OVH Community, your new community space.

VMware server 2 and virtual macs

jonlewi5
10-01-2010, 17:00
Heya,

Still no go, i created a new vm just try, also added a new failover ip that hadnt been used before and still nothing

tracert's still end at the switch before the host and pings still time out

Im confused, any other suggestions

Thanks very much

Jon

jonlewi5
10-01-2010, 02:34
oh right, i didnt realise, thanks ill try that now, thanks very much

yatesco
10-01-2010, 02:29
Quote Originally Posted by jonlewi5
Yeah i am using a virtual mac setup in the control panel and then edited the vm .vmx and set it to a static mac address and the correct one assigned by ovh, this all checks out okk in ifconfig

Cheers

Jon
Ah OK - you don't need to add virtual macs for the 3 fail-over IPs you get. You only need to add virtual macs for any RIPE IPs you want.

For the fail-over IPs, try removing the virtual mac. Just to eliminate any corruption with routing, maybe try a different fail-over IP as well.

Might be a red-herring...

Also, you want your netmask to be 255.255.255.255

jonlewi5
10-01-2010, 02:13
Yeah i am using a virtual mac setup in the control panel and then edited the vm .vmx and set it to a static mac address and the correct one assigned by ovh, this all checks out okk in ifconfig

Cheers

Jon

yatesco
10-01-2010, 02:03
As I understand it, OVH don't allow unknown MACs on their network. Bridged networking basically exposes the MAC address of the virtual machine's NIC to the outside world resulting in your server being blocked from the switch.

I think you have three options:

- use a private/internal IP on your virtual machine and use port forwarding or NAT to route the traffic
- use the new virtual MAC option in your manager to create an allowed MAC which *you must assign to your VM before turning on!*
- use proxy-arp to do some clever stuff which hides your VM's MAC

Not an expert in this *at all*, so if somebody else says something different than believe them

jonlewi5
10-01-2010, 00:26
Iv been trying to get vmware server 2 running on a test box.
Im running a bog standard (non-ovh) debian lenny install with vmware server 2.

I just cant get bridged networking working.

So i have added the failover ip to the virtual mac option in the control panel.
Iv edited the virtual machines .vmx set the mac address to static, thats all fine.
Iv edited /etc/network/interfaces with the correct ip for the mac address.

But im getting no where.

Here is what i have so far from /etc/network/interfaces on the vm

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto etho inet static
address 87.98.254.xxx
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 87.98.254.xxx (same as address)
This is just info iv gotten from reading the forum here.

Im sure i have made a really stupid and simple mistake here, could anyone enlighten me?
Surely there must be something added to the host aswell that iv likely missed

All pings just time out
and tracert's end at the switch just before my server

*side note, the whole point of this is just so i can learn about virtualisation*

Any other info required?
Thanks

jon