the 'hire' market and allowing people to do short term lease, what did you expect ? everyone to lease a server for 5 years or something.

If you price something by a monthly period, then it might only get hired out for a 1 month period

You should have made a 'minimum' hire period then instead of introducing the set-up fee, which obviously has affected and upset many of your customers.

You can't defend OVH on this one, its clear that its another money making scam , using the excuse that there's been to much 'abuse' fom ovh IP address's is a bit amateur/lame to say the least.

If there is a minority problem, don't make the majority pay for it when the service provider has been slack in monitoring the problem

I mean what does the set-up fee actually cover ?, for a tech to wipe an hdd for the next punter ? because i cant see that anything else is different from before the set-up fee started

regards

rickyday
02-04-2010, 20:50
I thought the provisioning of servers was automatic?

Wouldn't it be better to have a higher monthly price and have a discounted annual price, just a thought.

Razakel
02-04-2010, 19:26

Wouldn't it be better to have a higher monthly price and have a discounted annual price, just a thought.
Or do what RapidSwitch do - free setup, or pay 39 and get 6 a month knocked off your bill.

dselvey
02-04-2010, 19:06

Neil
02-04-2010, 11:59
With OVH the prices on the website are the prices Unlike some companies, that say contact us for a quote.

Winit
01-04-2010, 23:04
You can whine all you like. They're not interested unless it's long term because it isn't financially viable.

BELLonline
01-04-2010, 12:03
Quote Originally Posted by Iray
Marks, could OVH reward long term customers by removing the setup fee? Since the long term are less likely to fudge around.. This seriously sucks though. My dreams have just been shattered/.
Yeah, that would be good - I have 30 servers and do keep them long term but OVH won't even waive the setup fee after I offered to purchase multiple servers. I'd have probably had an extra 8-10 servers if it weren't for the setup fee.

I can understand the reasons behind the setup fee, but it seems to discourage long term customers from ordering more.

Iray
01-04-2010, 11:40
Quote Originally Posted by Marks
That was the problem before. Too many people was doing this, getting a server for 1 month or so, cancel it soon after, .... the turnover was just too high.

we've discussed this in other threads for a long time. As it stands now, I'm afraid that the setup fees are here to stay.
Marks, could OVH reward long term customers by removing the setup fee? Since the long term are less likely to fudge around.. This seriously sucks though. My dreams have just been shattered/.

marks
01-04-2010, 11:17
do we think OVH will drop the setup fee? I'm just gutted by it, i used to rent the odd server for a couple of months at a time to do projects on

we've discussed this in other threads for a long time. As it stands now, I'm afraid that the setup fees are here to stay.

dselvey
01-04-2010, 10:39
Shame, it effectively ends a really useful service, to me anyway.

Possibly a good idea to use a reseller, although it shouldn't have to be that way, not when you can buy direct.

BELLonline
31-03-2010, 14:21
I can't see it happening, they're not willing to drop the setup fee for ordering multiple servers. I actually got in touch yesterday to see if I ordered 4 or more they'd be able to drop the setup fee - but the answer is no.

Looks like you'll just have to pay for a full year, and for short term requirements look for a reseller that doesn't have the setup fee.

dselvey
31-03-2010, 09:47
do we think OVH will drop the setup fee? I'm just gutted by it, i used to rent the odd server for a couple of months at a time to do projects on, away from my main server (rented from OVH for 2 years - with a few server moves for upgrades)

Just paying for what you needed, when you needed it without incurring administrative costs (since it was all automated and fast) is what made OVH unique i think. Sadly those days are gone.

inet
13-03-2010, 10:17
HeHeHe... did make me laugh

mattb37
12-03-2010, 20:29
LoL now we would be fools to believe something like this.

RapidSpeeds
12-03-2010, 15:17
Quote Originally Posted by inet
haha erm you do know what the 1st April is don't you
lmao

Iray
11-03-2010, 23:25
.. ****

inet
11-03-2010, 19:26
Quote Originally Posted by Iray
OMG. Can't wait! I reckon I'll buy two servers myself plus 1 for my mate

haha erm you do know what the 1st April is don't you

Iray
11-03-2010, 18:13
Not long till 1st April when the setup fee is dropped
OMG. Can't wait! I reckon I'll buy two servers myself plus 1 for my mate

rickyday
11-03-2010, 16:57
Not long till 1st April when the setup fee is dropped

elvis1
20-01-2010, 14:06
added you to msn yon

yonatan
19-01-2010, 15:10
I use EG & MG for virtualization (kvm/openvz) true workhorses.
drop me a line on yonatan "at " mymsn.eu , ill hook you up with a good price for containers.
:-)

jonlewi5
19-01-2010, 14:27
My first was a celeron D but then i got lucky and got a

Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz.

Im currently running hyper vm using openvz with 3 vm's at the moment with no issues

Razakel
19-01-2010, 13:24
Quote Originally Posted by tim2718281
You could use two Kimsufi C-05Gs at 100 setup plus 40 a month, but they have the Celeron D/215/220 processor which might not support your virtualization requirements.
Yeah, you won't get much virtualisation performance out of a Celeron D - it doesn't have VT instructions. Then again, you might get lucky and get processors in all three that do. Mine came with a P4, it's now an E5200.

tim2718281
19-01-2010, 12:42
Quote Originally Posted by StreamingNeeds
I want to order 6 vps servers to migrate away from my other host.

Used ovh in the past and never had any issues.

However... 50 setup x 6 = 300, for 10 a month servers, no thanks

Please OVH, see sense!
As far as I'm aware, OVH do not offer VPS servers.

