OVH Community, your new community space.

Server Deactivated :(

yonatan
29-01-2010, 11:36
that is bad business.

already many posts about this stupid method, instead of mailing with the information and giving the admin time to act ( say 6/12/24 hours? ) , they just kick you off with no backups.
good luck with getting your machines back alive.

Rahxie
28-01-2010, 23:39
Quote Originally Posted by mimi2008
Normally you wont be able to get out of rescue mode and need to do a full reinstall unless you can check the server in rescue mode and provide logs that the error has been rectified or u know why it happened!
That would be ridiculous, they expect people to wipe their entire server without taking a backup? I'm unable to get into rescue mode since they haven't sent me an email containing the password to login to it.

Edit:
Just been reading help.ovh.co.uk and it looks like they can reactivate the server (during their working hours of course...) as long as the hacker is removed from the system. Hopefully they get back to me tomorrow so I know exactly what the problem is they found. Until then.. time to get some sleep.

freshwire
28-01-2010, 22:44
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
That's grounds to suspend a server? o.O
Anyone running a DNS server will have this. Likely this info is just to say what was open at the time.. not nessecarily saying this is the fault.

Euan
28-01-2010, 22:24
Quote Originally Posted by Rahxie
Is there any way at all to get a server re-activated before being able to call up tomorrow?

My server was deactivated 5 minutes after their phone lines closed. I've tried calling and replying to the incident ticket they opened, but the server is still down.

Reason they deactivated server:

This server is used to host OpenVZ VPS's so it's possible a VPS has been hacked but with the server being in rescue-mode I can't check. They sent the rescue-mode password to a email on the server, so I have no access to that either...

Whenever I try to set it to boot from hd I get this error: "Server state inhibits this function".
All emails that they send you are in your manager, its under the profile area - I cant remember exactly where but one of the support team told me that before. Look for something like ' contacts '

Razakel
28-01-2010, 22:19
This server currently has an open remote connection port:
That's grounds to suspend a server? o.O

MicroChip123
28-01-2010, 19:45
can you switch monitoring off then reboot?

Just imagine if this happened on a friday evening.

mimi2008
28-01-2010, 19:37
Quote Originally Posted by Rahxie
Is there any way at all to get a server re-activated before being able to call up tomorrow?

My server was deactivated 5 minutes after their phone lines closed. I've tried calling and replying to the incident ticket they opened, but the server is still down.

This server is used to host OpenVZ VPS's so it's possible a VPS has been hacked but with the server being in rescue-mode I can't check. They sent the rescue-mode password to a email on the server, so I have no access to that either...

Whenever I try to set it to boot from hd I get this error: "Server state inhibits this function".
Normally you wont be able to get out of rescue mode and need to do a full reinstall unless you can check the server in rescue mode and provide logs that the error has been rectified or u know why it happened!

Rahxie
28-01-2010, 19:26

Date: 2010-01-28 19:05:57

Hello,

We had to intervene in emergency on your dedicated server
ns2xxxxx.ovh.net to block an attack. It appears that your
dedicated server has a security hole or a malicious user
has gained access.

We were forced to deactivate your server. The magnitude of
the fault is such that we will certainly proceed with a
complete reinstallation of the server. Please respond to
this email by contacting one of our advisers.

Below you will find information about running processes and
open ports on your server when we intervened.

------- START OF INFORMATION ON THE ATTACK -------
This server currently has an open remote connection port:
------- END OF INFORMATION ON THE ATTACK -------