OVH Community, your new community space.

Percenage setup fee's

Neil
12-01-2010, 16:32
Quote Originally Posted by Dave
Someone at OVH had way too much sherry over Christmas!
I know, Harvey's Bristol Cream is a killer, still feeling the affects now.

The 30 Day Trail is not available on the HG because of the bypassing the the setup and additional features that can be ordered.

tim2718281
12-01-2010, 15:56
Quote Originally Posted by Dave
I might be late to this and I'm sorry if this is a repost but...

Has anyone else noticed the new pee take setup fee's on high end servers?

For example:

HG 2010-10G

Monthly Rental: 493.99
Set up fee: 4480 ( special offer 3136 setup until 30 jan)

There has to be a typo somewhere here? I know these are high end servers but seriously!

The prices are correct, and are probably a response to customer requests.

Lots of people have expressed a preference for paying a one-off fee for hardware upgrades, rather than a monthly fee.

glidewave
11-01-2010, 03:13
I suggest going through the selection process on the order form... It's like they don't have any form of pricing consistency... you actually pay the setup fee in the form of line items marked as setup for the raid card, drives, memory, etc.. so in essence purchasing, without getting ownership on the expansion items.

The point of going with a hosting company rather than in-house aside from network concerns is to spread the cost over a period of time conveniently and cost effectively. Boxes such as the HG line don't get turned over on a regular basis and are generally kept - which makes the setup fee structure on the HG line not in keeping with the rest of their line (or industry trend). A huge jump from Low/Med range to beyond High to WHAAAA?.

Although not 10G, one can easily get a 4-6TB gig-e box with 40TB of bandwidth and a 2x quad proc, 16GB ram for less than 400/month from "another" provider (less than 800/mo for 24TB disk) and no setup on anything.

Sold out eh? I suggest fixing the website, since the HG line never decreases in the number available. Always shows 3-1hr and 11-72hr.

Andy, drop about 15-20 percent for wholesale (30+ percent if buy direct) on those costs, 7k is more inline with wholesale costs in usd.... although I could see ovh buying from an online retailer

Also, the Free Trial is only for UK registered businesses on the low end servers (sp/eg/mg)...think about it, it would be easier and cheaper to pay an attorney to setup a UK company and reg number to bypass the setup fee if they offered the "Trial" on the HG line.

_Lemon_
10-01-2010, 13:06
Quote Originally Posted by gigabit
Thats why they have a 30 day money free trial
That's actually missing from the HG pages!

Also, I don't think existing customers get to try it out.

gigabit
09-01-2010, 19:23
Thats why they have a 30 day money free trial

tallen
09-01-2010, 16:28
500 a month is pretty good for a 10Gbit/s server, that's could host a HUGE website and the hardware is fantastic. Although the setup fee is also huge, they have to get the cost for the hardware back somehow.

Sure it's not good for home users tho, However much I wished Santa to leave one of these in my stockings, for 5k + 500 per month, it's not going to happen :P.
I just think the setup fees on smaller servers like RPS/Kimsufis like C-05G and Q-1T is wrong, as they are for personal use and small businesses. (And the hardware for a celeron server is VERY cheap, I mean servers are in the region of 60-100 for a celeron, which can be recouped in 4 months or so.

No one is going to throw 300 - 600 at a server company without testing it first! I know some server companies I have been with, have been terrible(Some rubbish German provider). Sending me a IP which is unconnectable then telling me it is online and threatening legal action after I didn't pay for a service I didn't recieve.
Sure, existing customers know OVH offer decent servers (With the odd hardware fault, every so often) But, new customers aren't going to throw that much money at it.

Winit
08-01-2010, 20:18
FYI many businesses spend 30k on a single server. 5k isn't much to fork out

rickyday
08-01-2010, 19:01
I think that server is actually very good value for money, even with the setup fee.

The specifications are amazing and very impressive indeed.

Andy
08-01-2010, 10:05
The reason setup is so high on those servers is if they didn't have it so high, they'd never make their money back on the actual cost of the hardware. I worked out a rough cost for one of the HG servers and it comes to about 7000. It would be very difficult to have a 99 setup then 500/month to pay for 7k of equipment. It would take over a year before that server starts even making a profit.

Dave
08-01-2010, 08:43
Quote Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net
> servers but seriously!

"but seriously" it's the price. proof ? the HG 2010-10G are sold out ...
too much orders. should be better in 2 weeks ...
The question is would you have more orders if you had a sensible pricing structure? I think you would, but if your maxing out your current supply and getting away with extortion then fair play its money in your pocket I suppose.

oles@ovh.net
08-01-2010, 08:32
> servers but seriously!

"but seriously" it's the price. proof ? the HG 2010-10G are sold out ...
too much orders. should be better in 2 weeks ...

Dave
08-01-2010, 07:46
I might be late to this and I'm sorry if this is a repost but...

Has anyone else noticed the new pee take setup fee's on high end servers?

For example:

HG 2010-10G

Monthly Rental: 493.99
Set up fee: 4480 ( special offer 3136 setup until 30 jan)

There has to be a typo somewhere here? I know these are high end servers but seriously!