OVH Community, your new community space.

windows backup and restore

fozl
26-01-2010, 18:37
Quote Originally Posted by gangsta
Yes, I know all that and that's why I am asking here at forums, because I know that some users here were successfull about this issue.
I remember someone was using DD to image the disk and netcat to transfer the files, so I was thinking that would be easy if I have .tib image (which may be converted into virtual disk if needed .vmdk, .vhd, .hdd).
Anyway, you didn't answer my question about no possibility to boot in WinPE mode...
WinPE is available only for SLPA owners as well? Can't believe that...
No, WinPE should work, send us your server name (customersupport@ovh.co.uk) or give your ticket number if you have one open.

gangsta
26-01-2010, 18:03
Yes, I know all that and that's why I am asking here at forums, because I know that some users here were successfull about this issue.
I remember someone was using DD to image the disk and netcat to transfer the files, so I was thinking that would be easy if I have .tib image (which may be converted into virtual disk if needed .vmdk, .vhd, .hdd).
Anyway, you didn't answer my question about no possibility to boot in WinPE mode...
WinPE is available only for SLPA owners as well? Can't believe that...

fozl
26-01-2010, 17:33
Let me quote myself:

And I see you're from OVH team, so may you tell me why my server cannot be booted into WinPE - OVH technician was trying 3 times today, server was unreachable for 2 hours and finally he ended up with setting rescue pro mode (as always). Guess what I've done... run putty, typed reboot and that all - as I said before, my sever is running fine, but I don't want to pay for the licence if I have my own and using server for my private use, not commercial.
Ah, you want to use your own Windows key, that's at the heart of the issue I think. Well you can't unless you have an SPLA license. Maybe if you host a VM running Windows you can use your own key on that...

gangsta
26-01-2010, 17:23
Quote Originally Posted by fozle
Hm, not really. But you seem to know what vKVM and WinPE are, why do you want to use them if your Windows install functions correctly?
Let me quote myself:
OK, I hope you get what my point is - to restore current windows backup and after successfull boot and RDP login change key into my own.
And I see you're from OVH team, so may you tell me why my server cannot be booted into WinPE - OVH technician was trying 3 times today, server was unreachable for 2 hours and finally he ended up with setting rescue pro mode (as always). Guess what I've done... run putty, typed reboot and that all - as I said before, my sever is running fine, but I don't want to pay for the licence if I have my own and using server for my private use, not commercial.

fozl
26-01-2010, 16:40
Hm, not really. But you seem to know what vKVM and WinPE are, why do you want to use them if your Windows install functions correctly?

gangsta
26-01-2010, 13:57
Hi!
I'm running Kimsufi L with Windows 2k3 installed, but I have my own licence and don't want to pay almost 50% of server value for current one.
I've installed acronis on my windows install and made C: partition backup.
I have .TIB file which contains my C: drive image with windows.
I booted server into vKVM mode, chose ISO and booted from acronis resuce CD located on my second OVH server through FTP.
Then I chose management console (you may controll restore proccess from another computer via this tool), but the problem is that in vKVM server is unavailable through primary IP, so it won't ping as normal. That's why acronis shows internal IP 10.0.2.15 - obviously not possible to connect even from another OVH server.
This failed, so I booted again and chose acronis echo server full. Then I successfully connected to FTP (my second OVH server) and chose part1 .tib image. Just after I clicked Next, boom, vKVM error: connection reset.
As I have my backup splitted into 2 parts, 2GB and 1,2GB files and I think acronis automatically switch into second part during rescue proccess,
I counted that 3GB transferring 10MB/s would be transffered in circa 5 minutes, so I waited 7 minutes, but nothing changed. The proccess didn't even started, because before I started restoring I created txt file on C drive which wasn't included in backup, and the file was there, so no backup was restored - the proccess simply stop when "connection reset" error occurred.

So, if restoring through acronis rescue boot cd isn't possible I thought that I may try in WinRescue, but guess what...server can't boot into that mode - I'd like to remind you that my current Windows install is OK and server is booting fine from HD, so why not in WinPE mode? ..what a pity
Everything I got after NetBoot into WinRescue is monitoring mails that host is unreachable, they simply can't run working windows install into WinPE - I guess it doesn't depend on what OS is currently installed and if it's working or not, as WinPE is live distribution and have nothing to do with OS installed on HDD...

OK, I hope you get what my point is - to restore current windows backup and after successfull boot and RDP login change key into my own.

I thought it would be nice and smooth via vKVM, but now I know I was wrong, really tough issue...
I'm thinking about install e.g. Ubuntu Desktop, create second partition (NTFS), install Acronis and restore my C: backup with MBR and Track 0 record into second partition, then change boot loader to boot from windows partition?!

Any ideas from your end?