OVH Community, your new community space.

Virtual Mac/Ip Failover Problems

Neil
21-01-2010, 10:31
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
If you're having issues then it's probably worth e-mailing or phoning support to have them verify settings on the routers.
Since it is quite a new product offering it's bound to have some initial teething problems.
Yes, if any of you have problems with the error in the manager saying there is an issue with the switch, the quickest thing to do is to open a ticket with the following things:

The IP that you are having trouble with and the error in the OVH Manage.

Also:

If you have a routing issue then in the ticket enclose the IP and proof that there is an issue with the routing, like a TCP dump showing that it is receiving the packets but you are not receiving a response when you ping it.

And of course a traceroute's

IainK
21-01-2010, 09:51
If you're having issues then it's probably worth e-mailing or phoning support to have them verify settings on the routers.
Since it is quite a new product offering it's bound to have some initial teething problems.

brgroup
20-01-2010, 15:49
I wonder could it be a Kimsufi hardware specific problem? Are the Kimsufi's on the rack routed through the same switches?

I have another EG-BestOf and it works bloody brilliantly. My virtual guests (windows & linux), network and virtual macs all have been performing without a hiccup going on 2 months straight.

IainK
20-01-2010, 15:04
Using Virtual Mac with bridged mode means your CPU is not acting as a router, processing the traffic, instead the routers are taking on this traffic.
It also means that you do not see your host server in the trace route where before, in routed mode, you did.

yatesco
20-01-2010, 09:48
I am still banging my head trying to get virtual macs to work as well, but I haven't submitted a ticket, so I am just moaning here

One question - what is the actual benefit to virtual macs instead of proxy_arp? I imagine there is less overhead, but I only have a dozen low traffic virtual machines...

DigitalDaz
19-01-2010, 22:52
I've had exactly the same problems with my i7-4T, I have a bunch of ripe addresses with it too. I had the problem with the switch showing -/-.
Funny thing was, it all worked perfectly in the beta and everything was still written in French, since then I just gave up with virtual macs, I submitted a ticket and when I got told it was resolved which it clearly wasn't I just went back to plain old proxy arp. At least it works

brgroup
19-01-2010, 22:47
Same problem here..

On one Kimsufi Q-1T purchased at the start of the year, been dealing with intermittent connection issues on the hardware network interface, as well as all three failover IP addresses..Problems rage from slow FTP speeds to outright disconnections from the server.

Connecting via http, ssh or via Xen-Center also produces the same behavior. Submitted an incident ticket #329727 and received interventions but the issue hasn't been resolved and I have lost two customers from the server.

A 2nd Kimsufi 2T was expected to perform better, but immediately after purchasing and setup, received this error trying to create Virtual MAC addresses:
"Switch/port unknown for ks309***.kimsufi.com"

Submitted an incident ticket #346688 . The next day while awaiting response, rebooted the host and was able to create the Virtaul Mac addresses, but none will interface with the internet or to the host. I believe it still has to do with the above error and there's a problem at the switch..

Both issues are very disappointing.

Still waiting for a reply on both issues and stuck in the water with some clients fuming..

okone
18-01-2010, 12:42
Thankfully someone is finally looking at it, although the process is incredibly slow.

I would have tried buying a set of RIPE ip's but no doubt I would have encountered the same problem when trying to assign a virtual mac to them.

Andy
12-01-2010, 17:44
Thanks Neil, much appreciated.

Neil
12-01-2010, 17:36
On the case, and vKVM is being looked at this week with 2008 R2.

Andy
12-01-2010, 17:25
Neil, I've had no resolution to my ticket regarding virtual MAC's either. Can you please look into that?

Neil
12-01-2010, 16:34
Hi

I see the update, I have contacted the incident team to let them know the issue has not been resolved.

okone
12-01-2010, 14:59
Ticket No. is 332011, I had to call incident support to add the reply as I still cannot add one in my manager, the ticket is open by the way.

Server: ks369418.kimsufi.com

Neil
12-01-2010, 13:49
Hi

Ticket and Server address? If you cannot reply in the OVH Manager, then it is most likely because the ticket is closed.

okone
12-01-2010, 03:52
Thanks for the reply, I know you are trying to help out. I might in fact do that and give them a call.

The problem with speeds was not going down but going up. We tested both before we put xen 5.5 on the box using ubuntu. Both up and down speed were normal to test ftp's etc. We tested with the virtual we got working first time and the down speed was fine but the up speed was horrible, so bad that rdp kept freezing because there wasn't enough bandwidth.

I appreciate your help but the problem is simply that after setting the failover ip and associating it with a mac address in ovh manager the ip's just don't route. We have run many traceroutes to confirm this and customer support agree they are not working properly. Many people have had this problem on the forum and claim that it was a mis-configuration with their switch. Unless you can help me out there I will probably end up calling support tomorrow.

Myatu
12-01-2010, 03:14
Your best bet is to give them a call when they get in the office later today. Make sure that you have all relevant info at hand, of course This would include any details on how you determined "terribly slow speeds" and your step-by-step methods of recreating the MAC/IP associations (the same would have been helpful here, as perhaps one of us customers could determine a simple fix).

okone
12-01-2010, 01:39
Edit: Although the tech was slow at looking at the problem, it is now resolved. So I advice anyone having routing issues or problems creating virtual mac addresses to open an incident ticket.

Many thanks to ovh support!

-------------

I've been using ovh for a while now and have never really had problems, but recently with trying to sort out this issue the support has been poor. The main problem was it was never made clear who I should seek to gain support.

We purchased a new kimsufi at the end of last year and installed Xen 5.5 on it. We originally installed a failover ip and routed it to the virtual machine using the ovh manager. This first ip routed fine.

However we experienced terribly slow speeds, so we added two more failover ip's, none of which routed to our virtual mac addresses. So we consulted the forum. Octave said that it was a problem probably with the switch and eventually said it was fixed (http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showpost.php?...6&postcount=20). So we deleted all our ip/mac associations and decided to start again.

However none of them appear to route any more which leads us to believe it could be a problem with our switch (sw.44.247/27).

We have also sent an email to octave but have yet to receive a response, even though both he (in the forum) and support staff have told us this is the appropriate action to take. I thought it better to submit an incident ticket as the problem might be resolved sooner.

However it took over a week for them to even look at the server (even though I set the ticket as high priority) and the technician now claims the situation is solved...it is not. None of our mac/ip associations work, even after deleting them and starting again.

I would have replied to the technician but I seem to be unable to do so in ovh manager because there is no text input box and the reply button simply submits a blank message (further adding to my frustration).

I just want to know what we have to do to get the situation resolved as I see plenty of people in the forum now have working virtual machines. Who do I need to talk too?

I am gradually loosing my patient with ovh.