OVH Community, your new community space.

Cybersquatters

Neil
10-02-2010, 10:51
Quote Originally Posted by tim2718281
That won't necessarily help; the same registered trademark can be used by different businesses.

There was a case over the use of the name "pitman.co.uk" ...

http://www.nominet.org.uk/disputes/courtcases/pitman/
Don't forget itunes.co.uk the biggest one of all, the other thing with trademarks and copyrights is that you have to protect them, otherwise you can loose them.

tim2718281
09-02-2010, 18:13
Quote Originally Posted by Razakel
The company name is RegistrarAds, Inc., I think they're owned by Dotster.
Nameservers are revenuedirect.com.

Apparantly they're known cybersquatters and they want $5000. *******s. It's bloody cheaper to get a registered trademark and take it to WIPO.
That won't necessarily help; the same registered trademark can be used by different businesses.

There was a case over the use of the name "pitman.co.uk" ...

http://www.nominet.org.uk/disputes/courtcases/pitman/

IainK
07-02-2010, 15:44
At worst, you can get that domain back when it expires, as these companies are unlikely to renew it again if no one seems interested in paying for it.

Razakel
04-02-2010, 11:48
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Most companies you find do not even bother, look at digg.com (with 2 g's) flickr (with out the e).....

But there is more satisfaction filling a trademark dispute, that way they do not get a penny...
Yes, but you end up spending thousands on lawyers. :P

Plus, you'd be hard-pressed to get a domain that's a common word - particularly one that's been registered for longer than your site has.

I've grabbed the .net and the .info (because it was free), which will probably give me grounds to grab any of the other TLDs if someone squats on them.

Neil
04-02-2010, 10:25
Most companies you find do not even bother, look at digg.com (with 2 g's) flickr (with out the e).....

But there is more satisfaction filling a trademark dispute, that way they do not get a penny...

elvis1
03-02-2010, 23:10
Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
I refuse to give in, why give them incentive to keep doing this?

I lost a domain name to a squatter in '05 (because my company was made dormant and I forgot to renew - my mistake, I admit).

I could have a) paid US$100,000 he asked, b) get an expensive and long-drawn trademark infringement lawsuit started, or c) just let him deal with a domain he couldn't sell to anyone but me.

I bought my domain back in early '08 for £5.99 since he dropped the ball. Okay, so it doesn't say "First registration: 1996" anymore, but I was not going to play it his way...
smart move

Ashley
03-02-2010, 14:50
Domains are cheap, whenever I think of an Idea I get the .com,.net,.org and .co.uk domains straight away

Myatu
03-02-2010, 14:04
I refuse to give in, why give them incentive to keep doing this?

I lost a domain name to a squatter in '05 (because my company was made dormant and I forgot to renew - my mistake, I admit).

I could have a) paid US$100,000 he asked, b) get an expensive and long-drawn trademark infringement lawsuit started, or c) just let him deal with a domain he couldn't sell to anyone but me.

I bought my domain back in early '08 for £5.99 since he dropped the ball. Okay, so it doesn't say "First registration: 1996" anymore, but I was not going to play it his way...

IainK
03-02-2010, 14:01
Does the trade mark count if you registered it after they had registered the domain name though that is the question...

RegistrarAds, part of Dotster, are definitely a legitimate organisation that will provide you with your domain back. But at $5000 it's more than a rip off!

Razakel
03-02-2010, 14:00
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
I've dealt with this before, once, and I just paid the $100 and got the domain transferred to a registrar of my choice within 48 hours.

You'd probably want to Google the company name first to ensure that they are not scam artists though!
The company name is RegistrarAds, Inc., I think they're owned by Dotster.
Nameservers are revenuedirect.com.

Apparantly they're known cybersquatters and they want $5000. *******s. It's bloody cheaper to get a registered trademark and take it to WIPO.

IainK
03-02-2010, 13:52
I've dealt with this before, once, and I just paid the $100 and got the domain transferred to a registrar of my choice within 48 hours.

You'd probably want to Google the company name first to ensure that they are not scam artists though!

Razakel
03-02-2010, 13:50
WE HATES THEM WE HATES THEM WE HATES THEM.

Anyone had to deal with these buggers before? What do you have to do to get the domain, is it just easiest to pay them the £exorbitant they're asking for?