OVH Community, your new community space.

Windows Server 2008 R2 distribution, Web Edition Questions?

matrixsc
20-01-2010, 11:37
Thanks.

everwicked
20-01-2010, 08:05
Quote Originally Posted by matrixsc
I take in windows 2008 web edition you will still have a desktop.

Just read elsewhere that it runs in dos or that's what i thought it was saying.?
Just to sum up what everybody has said in jargon-free terms - you'll be fine with the Web edition for downloading etc...

Razakel
17-01-2010, 22:09

Just read elsewhere that it runs in dos or that's what i thought it was saying.?
wat

No, it's exactly the same as any other version of 2008. It just doesn't let you use some of the more advanced Windows Server functions, like AD and Terminal Services.

Winit
17-01-2010, 22:08
I'm sure the OVH version will come with a GUI but it is optional during the normal install.

matrixsc
17-01-2010, 21:46

matrixsc
17-01-2010, 19:34
I don't use them at all anyway i login myself ( only) and i also login via ftp. Its' mostly used for the internet speed.

As i said i rar files up etc..and sometimes grab stuff from sites and send stuff. .

As long as it runs all the applications i use it will be fine i also do a little encoding but on the server i have now it's painfully slow! hence wanting to upgrade.

Razakel
17-01-2010, 19:27
Well surfing the web , using winrar etc..

I was under the impression that the web edition was just a stripped down version of a standard OS and would run applications fine? So i'm right in saying it won't be the same as what i'm running now Windows 2003 R2 Standard Edition?

Thanks.
It'll run applications fine. The only difference is you can't use as many of the Windows Server features, like Active Directory.

matrixsc
17-01-2010, 19:17
Well surfing the web , using winrar etc..

I was under the impression that the web edition was just a stripped down version of a standard OS and would run applications fine? So i'm right in saying it won't be the same as what i'm running now Windows 2003 R2 Standard Edition?

Thanks.

Razakel
17-01-2010, 18:43
Web Edition does IIS and that's about it. It doesn't support Terminal Services - though it does support Remote Desktop for administration - or Hyper-V (a virtualisation thingy).

You might find this useful:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...-features.aspx

Akd
17-01-2010, 18:19
Will 2008 R2 still do your "standard stuff" ?

Depends entirely what your standard stuff is... you might want to elaborate

matrixsc
17-01-2010, 18:02
Hi

At the moment i'm using Windows 2003 R2 Standard Edition on another server i'll be most likely getting rid of soon.

This does everything i need like raring files up and standard stuff my question is will Windows Server 2008 R2 distribution, Web Edition do the same for me?

I'm looking at getting the I7-2T server which has 8gig ram so thats why i'm looking at Windows Server 2008 R2 distribution, Web Edition i need to make sure before ordering it does everything i need.

And i may as well use the full 8 gig of ram i guess ?

Thanks.