OVH Community, your new community space.

Terrible upload speeds (torrents)

raidensnake
26-05-2008, 16:50
hold up... do you mean 11megabits or 11megabytes... don't get them confused...

I know this for a fact. 100megabits/sec is around 11megabytes/sec as there's 8 bits in 1 byte... if it says 11mbytes then it's about right.

all ISP's and webhosts go by megabits format so a lot of people get confused by the difference.

IainK
25-05-2008, 21:31
First off, stop using uTorrent and wine. Use a native linux torrent client, there are absolutely loads. If you are using Ubuntu Desktop use either kTorrent for KDE users or Transmission, these two run nicely.
You can use Azureus too with a little java installation.

Coxy69
25-05-2008, 16:38
tbh there are so many variables associated with bittorrent protocol and i am not really qualified to comment on best set ups.

May i recommend you ask the guys over at http://www.legaltorrents.com/ and see if they can come up with some suggestions for you. They probably know a damn sight more about torrents - and may be able to help you out.

AmberLeaf
25-05-2008, 16:09
Thanks but makes no noticeable difference.

Coxy69
25-05-2008, 14:50
If your sticking with fedora

try tweeking your ip tables

/etc/init.d/iptables stop

then check speeds.

Jack
25-05-2008, 08:22
thats coz they cap your speeds they will deny all knowledge but trust it me i got three and the speeds up and down like a yoyo why should they give you full speed aswell on the server just keep fobbing you off max speed i had was 18MB on 100MB and that was server to server max speed ive had transfering through bittorrent is 8MB and that was for 20 secinds we will give you unlimited transfers as we cap the speeds or fluxate it to death

AmberLeaf
24-05-2008, 19:20
Tried some different os's and torrent clients but it is making no difference. Now currently on fedora 8 with wine and utorrent 1.7.7. Not got any response from support yet.

kayomani
24-05-2008, 00:27
RE OP:

Never used centos but if its anything like ubuntu desktop it really needs its tcp stack tweaking to take advantage of a 100+mbit connection.

RE Paladin:

Ulteo virtual desktop looks nice i'll have to give that a try.

RE slayer2005:

I managed to distro about 350 copies of the ubuntu 8.04 cd but stopped as there was enough seeds and I decided to move away ubuntu to a more sane OS i.e. debian ^^

Palad1n
23-05-2008, 22:37
Not exactly a help, but have you tried rTorrent/libtorrent?

Native *nix and works great, stable, and you do not need Wine.

I am hosting Ulteo package at present both torrents and http, and rTorrent can push 60mb with ease...

Andy
23-05-2008, 21:58
Quote Originally Posted by AmberLeaf
BitTorrent is a legit protocol for distributing legal content which is my intention. I am not aware it is against any rules of OVH using BitTorrent.
It is illegal to use bittorrent on OVH's network if it is for illegal purposes. If its for legal purposes, there would be no objection.

AmberLeaf
23-05-2008, 17:59
BitTorrent is a legit protocol for distributing legal content which is my intention. I am not aware it is against any rules of OVH using BitTorrent.

slayer2005
23-05-2008, 17:52
lol you contacted surport over using torrents,id be intrested to hear there reply :-)

AmberLeaf
23-05-2008, 15:07
I am using CentOS 5 with wine and utorrent 1.7.7 on the kimsufi beginner package.. I max out my download speed easy, reaching 11/MBs but my upload stays around 700kB/s ussually (if I have a few active torrents seeding, otherwise its lingers at only a couple of hundred kBs.) Sometimes it will reach 1 MB+ but only very briefly and normally shoots straight back down. I am fully connectable and my utorrent port is allowed on my firewall which is firestarter. I have seeded on several new torrents (while not downloading anything) with other servers downloading but it only ever jumps above 1 MB+ for a couple of seconds. I have tried rebooting the server and disabling the firewall briefly but neither made any difference. A speedtest on speedtest.net using recommended server always gives 84 MB + down/up speed. I have contacted support late last night but not had a response yet and I am in a hurry to get this sorted. Any suggestions and help very much appreciated.