OVH Community, your new community space.

Plesk 9.0 / Kernel Bug

Neil
03-02-2010, 12:07
Hi Olliegooch

That would make sense, I thought you had installed our pre configured build. It is not a Vanilla build, there are a few changes:

The kernel - as you have already noticed, but you can compile your own/
The bootloader is Lilo, and not GRUB

Also an SSH Key has been installed by default, http://help.ovh.co.uk/InstallOvhKey - which can be removed if you want.

I have also moved this to the How To section.

olliegooch
03-02-2010, 11:30
Hi Neil,

The OS that I had installed on my plesk box was apparently a vanila ubuntu server x64, so you can understand my shock / concern when I had a security patch running that I had no idea was there.

This is the point; I asked for PLAIN and got PLAIN + What OVH thought was a good idea to put on there.

Beg's the question what else has been installed I dont know about.

Neil
03-02-2010, 10:46
Hi Olliegooch

You are correct with Plesk 9, but our distro does not have GRS installed by default on this distro. The problem is we did offer it on Plesk 8, so if you run the upgrade to 9 then you do get this issue.

However a clean install with our Plesk 9 comes with a Standard Kernel.

We wait on Parallels to fix the issue...

glidewave
03-02-2010, 01:06
Alternatively, you can go to ftp://ftp.ovh.net/made-in-ovh/bzImage/ and grab a non-grs kernel, update lilo and reboot.

I agree totally on the point that we should have the option for a STOCK centos (or other) linux install.

J.

olliegooch
02-02-2010, 22:21
Hi All,

It has come to my attention that by default, all OVH linux installs come with grsec patches as standard.

Plesk > 9.0 DOES NOT work with grsec. Grsec stops Plesk from ending its own dead processes - Thus, after around 3 days, your memory is full and cannot address anymore processes - Hey Presto, Dead box.

To fix this:

a) Respond to this thread and tell OVH its NOT ok to install security patches we didnt ask for.

b) Login to your web panel & select your server. Goto Services, Then goto netboot. Change the netboot drop down from "hdd" to any kernel that DOES NOT have grsec in the name (see below)