OVH Community, your new community space.

Some feedback about Cloud

MicroChip123
02-02-2010, 14:18
Would i be able to move fallover IP's between my server and the cloud?
Or would i be stuck with the default IP i am given?

fozl
02-02-2010, 11:04
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Code:
MC is a 1 core 1GHz, 256MB RAM, 5GB of disk 1.99Euro HT / month.
We tested different level configuration of CPU and
RAM including the use of the SWAP (when memory is full).
Now, the MC comes with 2GB of RAM consisting of minimum
256MB of DDR3 and 1.8GB on the SSD. So if you need
more than 256MB of RAM in your MC, you'll swapper "naturally"
but on the SSD scheduled for that instead of system disks
provided for storing data and therefore slower than the SSD.
Now THAT was why I had 2 GB of RAM (+ another swap partition). That's nifty! But I am concerned about stability now. I mean, installing Gnome straight from Debian's official repository crashed my cloud (still down). I can do this within my own KVMs without any issue, so is it the SSD trickery?

Another thing, I don't see any mention of elasticity, in that you cannot add and remove resources depending on system demand (and whatever extra resources you have set aside).

Otherwise, I was quite impressed with the few hours I managed to play with it
You get elasticity with the aC cloud, the concept of which I've heard described as 'utility computing', abit like water really, processing power on tap.

Myatu
30-01-2010, 19:14
Same CPU as well: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3472&page=3

yonatan
30-01-2010, 19:09
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Code:
Now THAT was why I had 2 GB of RAM (+ another swap partition). That's nifty! But I am concerned about stability now. I mean, installing Gnome straight from Debian's official repository crashed my cloud (still down). I can do this within my own KVMs without any issue, so is it the SSD trickery?

Another thing, I don't see any mention of elasticity, in that you cannot add and remove resources depending on system demand (and whatever extra resources you have set aside).

lucky you
i got 1gb of ram ...

try KDE did not have any issues, what's with this gnome . . . :|

if i had more disk space i would try installing gnome also . . .

what CPU did you get?
i got
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5504 @ 2.00GHz

Myatu
30-01-2010, 19:05
Code:

yonatan
30-01-2010, 19:01
Great! so actually we don't need to get MG machines for VPS servers?

the problem i see ....
IP ADDRESSES

a VPS with a hosting control panel ( directadmin as example ) , needs at least 2 ip addresses ( to manage DNS ) , and its recommended 3 ... ( if the client wants to open a shop with SSL ? )

so 1.99 minicloud + 99gbp for ripe block?

to use it in production, we need to look at all kinds of setups that people do expect from VPS machines.

one IP address will never be good for a production machine ( for hosting with a panel... maybe good for children seedbox who we all hate)

any way to add another IP address? ( minimum 2 is required for production)
currently mg+proxmox is the best solution - it costs more, but its quality we are after.

about management ? , currently to create a VPS , it takes about 30 seconds - setup parameters poof server is up , client is happy....

cloud? how will that be? 1-72 hours? backlog? ...

would like to hear some answers about these questions...

Thank you for the great job! ,

I am running now KDE on my cloud - using it to access the manager and playing around with apache , performance is good, but out of disk space
( kde took 1.2GB ).

/dev/sda1 3.0G 2.1G 755M 74% /

can you make it install as LVM default ? so we can expand the disk if needed?

Yonatan.

oles@ovh.net
30-01-2010, 18:40
Hello,

Beta test progressing well. The feedback is very interesting and very important for developing the infrastructure that we use to provide the Cloud. We've already had dozens of responses to questions that arose. Thank you!

We decided to extend the test period for each mC (miniCloud). We are talking about more than 3 days. We did the test up until OVH launches the offer (currently February). By contrast avoid using your mC in production. In this course of our beta testing we test everything, including how everything behaves during breakdowns that we cause (or not). Hopefully, everything comes works, otherwise we must look at why it does not work then find how to fix it, and thus preventing failures etc..

Currently 1000 miniClouds (mC) are in production. 92 are pending and will be delivered soon. If you also want to test the mC, do not hesitate in launching the free order. You are entitled to 1 mC.

This is what we have tested
-----------------------
The mC is a 1 core 1GHz, 256 RAM, 5GB disk for £1.99 ex. VAT/month. We have tested different configurations of CPU levels and of RAM including the use of SWAP (when the RAM is full). Now, the mC is delivered with 2GB of RAM made up of a minimum 256MB on the DDR3 and 1.8GB on the SSD. So, if you need more than 256MB of RAM in your mC, you can swap "Naturally" but on the SSD disks provided instead of system disk provided for the data storage and therefore slower than the SSD. If the physical server has not allocated the DDR3 available, it will be automatically allocated for you and therefore in reality you will have 300MB from the same 400MB of DDR3 on the 2GB that your system sees. We obtained something that retains high performance up to limit of mC and well insulated in relation to other mC. We have started tests on the filers of remote storage with different configuration of disks (SATA2, SSD, mix data SATA2 + cache SSD).

Subsequent tests:
-------------------
We will continue testing related to data storage. It is a technology that we control very well and this is just to know which is better adapted. Also, we will start the testing of mC with Windows. Is it going to run with 2GB of RAM with 256MB of DDR3 or will it require 512MB of DDR3 on 2GB ?