If you want six 0.5MB VPS systems, each with its own IP address, the cheapest way is to use a Kimsufi Q1T at 100 setup then 50 a month

(That includes 50 setup fee for IP addresses, and 15 a month for Professional Use, which I gather is needed to use the IP addresses).

So after 10 months you'd be saving money, as well as having faster VPS systems.

You could use two Kimsufi C-05Gs at 100 setup plus 40 a month, but they have the Celeron D/215/220 processor which might not support your virtualization requirements.

Or if you need more traffic, or dual-disk systems, you could use two SP-09 Minis; 100 setup plus 70 a month.

Personally, I'd say the dual SP-09 method is better value than the six RPS method. The extra 10 a month gets you software RAID if you want it, space on each server to back up the other, and 10TB of traffic rather than 3TB.

tallen
18-01-2010, 19:42
OVH might be using the RPS and other low grade servers to start the new cloud computing offer. (Therefore using setup fees to reduce number of purchases, freeing up servers)
However, I think they will have to remove it, by around Q2, as I imagine it will have killed a lot of business.

MicroChip123
18-01-2010, 18:27
email sent

StreamingNeeds
18-01-2010, 18:21
emailed mate

MicroChip123
18-01-2010, 18:14
I know a host you may be interested in.

I cant post the link but if you mail me at

I will send you the link

StreamingNeeds
18-01-2010, 18:11
i have read reviews and have not gone with them.

However, i cannot afford your high setup costs so currently searching for a provider.

I dont see why customers who have been with you a while must pay setup fees to avoid "abuse"

Neil
18-01-2010, 17:01
Quote Originally Posted by StreamingNeeds
it would only be for testing a new service.

But just to test, its rediculous.

I have just gone to burst.net, anyone have any experiance there?
If you want reviews for 'burst.net' why don't you look on a certain forum were people TALK about their WEB HOSTING experience?

There are no discounts available on any servers at the moment.

StreamingNeeds
18-01-2010, 16:14
it would only be for testing a new service.

But just to test, its rediculous.

I have just gone to burst.net, anyone have any experiance there?

Andy
18-01-2010, 15:49
If you need 6, then why not get 1 or 2 larger servers? The RPS's are really very very slow and are for personal use and development only. If you want decent performance and specs then go for one of the Kimsufi's.

StreamingNeeds
18-01-2010, 15:42
I want to order 6 vps servers to migrate away from my other host.

Used ovh in the past and never had any issues.

However... 50 setup x 6 = 300, for 10 a month servers, no thanks

Please OVH, see sense!

Razakel
05-01-2010, 00:15
Quote Originally Posted by sic
i think set up fees are a great idea. in fact i reckon ovh should charge more especially on the rps range!
Is that an attempt at reverse psychology (hoping OVH will do the opposite of what you say you want them to)? :P

The RPS is a great little server for people who are just learning. It's cheaper than a lot of VPSes. Same applies to the Kimsufis. As for abuse, surely OVH has some automatic methods of detecting some types abuse, or could easily force customers on cheaper servers to route outgoing mail through an anti-spam gateway?

Most people aren't going to pay a full year up-front. I personally, as a filthy student, can't afford to.

To be brutally honest, I'd heard a lot of horror stories about OVH. There's no way I'd pay a year in advance for a service I didn't have any idea the quality of, particularly a company with the reputation OVH has (search for them on WebHostingTalk, etc).

For the record, I couldn't be happier with the service and would gladly recommend it to anyone. But this doesn't detract from the fact that OVH doesn't have a great reputation.

Hell, the Kimsufi site doesn't look too professional, a lot of things are poorly translated and Oles posts a lot of... well... gibberish in the forums ("a chocolate bar in that it searches for the light to avoid walking into the walls"? o.O). None of this helps.

TL;DR: No first-time customer is going to give hundreds of pounds/euros/shiny pebbles to a company they've never heard of for a service the quality of which they don't know.

sic
04-01-2010, 23:41
i think set up fees are a great idea. in fact i reckon ovh should charge more especially on the rps range!

Winit
04-01-2010, 20:14
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Just another way to try and con you.
Indeed. Along with Unlimited* bandwidth. Extremely dodgy advertising

I'm not totally against setup fees on dedicated servers but I do think the setup fee should be reduced on the cheaper RPS.

mvegetto
04-01-2010, 19:02
I agree, all customers who have a server for more than 1 year shouldn't have setup fees. I can't believe how far OVH went with those fees, hopefully OVH will see that soon enough.

It is not fair at all, it's like not having a soul, all about money and no care to the customers.

tallen
03-01-2010, 20:59
The new 50 setup fee is on all servers unfortunately except for annual purchases

Iray
03-01-2010, 20:32
whoops.. i spoke to soon!

they are added when you get to check out...

hmm really really sucks because i have been with ovh almost a year, 10 months i think.. ovh should devise something for those long-term customers, since they are less likely to abuse services!

i will not buy any new services until setup fees are gone .

Andy
03-01-2010, 20:30
*: the installation costs are free for an annual payment. Otherwise: 49.99.
Just another way to try and con you.

Iray
03-01-2010, 20:28
Is it me or are the setup fees gone now?

It says on the pages setup is free!!!

Andy
30-12-2009, 22:31
You guessed it... 50 setup on all servers now.

BELLonline
30-12-2009, 21:51
Have OVH introduced a setup fee on RPS?

I just tried to order one and got this:

RPS Server(s)
* 20 GB storage - 1 month 0.00 1 0.00
* RPS 3 - 1 month 19.99 1 19.99
* iscsi RPS installation 49.99 1 49.99