OVH Community, your new community space.

virtual macs and why support are winding me up

Neil
05-02-2010, 10:51
Quote Originally Posted by pdu
Done and it works great thank you very much. Is there anything I can say in future tickets to save us all such a headache in the future? I need to set another up later tonight, then order another 2 servers for more :S

Cheers
Leave the SSH key installed or when you open the ticket reactivate it, this means we have access straight away to test, otherwise tickets may go backwards and forwards waiting on you and us to do things.

pdu
04-02-2010, 21:09
Done and it works great thank you very much. Is there anything I can say in future tickets to save us all such a headache in the future? I need to set another up later tonight, then order another 2 servers for more :S

Cheers

fozl
04-02-2010, 17:58
Voila, it's done. Please check the ticket.

pdu
04-02-2010, 17:30
You don't offer support for virtual mac bridge configurations? How come it's in the control panel then? And Oles announced it on this very forum... This is an infrastructure issue, not an issue with my servers configuration. Thanks for looking anyway.

fozl
04-02-2010, 16:13
Not quite, our tech responded again to your ticket and then you replied with more information, confirming support key access. Granted it's been over 15 hours since then but note that we do not offer support for what you are trying to do, the tech is investigating nonetheless as he wishes to know why you managed to make it work on one server but not the other.

pdu
04-02-2010, 15:15
And another day goes by with no response to a critical ticket :/

pdu
03-02-2010, 16:24
ns352385.ovh.net - as specifically mentioned in the ticket also, and no, i didn't have to reopen it.

Thanks.

fozl
03-02-2010, 11:35
Strange, I didn't see an open ticket when I checked yesterday, did you have to reopen it?

In any case, our tech's responded and I see your reply. I'm interested to know on which server's you've done this successfully. If you want to provide a name on the thread instead of emailing us then do it with the last 2 (or 3) digits like this: xx.ovh.net, that should surfice.

pdu
02-02-2010, 17:32
Ticket: 347509

I've given this ticket number to support on every occaison I've phoned, all I ever get told is "it's been escalated". Unfortunately, escalated is just a work without ever seeing any action to back that up. The only way I have ever found that makes anyone jump is to email oles direct, which I've just done yet again on this ticket.

Thanks.

Incidentally, I only have 1 ticket open between all of those servers, so it would have been the only marked as open in your system under my nic handle.

fozl
02-02-2010, 16:42
We can't help you without more details, like the ticket number or the server name, as you have quite a few servers. Can you email the details to customersupport@ovh.co.uk.

pdu
02-02-2010, 16:28
Ok, I've tried ringing UK support several times about this issue, and I get the usual disinterested reaction that many of you will know and love. I've responded to the ticket with information at every stage, I raise very few tickets with OVH and only ever tickets to do with infrastructure/hardware issues, never anything I should be supporting myself, oh, and I spend > £1200 a month with ovh. You'd think between the above, someone might actually care enough to investigate a simple issue properly, wouldn't you? But no, of course not.

I use a number of SP-Mini's and turn them into virtual machines, 2 nodes per host, in order to do this, I switch the server into vkvm mode and install a vanilla centos 5.4 x64 base install. Then I install xen, reboot with the xen kernel and create failover IPs and Virtual Macs for the VM's i'm about to create. Once that's been done, I use virt-install to create the nodes in bridge mode, providing virt install with the virtual mac I've created. Now, every time I try to do this, it fails, because the manager never configured the port security on the switch correctly, in general, no problem, I raise a ticket and someone manually fixes it, then I build the VM. For some reason, the latest server I've tried this on they seem totally incapable of fixing the issue or listening to a single word I say. Just for fun, the last few replies on the ticket, proving they couldn't care less what you have actually done in the past, as long as support can avoid doing any real work:

For: up1174-ovh
Date: 2010-02-02 12:49:17

Dear customer,

If you're choosing another way for your installation it
will be possible, using a template, or using a iso file, or
if you want to use virt install, you can only use during
installation a configuration using nat.

In fact it could work if the installer provides you a basic
shell too during installation, it doesn't seem after my
tests.

Thanks to contact our support team if you want more
details.

Best regards

Max

For: OVH Help desk
Date: 2010-02-01 17:06:58

Actually, I can, and have, I have another server
(ns352385) which is configured in exactly the same way,
look in the support ticket history. I used the exact same
kind of installation method as well. Please resolve this
as a matter of urgency and then credit me with loyalty
points to the value of the time this server has been
useless so far yet I'm paying for it.

Thanks

For: up1174-ovh
Date: 2010-02-01 17:04:39

Dear customer,

You can't define this kind of configuration with this
installer, as explained in this guide, you need this rule:

http://guides.ovh.com/Vmware_Esxi_4

post-up /sbin/ip route add default dev eth0

The best solution is to install from a local cdrom iso, and
once your network configuration works you can use network.

Best regards

Max

Why am I finally annoyed enough to post this to the forums? Well, because I raised this ticket: Open on: 2010-01-19 13:48:47. 14 days, to still have ovh staff claiming it's not possible to do something I've successfully done before. I'm raising this in public in the very (very) low hope that support might begin to care enough to actually bother looking at it.