Ovh.biz and the Cloud
-------------------
OVH will provide all the distributions that we already proposed. But above the OVH cloud, allow sys-admin of proposed tailored distributions to meet specific needs. For example, I am an anti-virus company, I take a mC and I make a system based on my solution that I can offer to all customers of OVH in a simple click. The distribution is free to choose or pay monthly, or according to use, with or without root. Or .. I am a sys-admin, who offers solutions related to email, I take a mC and I make a system where I put everything that you need to manage email, using RoundCube, then I put in this distribution in ovh.biz to offer to all customers of OVH, if it interested someone, he can test it free for 3 days. Similarly, if you are a fan of FreeBSD, you'll be able to offer the FreeBSD distrib or OpenBSD. Distributions will be "trusted" by some sys-admin and / or by the users of the distribution. Similarly with the developers of Apps such as CRM, ERP, billing, accounting, or simply Web module for managing photos, Web module for blogs then propose free, paid monthly or by usage . The goal at our level is to enrich the future offers of Ovh.biz through the cloud and provide all sort of solution to the maximum number of visitors to ovh.biz. Ultimately we want to communicate on Ovh.biz with the level of press, radio and TV ... it is where we find any sort of web application to make things ...

The marketing of Cloud
---------------------
The OVH Cloud will be offered to 3 markets namely sys-admin, developers and resellers.

> For sys-admin:

The mC (miniCloud) is inscribed in the range of "dedicated servers". In effect, it is a small dedicated server limited to 256MB of RAM with 5GB disk and mainly nonredundant. As a physical dedicated server, if the server itself is down, it is down. The mC will therefore evolve £2 to not much more, because from £10 there is already RPS and from £30 there is already kimsufi and from £50 there is already SP and from £100 there is already EG and from £150 there is already MG and from £300 there is already HG. The mC may evolve into the RPS or dedicated server while remaining in a virtualized environment with / without managment by OVH.. 1 click and I am in SP ...

The cC (coreCloud) is a redundant dedicated server. The opposite of a dedicated server (type mC, RPS, SP, EG, MG, HG), the cC does not crash. It is permanently redundant on another physical server AND on other storage. The service remains up even in the case of a physical problem. Everything switches from server #1 to server #2 without downtime. This type of "logic" configuration is very expensive. Everything must be redundant and keep everything updated for use in case of failure remains less than a few hours /year. It is a luxury. Therefore OVH proposes the cC in 2 types of configurations, namely "reserved" and "on-demand". "Reserved" is equivalent of a dedicated server: the resources are mine, that I cannot use, but I do not want someone else to use. It is this configuration that will be very expensive. It must indeed do everything twice even though there is no real need. In the "On-demand" configuration, we look at the real usage of cC and we bill for what is actually used instead of charging for the resources reserved and not used. In this case, OVH will engage in a quality of service defined in a pragmatic manner (for example, the execution time of a script must remain below 100ms) and OVH bills only the servicethat has been provided with respect to the defined quality of service. If the service is inferior to the quality defined, for example the execution time > 100ms, it is free. So, OVH has an interest in using the cC on the bigger physical servers with the maximum available resources to hope to charge for any use of cC ... That is the principal of operation of cC.

> For developers:

The dC (devCloud) is the equivalent of mC for developers. I develop in java, I take a dC-java, I push my war and it works immediately. I develop in RoR, I take a dC-RoR and I push ... and the same for PHP, MySQL, .net, SQL server but also Exchange 2010, SBS, Zimbra, OpenXchange, Roundcube, or more storage, backup or more web cache, streaming video, audio. In summary, all sort of "solutions" free for 3 days and then for £1.99 ex. VAT/month for the development usage. Each developer and/or user will be able to find a solution to their problem, whatever the problem. If the solution is good and the development gets a result and finishes, the dC may evolve to aC.

The aC (AppsCloud) is an unlimited dC in terms of resources. OVH puts in place the infrastructure /Apps to deliver the service according to the defined quality of service. As with the cC, if the performance is not as expected, the service is free. The technological challenge is to develop an infrastructure for each technology and to keep it unlimited. And then add the resources in an aC in a flexible manner and consistently and by the customer, if the customer's aC needs it. If a developer starts a dC-mysql then goes aC and with 3,000,000 requests /sec with 50TB of data, the aC adapts to the needs automatically and will deliver the service with a quality that will remain less than 0.4s/request. Similarly if you have 100TB of emails in Exchange 2010 on 1,300 email accounts, the aC adapts automatically. And if we talk of storage of 23.4PB this is not a problem. The problème is ... the price that the customer will pay, but this is related to the customer's project. If the project is a success, the billing of resources used is a logical consequence of this success.

This is why the level of OVH billing will be very flexible. The developer proposes his project to his customer so that everything will be billed to his customers i.e. the project + the resources (let alone OVH). He may only charge for his development then leave it to OVH for billing the resources directly to the customer. We can even imagine that OVH bill any client and reverse the development to the developer. We can all imagine. It is in the Cloud-baby-Cloud. We lays the foundation bricks and all ideas are welcome ... do not hesitate ... oles@ovh.net

> For resellers:

myCloud enables resellers to sell services related to virtualization without taking the head with the technique. Ovh administer this infrastructure. In contrast to mC/cC/dC/cC, the reseller has a hand on the occupancy rates of physical servers and therefore the opportunities to start as many VM that he wants on his physical server. He decides what he wants to do. It's an offer that comes closest to VPS that we have known on the market but destined for resellers so that they can maximize income from one physical server ... or to ensure maximum quality of service. A choice.

I will stop here. If you get to here ... that is not bad ... Thank you !

All the best,
Octave