OVH Community, your new community space.

Ylmf OS (Linux Windows XP OS)

Neil
27-01-2010, 09:39
Quote Originally Posted by elvis1
react os does not infringe any patent.. could you please investigate about it please?

thanks in advance
We can and it was requested yesterday, but we don't want to develop it and then find the project has stalled because of legal issues.

Anyway you can do it with Ubuntu and Kubuntu, just download and install the correct themes and packages.

Razakel
26-01-2010, 23:19
Quote Originally Posted by elvis1
react os does not infringe any patent.. could you please investigate about it please?

thanks in advance
Because it's not a complete clone of the Windows look and feel.

This is.

elvis1
26-01-2010, 22:43
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Wonder how many patents that infringes on...

thanks in advance

derchris
26-01-2010, 18:13
Quote Originally Posted by BenB
Stop being haters, think about it everybody knows the windows interface but loves the stability of linux. The kimsufi range is for personal usage, so anything easier for the basic website owner is good .

Need to check further into this OS.

Ben,
These are still dedicated server, and as such are headless.
They were never meant to have a GUI, visible to the user.
If you have the occasional application which is using a GUI, you could still run some kind of VNC server.
I don't see the point why I should have a full X11 + KDE/Gnome, ... install just for that, and have it running all the time.

BenB
26-01-2010, 16:47
Stop being haters, think about it everybody knows the windows interface but loves the stability of linux. The kimsufi range is for personal usage, so anything easier for the basic website owner is good .

Need to check further into this OS.

Ben,

Neil
26-01-2010, 14:27
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
I still want my Linux prompt to read "C:\>"
and all the packages to be .exe's

gregoryfenton
26-01-2010, 13:26
export OLDPS1=$PS1
export PS1=C:\\\>

to revert to normal prompt:
export PS1=$OLDPS1

Myatu
26-01-2010, 13:12
I still want my Linux prompt to read "C:\>"

yatesco
26-01-2010, 12:31
And just before I sound too sanctimonious, the first thing I did with my Gnome desktop was try and emulate the OSX interface

yatesco
26-01-2010, 12:30
To each their own, but this is a bit like buying a set of mechanics, milling machines and a whole lot of raw material so I can build whatever car I want and then building something that looks like a Ford Fiesta but sounds like a Ferrari with motorcycle wheels. As long as you don't look too closely at it.

Wonder how they emulate the blue screen...

I get the argument of 'surely allowing people to use superior technology whilst keeping the familiar', but really? Seriously? If I have to administer a windows machine I don't want the extra complexity of a hybrid system. Who is going to manage this? Not a Windows expert, and not a Linux dude...

Ashley
26-01-2010, 12:22
FOTM springs to mind.

freshwire
26-01-2010, 12:09
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
It's not disto elitism. I'm just saying that if you need a Windows theme to feel comfortable with your server, you probably don't have the *nix knowledge needed to run an unmanaged server.
I would have to agree. Running windows as a server is bad enough but running linux that looks like windows just for ease of use is not a good idea...

Razakel
26-01-2010, 11:54
Quote Originally Posted by gueriLLaPunkMoB
To each their own. No need to be elitist about what distros people use.

And because someone uses a version of ubuntu doesn't mean someone shouldn't have a dedi. Jeez man, get off your high horse.

EDIT: typo
It's not disto elitism. I'm just saying that if you need a Windows theme to feel comfortable with your server, you probably don't have the *nix knowledge needed to run an unmanaged server.

fozl
26-01-2010, 09:30
Appears to have Windows IE in the screenshot.

Neil
26-01-2010, 09:23
Wonder how many patents that infringes on...

gueriLLaPunkMoB
26-01-2010, 02:38
To each their own. No need to be elitist about what distros people use.

And because someone uses a version of ubuntu doesn't mean someone shouldn't have a dedi. Jeez man, get off your high horse.

EDIT: typo

Razakel
26-01-2010, 01:39
It's just bloody Ubuntu themed for people who don't have a clue about Linux.

People who need a Windows theme when using Linux really should not be running dedicated servers.

gueriLLaPunkMoB
26-01-2010, 00:42
Yeah but it's different than any other distro. Hopefully OVH adds it as an option for its customers to use.

derchris
26-01-2010, 00:40
Just another Linux distribution

gueriLLaPunkMoB
26-01-2010, 00:30
http://www.ylmf.org/en/index.html

What do you guys think? It looks pretty awesome!